Buying new GT13, any cons? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 2011, 7:18 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Buying new GT13, any cons?

I would like to know what are your thoughts about buying a brand new 2010 GT 1300?
Are there any cons that you may consider, since this model is beeing discontinued ?

I'll apreciate any thoughts and tips.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2011, 12:13 pm

great bike, you will love it.

The only negative is that you may look at the new 1600 with a wandering lustful eye...or you might say that the 1600 is too heavy and you prefer the svelte 1300.

BMW will support the 13GT for a long time so I would not be afraid of getting one. The only issue I see is that dealers are still not bringing the price down, I was at one dealer the other day and they had a 2010 13GT for more money than I paid for mine a year ago, I would have thought they would have started discounting already. Yeah, I lusted and drooled over a F 800 ST this weekend as a replacement for my 13GT...I daily commute my bike and the smaller bike just seems like it would be easier, then I came to my senses, think i will just get a smaller GS for the "other" times.

The GT is just a GREAT bike!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2011, 12:28 pm
IBR# 366

Hey Mikey,

You really want to get that F800, so that I can buy your K13 at a nice discount.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2011, 3:06 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr
great bike, you will love it.

The only negative is that you may look at the new 1600 with a wandering lustful eye...or you might say that the 1600 is too heavy and you prefer the svelte 1300.

BMW will support the 13GT for a long time so I would not be afraid of getting one. The only issue I see is that dealers are still not bringing the price down, I was at one dealer the other day and they had a 2010 13GT for more money than I paid for mine a year ago, I would have thought they would have started discounting already. Yeah, I lusted and drooled over a F 800 ST this weekend as a replacement for my 13GT...I daily commute my bike and the smaller bike just seems like it would be easier, then I came to my senses, think i will just get a smaller GS for the "other" times.

The GT is just a GREAT bike!
Your are right they do not want to go down, the best price I got was 20700, which I am seriously considering it, but I will keep looking around, who knows if I get lucky I get it for 19500. Let see what happens.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2011, 4:49 pm

Unhappy K1300GT Pricing

This is similiar to what Harley wanna-buyers were going through for so many years until factory stepped up production: As the K1300GT's get scarcer and scarcer, the price is only going to go up, not down. At least until those Princes at BMW Central realize their HUGE error in deciding to halt production on the K1300GT and they re-start it again based on the Hue and Cry that is inevitably going to start hitting the fan in the next 2 yrs!! -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 2011, 5:30 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc52
This is similiar to what Harley wanna-buyers were going through for so many years until factory stepped up production: As the K1300GT's get scarcer and scarcer, the price is only going to go up, not down. At least until those Princes at BMW Central realize their HUGE error in deciding to halt production on the K1300GT and they re-start it again based on the Hue and Cry that is inevitably going to start hitting the fan in the next 2 yrs!! -Dr Ron
Yes they will regret it, you are right!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2011, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Hey Mikey,
You really want to get that F800, so that I can buy your K13 at a nice discount.

And you guys are right they will regret it but I very seriously doubt they will ever reconsider and build the 13GT again, its done for and they will move on and work on the 16 until they build the 18 while still regretting having stopped the 13GT. Trust me on this, the rarefied air in mahogany row of management does not allow them to publicly admit mistakes and go back to something that was popular and that the public wants, they think they need to look forward at all times.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2011, 12:49 pm
Veteran

I wish BMW would get their touring rigs down to a weight that is manageable and even 'fun' to push around in the garage. I've grown weary of 700 pound behemoth bikes since the lighter-weight S1000RR arrived. The new 1600 engine alone precludes that.

Maybe a titanium frame or engine is next? Something along the lines of their S1000RR engine in a lighter frame that has hard bags. Sort of a beefed-up Ducati ST4. They need to get their sport-tourer down to under 500 pounds where "A real motorcycle should be" and not some 800-900 pound monster that falls over at the nearest gas pump and then costs $3,000 in plastic bits to fix (like I don't know about that! ).

If they want it to weigh as much as a car, then put two more wheels on it and just call it a car.

Mack
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 12:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr

And you guys are right they will regret it but I very seriously doubt they will ever reconsider and build the 13GT again, its done for and they will move on and work on the 16 until they build the 18 while still regretting having stopped the 13GT. Trust me on this, the rarefied air in mahogany row of management does not allow them to publicly admit mistakes and go back to something that was popular and that the public wants, they think they need to look forward at all times.
Aahhh, Grasshopper-- turn back the clock to 1984 and the intro of the K-bike and the release of the (NotSo) "Last Edition" boxers. The boxer returned and hung on until 1995. So long as the K1300S continues to be produced the re-introduction of the K13GT is a possibility. It's all in the numbers...the sales numbers, that is. BMW will sell all the K16s they can produce for the first two years, but beyond that there is still the question of whether or not the true sport-touring crowd will spend the $$ and overlook the weight of the K16GT. I know I won't be taking that plunge as I consider adding 50lbs of weight to a machine to be unthinkable.

Best,

GTRider
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 10:07 am
Enthusiast

Should you buy a K1300GT?

Can you afford the bike?
Can you afford the maintenance?
Can you afford to be away from your wife and kids?
and lastly...

Can you afford the speeding tickets!?

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode