1300GT Vs Kawi Connie - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 5:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

1300GT Vs Kawi Connie

This spring I am going to be purchasing a new ride.
I have it down to either a 1300 GT (yep I know it is at its end with the 16600 GT ) or a Kawasaki 1300 Concourse.
I really like the BMW and have ridden one and like the handling and the power.
However after reading a bunch of the posts on the 1300 Gt I am somewhat suspect of the reliability. I am planning a 6 week trip across the US from Northern BC to The southern most part of the US.
Would most owners of the 1300 Gt, if given the chance buy another one ?

I don't want to be stuck somewhere between walk and don't walk with a nice new broken bike !!!

1975 R100S
2007 Ducati 1098S

I feel like a 3XL in a Medium Universe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 7:10 pm
IBR# 366

With 150K miles on two different '07 K12GT's, I've had pretty much every failure you can imagine, and been towed more times than I'd like to count.

Yet my next bike will be a K13GT. It is a vast improvement over the earlier K12 bikes. Yes, there are still some issues, but I'll have that K13GT in every US state before long.

The Connie14 is a fine bike if that's what you want. But if a K13GT is calling to you, then go for it and don't look back. Just don't buy the last one out from under me . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 9:17 pm
Addict-oholic

Smile

The 1300GT is a very reliable bike. It does not let you down.. yes, there are some minor issues that always need to be taken care of. I had the stalling issue. fixed, and the switches fixed. Both of these problems have been taken care of in warranty. The later models have these issues taken care of at the factory. I have not heard of any other real problems on this bike . Maybe one or two people have had some, but that is true of any mechanical bike or auto. Usually you hear about the problems on the net, but you don't hear of the problem-free bikes or cars.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2011, 7:37 am

Thumbs up K1300gt

"Dear BMWForever, Snap you up the newest K13GT you can get your hands on "And Don't Look Back"!!! Trust me, it's seriously worth it. -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2011, 8:32 am

I looked at all of them when I was shopping. My KGT was my first non-Japanese bike, and I had many concerns. But the riding experience trumped those concerns. For me (riding two-up in particular), there is no better bike once the riding starts (for what I want anyhow)..

Now, off the bike you can get bogged down by price, performance, reliability comparisons and other issues. But it finally comes down to riding the bike (tough to get a test ride on some of the contenders I realize).

So I'd say ride them both and choose the one you like. Use the "logical" comparisons to narrow the field, but buy the best bike to ride (for you). Anything else, and you'll be disappointed in the long run.

Smilodon

2008 K1200GT
Deep Blue Metallic
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2011, 11:04 am

as you read these forums, make sure you are identifying between the 12GT and the 13GT's.

Most of the time people just say my GT blew up or my GT had this happen and they are talking about the 1200. The 1300 still has issues but its not a 1200 and the 13 is too new for people to really know what they will be like long term, until Ken (Meese) buys one anyway, then we will all know within a few weeks how they do long term.

I am very happy with my 13GT, I have had my share of "issues" but the dealer resolved them all at no cost to me and with the exception of the battery dying 3 weeks into owning the bike, it has always started, when they fix <!> next week I will have a perfect bike again. I would take mine cross country this afternoon if I had the chance.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2011, 1:04 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
....Yet my next bike will be a K13GT.D
So why no K1600GT?

Seems like it would be perfect for the IBR. Actually, I'd bug BMW NA as being sponsor if I were you and ask for some price break. They've sponsored less and give them so ad copy time too (if they aren't afraid it will blow chunks in Wyoming needing a two-state tow to a dealer.). If they know you are in the opening field, they should put their money where their reliability should be.

Call that VP guy in charge of North America motorcycles, Pieter de Waal in NJ and talk to him.

Mack
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Keep what you read in perspective. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of GT owners are very happy with their bikes.

I just purchased my '10 GT and had some of the same concerns as you after searching the forums. However, the 13GT has benefited from many improvements, and I feel very comfortable taking the bike anywhere.

As for the C14, I also considered it. Honestly, it's hard to compare the C14 to the '10 13GT. The K13GT has nicer ergos, better wind protection, longer range, more power, nicer handling, and all the amenities you could ask for.

It's your choice, but if you can swing a GT, I don't think you'd regret it.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Agreed....my late model 07 has never let me down, has provided LOADS of 2 up fun, and I still love to look at it. I guess you could buy the Kawi....but it will always be ....well....a Kawi.....

kbikeinbc
07 kgt
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2011, 8:54 pm Thread Starter
Noob

GT 1300 here I come

Gentlemen:
Thank you for the feed back. I did get a VERY short ride on a 1300GT last summer. My wife loved the bike. Se said it was the most comfortable "sporty" bike she was ever on.
I have phoned a dealer and they still have a few left. I think a deposit will be heading their way soon.
My only real problem is that I am 850 kms. from the nearest dealer. I am not afraid of twisting wrenches on any part of the bike I am a licensed mechanic and have rebuilt everything from D8 Cats to Ducatil Desmo heads so I don't think BMW can throw anything at me that I can't handle. Except of course for an ECM problem as I have nothing to hook up to the bike with.
We are planning a 6 week ride this summer so it will get a good work out.
My 1975 R100S has over 125000 miles on it and is still going after some TLC.
It never left me on the side of the road with something I could not fix.
If the 1300 Gt comes close to that I will be a happy man

1975 R100S
2007 Ducati 1098S

I feel like a 3XL in a Medium Universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode