<!> finally solved ? but how ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

<!> finally solved ? but how ?

I FINALLY have gotten a e-mail from my dealer says he has fixed <!> on 2 K13GT's, but he also says its a complex operation and I have to leave my bike there 3 days. Anyone know what is involved in this ?

I am going to ask for more details and take my bike in but this is a SOFTWARE ISSUE, software caused it, reloading software will fix it, he should not have to dismantle the bike down to nothing over 3 days to fix this. He was "evasive" in e-mail when I asked what he was really doing to fix it. I am thinking he is just disabling the <!> from showing up

I know, I know, some of you had it fixed by "custom" BMW software but my dealer has never heard of that he says.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 1:40 pm
Enthusiast

I think this is bullshit if you ask me Mikey. As you stated, three full days to fix this issue? I'll say it again - bullshit.

And if you don't tell me exactly what you intend to do with my bike, you've lost me as a customer for life. No more service or future bike sales.

What west coast dealership is this anyway? I'm highly dubious...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 2:37 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr
I FINALLY have gotten a e-mail from my dealer says he has fixed <!> on 2 K13GT's, but he also says its a complex operation and I have to leave my bike there 3 days. Anyone know what is involved in this ?

I am going to ask for more details and take my bike in but this is a SOFTWARE ISSUE, software caused it, reloading software will fix it, he should not have to dismantle the bike down to nothing over 3 days to fix this. He was "evasive" in e-mail when I asked what he was really doing to fix it. I am thinking he is just disabling the <!> from showing up

I know, I know, some of you had it fixed by "custom" BMW software but my dealer has never heard of that he says.
complications in the repair business usually means they need your bike for parts so as to please another customer quickly . fix your issue and replace the part they stole with a new part (what ever that part was they needed) when it comes in...meaning it will take three days. ..not really that funny...it happened to me...I had to wait at a dealer to pick up my bike for 4 hours because they had forgotten they stole a part off it...needless to say they lost me as a customer. and it wasnt MAX

Last edited by BAK04GT; Jan 13th, 2011 at 2:42 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 3:23 pm
Addict-oholic

My bike has been into the shop (picked up and delivered 50 miles each way) twice. It is a software issue, and there is some kind of problem with the custom software written for the particular VIN#.

Today, my new dealer , Max, formerly Cliff's is going the extra step. They picked up my bike today and promised to get it fixed for sure. They know that they need to ride the bike for 40 minutes to one hour, before the <!> shows up.

So we will see on this 4th attempt in a year to fix this issue.. The bike rides extraordinarily well otherwise. This morniong, I did take a 15 minuite ride in 25 degrees in my neighborhood just to get it warmed up. Brrr, I damn near froze, as I was not wearing my heatred gear....Funny riding in the neighborhood with 3 or 4 feet of snow piled up alongside...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 4:43 pm
Addict

Beware the black ice on days like this. Roads look clean and then....your on the ground and buying very expensive side panels.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 5:51 pm
Veteran

One time I was at my dealer (Mischlers in Beaver Dam WI) to repair, I guess it was the fuel gauge, bad fuel strip. I wanted the update done to the cluster for the brake pad warning (so I wouldn't have to visit them to reset the brake pad warning light every time it came on).
I asked, when I picked it up, if they fixed that (it was a 1 day job to fix the fuel gauge, actually just an hour or two) and they said that they didn't, that they wanted to do that when I brought the back back for a service, because the last time they did one the bike was tied up a coupe DAYS while the dealer and BMW sorted through a rash of problems caused by updating the cluster (other control units also needing updating to make it all work), so I am guessing they might have had a problem similar to this and that's why it took so long, I can just see calls from the dealer to the BMW North America tech office and probably even back to Germany.

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2011, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
I think this is bullshit if you ask me Mikey. As you stated, three full days to fix this issue? I'll say it again - bullshit.

And if you don't tell me exactly what you intend to do with my bike, you've lost me as a customer for life. No more service or future bike sales.... .
I agree with dpancerz ...

A couple of hours at the most to do the "flash".

Back in March, 2010 I got the recall notice to address the low speed stalling issue. In early April I took the bike ('10 Model) in and the software was upgraded to the 14.2 version. At that time I told them my bike had never experienced the stalling problem. The BMW fix was to go to flash version 14.2. What the 14.2 flash did do was introduced the intermittent "Low Oil" light <!>. I had to take it back to get it "re-flashed", this time the dealer said it was version 14.5. The "Low Oil" light has not reappeared since the 14.5 update (even when it's a 1/2 qt low).

But what the 14.5 flash appears to have done was introduce a "high idle" condition when at high altitudes, (8000 - 9000ft) on very tight, steep, slow first gear turns, switchbacks. RPM's would hang at 2000rpm then slowly drop to 1500, then finally down to 1000.

I did take the bike back and talk to the service rep about it. They "re-flashed / upgraded" it to version 16. I didn't have the opportunity to get back up to the high Sierra passes before the roads were closed because of snow and with the amount of snow we've gotten it will probably be late Spring (May-ish) before some of them open up again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1980 FXB STURGIS
2010 K1300 GT

2011 K1300 S
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2011, 9:10 am
Enthusiast

when mine was done i left it for one day but it took 2 days prior to that to get the flash fix from bmw. dealer sent my vin into whome ever makes the program and it took 2 days to get it back in an email. left my bike overnite and was done the next day after work. if i would have left it there from day 1 then it would have been 3 to 4 days for them to send the vin in - wait for email back then install flash fix.

My dealer works well with me but i also have multiple bikes at home so i am never in a hurry. they do keep offering to let me take a 1300s home in case i want to sell my zx14 ninja and get something else

Real Pretty Blue 09KGT
00 REX 1100
01 REX 1200
08 ZX14 Dark Blue Metallic

93 Supercharged Lytnin
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2011, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Well I need tires anyway so they will get the bike when it cools back down in a week or 2 and they can have it for a few days (beautiful, sunny, high 60's-low 70's for the next week) and I will push for LOTS more info. It may be that it takes a few days to get the custom software from BMWNA and that is why he wants 3 days, he implied he had to take the bike apart but I will get more info and report back. The <!> may finally be fixed
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2011, 8:58 am
Enthusiast

35 Degrees Here With Snow On The Ground. I Swear I Am A Gonna Get A Dirt Bike For These Times So I Can Still Play.

Real Pretty Blue 09KGT
00 REX 1100
01 REX 1200
08 ZX14 Dark Blue Metallic

93 Supercharged Lytnin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode