Can I un-German my 1200gt switchgear? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2011, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Can I un-German my 1200gt switchgear?

Hi there, new to the place. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but…

I just picked up a high-mileage 06 1200gt and I have to say I'm in love with everything except the quirky left/right signal light paddles. I guess I'm just stuck in my ways but I like to leave my right hand only one task -- the crazy throttle response is demanding enough as is!

Are the 1300's "regular" switches swap-able? (despite all the worrisome things I've read about their recalls and everything I'm still curious.)

thanks and have a good one,

rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2011, 3:53 pm

Hmmm, I think it is doable, but it will not be easy, and will require some wiring modifications. It will not be plug and play for sure, or will it???

2007 K1200GT Jet Black

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2011, 11:05 pm
Noob

German Switchgear

I think once you use it for a while, you will wonder why all motorcycles aren't like the "BMW of old" style.

Of course my philosophy may be colored by 100K+ miles on a 1985 K100RS as my first real bike.

You want to signal left, hit the left button. Right, right button. So easy.

Digdug
06 K12GT 40K miles
TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2011, 12:43 am
Looking for better limits...

Lightbulb

What he said ... I have both the brick gt and the the 2010 version. The paddle version requires less focus. Or, I'm just used to it. Has been a long while since I've honked the horn after a left turn, though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2011, 4:01 am
Addict

........Now finding the horn button when I need it is something I have always had trouble with.

I've ridden long enough to get used to the switches - except the horn, if I was making drastic changes, I'd make the left turn switch a horn signal. But it would be strange for another Beemer rider to ride the bike like that.

To the OP: BMW use a box of electronics to take momentary switch presses from the turn signal switches. The same box provides quite a clever delay linked to the bike road speed. It would be quite a challenge to replace their system with the more usual (Jap) center off type slide switch and build in the self cancelling.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2011, 7:51 am

Practice makes perfect!

Imagine, the wife has a f650cs with the switch on the left side, then my 1978 r100/7 has the old up and down thumb switch on the right , my k12gt gets the separate paddle switch.

I like to ride all the bikes and I used to get confused a lot at first when I switched bikes. But now it seems that my brain is programmed so each time I switch bikes, it only takes a few miles and I'm ok.

May be I'm gifted . (Joke)

Bests Regards

Sylvain
08 k1200gt
08 F800S wife's
02 wr426
1978 r100/7
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2011, 9:27 am

As someone who's GT is their first non-Japanese bike, I'd have to agree with the "get used to it and you'll be fine" theory.

I fumbled a bit with mine for a while, but now it's a no brainer. And switching bikes (back to bikes with "regular" switchgear) hasn't really been a problem either. Like jumping from a stick shift car to an automatic. You might occasionally reach for the clutch pedal in the automatic, but if you switch frequently enough (IE driving your car to work and getting into the work truck), it's unlikely.

Now, after getting used to them, do I feel they are superior? Er... no. But, I can live with them.

Smilodon

2008 K1200GT
Deep Blue Metallic
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2011, 12:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'll give it a few months and see if I'm still being a wuss.

all the best

rob
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2011, 5:48 pm
Enthusiast

It shouldn't be too hard. Try training yourself to ride old British bikes and then modern ones on the same day and you'll think the switch gear is nit-picking. After a while it becomes second nature and I have had no issue going from differing switch gear, shift patterns and location of said components. Go look at a Harley Davidson and see how their switch gear works.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 9:05 pm

The only thing wrong with the BMW switch gear is the horn button. Rather than go to a bulky, clumsy Japanese style turn signal switch like they've done on the K13GT I wish they had just fixed the horn button/turn signal spacing. The turn signal paddles needed to be just a tiny hair lower than what they were, and the horn button needed to be dead center and designed to push IN instead of UP. But, that's not how they do it in Aachen, I guess...

GTRider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode