Berlin Factory Videos - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 2:24 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Berlin Factory Videos

Here are some interesting videos taken at BMW's Berlin factory.

1/5 - Exterior shots & mechanical production
Slant/4 motor machining starts at 4:23
Frame welding starts at 10:30

2/5 - K1600GT 6 cylinders engine assembling
Slant/4 assembly starts at 4:43
Slant/6 assembly starts at 9:40

3/5 - Automatic & craft paint shop

4/5 - K1600GT assembling line
Full K1600GT build

5/5 - Final test & motorcycle packaging
K1600GT dyno test starts at 6:02

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Jan 16th, 2011 at 2:34 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 3:17 pm
Addict

Thanks for this, very interesting. So detailed you could almost see them not tighten the cam drive sprocket bolts properly...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 4:53 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Thanks for this, very interesting. So detailed you could almost see them not tighten the cam drive sprocket bolts properly...

I did notice the new hollow cams have a single large round-head bolt stuck through the end of the cam, rather than the weakened lobe/flange and two smaller screws used on the Slant/4 engines.

Interesting . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Veteran

Cool....did you buy one yet?

Interesting to see how many of the current 12/13 design features have carried over. Thankfully NOT the cam! Almost looks like it might hold up for a while.

One thing that is glaringly obvious though. They certainly do have a rather quiet / pretentious / uptight / German attitude going on in their work environment. Not that it's bad bad thing to be focused but..... just sayin'.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2011, 10:15 pm
Veteran

Hey, I heard hammers in the background of one of those videos. That can't be good. Probably one of my future bikes.

I did notice they use women on their graphics. I was at some BMW rally and the Shoei helmet USA honcho was there and he told us they found woman can do graphics far better than men can and it is obvious if you look at their higher end X-12 graphics helmets which seem to have some 3D depth to them in the sunlight. Interesting the Germans found that too.

Like their paint booth robotic stuff, although I found myself saying, "Hey! You missed a spot!"

Yeah, I saw that new cam layout on the 1600 engine. Seems they learned their lesson on the two dogs driving anther gear set and another cam too off one. Too much inertia for what they were moving down the line for those two little ears on the intake cam.

That 1600 engine sure has a lot of very high-pitched whine though. Don't know how I'd like that and probably would need ear plugs to stop that. Maybe a different pipe if that is where the whine is coming from. Never heard a 6 banger Gold Wing make that much high-pitched noise.

I did like that yellow S1000RR at the end though. A bit of ghost flames and it would be hot!

Mack
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 10:05 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
....That 1600 engine sure has a lot of very high-pitched whine though. ....

Mack
This is their way covering up or adding to the other signature sounds.....you know...the clunk....the grind....the box of rocks....the tap....the chatter....now we have the "whine"! ....NO wait.....that's just the sound of disgruntled owners.

Seriously though it does look like they've at least learned a few lessons from the current GT's. It sure would be nice to see them put something out that gets back into that 6 figure mileage with confidence range. I like the idea of a 5 year unlimited or some such higher mileage warranty. Sure would go a long way towards the confidence factor.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Seriously though it does look like they've at least learned a few lessons from the current GT's.
Well technically BMW never 'learns a lesson.' They just make totally unrelated, coincidental design changes.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 3:06 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
That 1600 engine sure has a lot of very high-pitched whine though.
That's just the classic K-whine, updated for the new decade.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 4:10 pm

Boy, what an unreliable pile of dung the K13 is/was compared to the new bike. Just knowing I may have to replace a timing chain and possibly cams under an extended warranty many, many thousands of miles and years down the road has me convinced to trade this turd now.

I'm sure the K16 won't need a timing chain as the years and miles roll by.....Let's see my Concours did at 67K, my buddies FJ did, etc.

The devil I know is better than the devil I don't know until proven otherwise.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2011, 3:49 pm
Enthusiast

Really enjoyed the heck out of those videos Ken, thanks so much for posting the links. If I didn't still enjoy my 2008 model GT I'd seriously be in the market for the new bike. And with only 9,000 miles I've hardly even broken it in, right?

What was the substance the engine builders were applying to the blocks and components? I'm speaking specifically of the bright orange brushes. I know what the dots mean from the pens, but I'm unsure about the orange brushes. My guess is oil of some sort.

Great viewing for those of us who are fans of BMW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode