Instructions needed on getting into main light assembly - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2011, 10:35 am Thread Starter
Noob

Instructions needed on getting into main light assembly

Well, I was upgrading the stupid city lights with LEDs and one of them somehow fell out and dropped down into the bottom of the main headlight housing. ARGGHHHH!

So, how do I get to this thing? It looks like a sealed unit and the only way I can tell to get to it is take it all off. I looked in the hall of wisdom but didn't see anything. Was hoping someone had some instructions or a link on how to disassemble the front end to get to the light housing,

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I removed one of the high beam lamps to try and fish a picker-upper thing in there to grab it, but it didn't work and fear I might scratch the inside of the assembly.

Thank you!

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:37 am

1 box of bendable straws
2 a vacuum cleaner and
3 some imagination. Good Luck !

Have a Great Ride, Lenbo

2008 BMW K1200 GT
2000 HD Night Train
88 HD Softail Custom
86 1100 HD Sportster
69 900 HD Sportster
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2011, 6:03 am

So hard not to come back with a smart ass answer for this one; Is any part of the thing magnetic ? Otherwise I think you're just going to have to pick the bike up on end and shake it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2011, 9:36 am
Veteran

So one of the LED's itself? In other words just the tiny little actual glowing part? Damn that sucks. But you're correct. It's sealed up. The only way I could think of getting it out is by taking the whole assembly off and turning it upside down and shake it around till it fell out of the main bulb hole.

Either that or the next time the bike really pisses you off.....grab a hammer. That should be easy enough.

Let us know how it works out.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Veteran

Wonder if you can get some of that tacky stuff they wad up and stick stuff on the walls and refrigerators with onto a string and let it drop into the hole? It should go to the same area the LED is at and maybe pull it out. Just an idea short of dismantling the front cowling which may be the only alternative.

Mack
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2011, 8:01 pm
Veteran

Just walked in from the garage past my air compressor and thought of this post.

How about compressed air? Do you have a big tank? Crank it up to 120 psi or so. Maybe that little LED piece is small enough that if you plugged up one of the parking lamp holes real tight it would blast it out the main headlight hole. Just a thought.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 2011, 8:16 pm
Noob

Headlight

Its not very hard to get the headlight assembly out but it take a fair amount of time to do it because there are quite a few components that must come off to get to it. I believe the upper fairing must be removed in order to pull the entire light housing unit out which means both left and right fairing must come off, windshield and rearveiw mirrors, front indicator lights.... I used a couple file folders and drew the components on them and as I was working on one and pulled a fastener I made a hole in the folder at the same place where the fastener was located on the bike. The fasteners are different lengths and there would be no way I would remember where they all went when it came to put the bike back together Its easy to tear stuff up but always a bear to fix them. Good luck to you sorry for your mishap.

JC
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 12:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the responses!

Thanks for everyone's responses!

The led light was the ones that were from another thread that you can purchase on ebay. Its been cold and rainy/snowy in Frankfurt, so I am going to have to wait a bit before I can take off the panels -- no garage, using a cycle shell. I ordered a Stebel horn to install when I get the weather to cooperate to take everything off.

I tried the tacky stuff and all it did was leave residue on the inside of the housing assembly and I couldn't manipulate it to get where the bulb is resting. I also tried the compressed air suggestion but that too didn't work.

All of this for a 5 dollar led bulb!!!! Oh well!

Will post pics when I get a chance. Thanks again!

Josh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode