Trading my K1200GT-07 for what?! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 8:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Trading my K1200GT-07 for what?!

Im thinking of trading in my K1200GT -07. But the big question is what...

I like to ride like a sport bike, but with the comfort of a touringbike... I got a lot of "turns".
Use my bike 90% to commute to work, with line splitting on highway.
Looking at high "end" mc with power (at least 150hp)

Thinking of

K1300S - to mutch sport in riding position?! Sufficient cover for weather (wind/rain)

Ducati Multistrada 1200 tour - great and fun bike.... (had it for test last summer)

K1600GT - to big?!... think it is more touringlike.. i like sport..

Mods done: Power frk, stepper motor, sloppy shifter, Laser duo slip on, sports air filter, Zumo mount, decor stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 9:04 am

Why?

If it works, does the job and is reliable... keep it
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 10:42 am
Addict

Yeah, if you're looking for a high-end, 'comfortable' bike with serious power then it's hard to beat the GT (as long as you ended up with a good one reliability-wise.) What do you feel the GT lacks? That might help guide you to the next bike. If it's more power you're looking for then you probably will have to give up some comfort/protection/luggage capacity. Even the 1600 doesn't have significantly more horsepower than the GT as it has been tuned for torque. Something like a 1000RR will walk away from it of course but that's a totally different bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 11:35 am

K16 - Nice, but heavier and more $$.
C14 - less of everything including cost.
FJR - See above
ST1300 - Great ergos nice wind protection.
RT - Great handlng bike, superb comfort & protection, lacking in HP compared to an RT.

There are some other "fun" bikes with some legs and perfromance to them like the Triumph Tiger, etc, but they don't offer as much protection.

The ST and RT are the only other real Sport-Touring bikes I would consider until the K16 proves itself.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 2:21 pm
Addict

I think it depends on your size/shape.

I'm 5'8" and the K1300S fits me like a glove. Its not quite the LT for touring but i don't do 2up much anymore so it works for me.

My cousin is about 5'11" with daddy long legs and arms, he says its a bit uncomfy for him and would have to modify the pegs if he was riding a KS all the time.

No contest on the power and I lane split all the time in socal, luv the fold in mirrors and insta-power to get through when needed.

funny story...K12S with a PCIII and dyno mapped..splittin lanes on the PCH in socal, at a red light...these cars on both sides decide they want to hammer and leave me in a bad spot. So I gassed it of course Me, nor they, expected to see my front wheel at eye level in between both cars, they sure backed off quick!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 6:20 pm
Veteran

Only thing out there right now that I would be interested in is the Z1000 Kawi. Not sure how easy it would be to "bag it" though.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 7:37 pm

how about finding one of the last of the k 1300 gt's that may be sitting in a dealership? same as the one you have, lower miles, more warranty...life could be could again...

kbikeinbc
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Enthusiast

Go ahead, you know you want the Multistrada. Everyone I know who has one absolutely loves it, and after two long test rides I agree and will have one shortly. I'm keeping the GT too, just in case of a return of the mechanical gremlins, I will have something to ride.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2011, 6:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

I visited the shop yesterday, and sat on the K1300S.. this is definitly to much sporting-position for me. Im sitting with 2 options left,- K1600GT and Multistrada. If i can sell my K1200 private, i probably go for an multistrada, and an used K1600GT when available later.. ..But.. got an good offer for trading in K12 vs. K16 at the dealership..

....Have to say.. the K1200Gt i the best bike I have ever ridden... The bikes is very expencive here in Norway due to tax, so i have to think economy for how long i have the bike..
Price in norway: K1600GT: 60 402 USD
Multistrada 1200s touring: 46 768 USD
...if the price where half, I would have them both!!!

Mods done: Power frk, stepper motor, sloppy shifter, Laser duo slip on, sports air filter, Zumo mount, decor stripes
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:52 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kverna
I visited the shop yesterday, and sat on the K1300S.. this is definitly to much sporting-position for me. Im sitting with 2 options left,- K1600GT and Multistrada. If i can sell my K1200 private, i probably go for an multistrada, and an used K1600GT when available later.. ..But.. got an good offer for trading in K12 vs. K16 at the dealership..

....Have to say.. the K1200Gt i the best bike I have ever ridden... The bikes is very expencive here in Norway due to tax, so i have to think economy for how long i have the bike..
Price in norway: K1600GT: 60 402 USD
Multistrada 1200s touring: 46 768 USD
...if the price where half, I would have them both!!!
Perhaps you did the USD conversion wrong?!? If not, I cannot get my head around those prices! How can the multi be 130% more than the US price?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode