Extended Warranty Companies - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 4:10 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Extended Warranty Companies

Just sitting here looking at the snow, hoping for a February thaw and thinking how bad my cam chain/tensioner will sound when I start my 2006 GT with 38k miles. I am going to ride it without worrying about it, after all 'who of you by worrying can add a day to his life',but I just know its a matter of time until it goes south.

I know several of you have extended warranties and I'd like your recommendations to start my search as I trust this board more than google. Thanks.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 6:41 pm
Veteran

If you're worried about your cam tensioner or it's been making noise, do your self a favor and do a valve check and take care of re-torquing the flange and applying some loctite while you're at it. Apparently there's also a new guide for the chain that I've seen mentioned here but I'm not privy to it. Some one else might be able to chime in on it though.

As for Warranties I bought the Zurich one here.

Mainly because the only BMW dealership left that's and worth a shit within a days ride to me...Big Sky...sold it and would honor it. Since they've been there a while I'm hoping that it'll still be good should I ever need it. So far I haven't.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2011, 11:25 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
If you're worried about your cam tensioner or it's been making noise, do your self a favor and do a valve check and take care of re-torquing the flange and applying some loctite while you're at it. Apparently there's also a new guide for the chain that I've seen mentioned here but I'm not privy to it. Some one else might be able to chime in on it though.

As for Warranties I bought the Zurich one here.

Mainly because the only BMW dealership left that's and worth a shit within a days ride to me...Big Sky...sold it and would honor it. Since they've been there a while I'm hoping that it'll still be good should I ever need it. So far I haven't.
Out of curiosity would you mind sharing how much this peace of mind cost you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:16 am

Extended Warranty Companies

From my perspective the extended warranties have value for those of us who not only keep the bike for longer periods, but also had significant mileage above the standard warranty. I bought mine from Western Service Corp. out of Menlo Park that was recommended by my dealer in San Diego. I had the same contract on a previous K11 (over 100K miles) and, when needed, they performed per the agreement.
Consequently, when I acquired both the 07 and 08 GTs I added the same contract. With any luck it will never be needed.
Good luck on your decision.
EJ
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:38 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto
Out of curiosity would you mind sharing how much this peace of mind cost you?
$2200 for 3 years unlimited mileage. It seems to have fairly good coverage. Everything but normal wear items. However this was after the big kaboom and it was already out of factory and well into the 40k mileage range. Had I bought it while still in warranty it would have been significantly less. Don't remember exact but maybe $1600?

Spendy yes but some piece of mind any way. Maybe it means it'll go a couple more years with now problems!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:46 am
Enthusiast

Western Services 3 year unlimited mileage, bought just before the BMW warranty expired, was $580. If you really drill down on shopping this, you can find a dealer that is hungry for your business. Don't let them tell you that you have to buy it from a dealer that handles BMW's. It is an insurance contract, and where you buy it does not effect where Western will cover claims. Lot of BS out there and a lot of markup on these policies,

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 1:16 pm
Veteran

True David, but remember that just because the warranty company says that they will cover the repair costs from any dealer or repair shop doesn't mean that the repair shop or dealer will actually do the work. There are plenty of shops out there that don't want to deal with extended warranties at all. Especially if you didn't buy it from them. They may do it but we all know the stellar reputation of so many of the dealers out there! For me it was more piece of mind that if and when I have a big blow up some where ....again ....that even if I had to cover it out of my pocket at first...eventually....hopefully.... ....I'd get it back. Even if I had to tow the thing to Big Sky's front door.

I remember when I looked at the Concours I could have bought the 3 year unlimited that started after the factory wore out for like $350. Go figure.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 3:55 pm
IBR# 366

When I'd did this research, Pinnacle and Western Services both had great reviews, and both were offered by my dealer. Western Services cost slightly more, but had slighlly better coverage so I went with them. Cost was ~$1,200 on a new bike, but the dealer took that cost off the price of the bike.

But when I did have a major failure, they completely blew me off and refused to cover anything at all. And they were incredibly rude about it as well, to the point that the dealer actually apologized to me about it all.

A friend also had a similar bad experience, and my dealer no longer offers Western Services at all.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Jan 23rd, 2011 at 4:04 pm.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 4:22 pm
Addict

Yes, that's yet another potential pitfall with extended warranties. In my experience if you can get a good initial price and if you experience a major covered expense (and if they end up paying at all) then sometimes an extended warranty can pay off. A lot of caveats there, and you also have to consider that even if you need $2000 in repairs a $1200 extended warranty won't have saved you $2000, but $800. If you need a vehicle for critical purposes (such as work) and can't afford to pay for a major repair then an extended warranty might be useful as a type of insurance, but otherwise In the end it seems to me that an investment in an extended warranty is a gamble with long odds.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 8:58 pm
Veteran

I've got the Western policy on mine also. Never used it yet as it's been okay after spending the first 3 years in various shops for various issues. Does have a lot of loopholes to get out of anything if you read it.

I might have to haul it to the shop that sold me the $1,700 policy though should I need it. May even have to sue them to get them to honor the damn thing too. Dunno.

I do know we had an extended policy once on a refrigerator (Amana) that gave up exactly 2 weeks past the one-year factory warranty as the compressor headed south after some two-bit fan stopped working. We thought we were covered, but the rotten insurance scoundrels packed their bags and left the earth. Dealer went belly up too. Big waste of money.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode