Alternator - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2011, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

Alternator

Can anyone tell me the make and model number of the alternator on a 2006 KGT? Also, where is the alternator located? I had a thread a few months ago about a voltage monitoring issue and I still have the indicator although that bike runs like a charm. Thanks in advance.

David J.
Dallas, TX
2006K1200GT (Heidi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 8:48 am
Addict

The alternator is located just above the engine block on the left side. In the RepROM it looks like a proprietary custom BMW part but the the fiche seems to show a completely different part and lists it as 'GENERATOR - 70A DENSO'. Curious.

Last edited by smiller; Jan 22nd, 2011 at 8:54 am.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:00 am
Veteran

Yeah, and it's $870 too. Might want to see if you have a rebuilder in your area. I know a lot of the RT alternators go out to local rebuilders as the new ones are prohibitively expensive.

We went to one once on a high school auto shop field-trip and the guy was doing some Jaguar alternator and was rewinding the coils. He showed us the separate room that had huge 3' spools of magnet wire in different sizes and colors and they fed out through holes in the wall onto the winding machine. It was fun to watch and he made it sound like it was really hard but he had it done pretty quick and looked like new. I still remember him saying he "Was a very smart man as he could spell his name forwards and backwards, 'Otto.'"

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode