Timing chain rail - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2011, 2:31 pm Thread Starter
KJG

Timing chain rail

So... I've had my 2007 K1200GT since June of 2007 and have loved every minute of ownership. It's never really given me any bad issues... up until now.

A little while ago, upon starting the bike, I would get a loud noise coming from the engine. I had it taken to BMW of San Francisco where they have been looking it over. Come to find out, the chain rail broke. Along with that, the broken pieces have caused more damage to the engine.

So, where we stand, is that the dealer called the extended warranty company (Western) and gave them an estimate. Western's response was: "ouch!" They sent someone out right away to look over the bike and my maintenance records (trying to determine if the bike hadn't been maintained properly or if anything else was wrong).

SF BMW is doing more looking into the engine to see what else is damaged. Right now, it comes down to the "short block" or the "long block" depending on what else is wrong and what parts they can find. Apparently, since BMW stopped production of the K1200, parts are harder to find.

The best case scenario is they find the parts, fix my bike and I get it back in a few weeks. The worst case scenario is that they can't find the parts and it's a total loss.

Oh... the estimate that the dealer gave Western for the long block was $12K. The short block would be about $4-5K. Blue book on the 2007 K1200GT is about $11K.

I would love to get it back as I absolutely love the bike, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. But just out of curiosity... how much is the K1600 going to cost?

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2011, 4:21 pm
Veteran

Sorry for your bad luck. How many miles were on your bike?

This ownership thing has me a bit leery of BMW if they cannot fix the bikes after 4 years for lack of parts. A blown engine at 4 years with possibility of no parts and the bike's depreciation just doesn't sit well with me. Really is though these bikes are 100% disposable at the end of their warranty period and a good reason to ditch the bike before the warranty runs out. I'd be really upset if I were making 5 year payments on one and parts were no longer available. The one post here about painted body panels not being available wasn't too enlightening either.

The K1600GT will probably be around $27K-$28K out the door. With the luck of their recent engines I'm even more leery at dropping that much cash on the bike since a replacement engine on it will be far more than the 4 cylinders.

Maybe it is time for a Harley again with BMW's durability and reliability in question. Now, as of today (Feb. 4, 2011), here they are offering customer specific customizations for a price. I've never had as much problems with their bikes as I've had with the GT, and I can still get parts after 4 years since they don't change much in a decade. Even the (choke..cough..cough) Gold Wing has been more reliable, just too bad it is a 900 pound pig.

Anyway, good luck with the repair and outcome.

Mack
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2011, 7:15 pm Thread Starter
KJG

I had about 68K miles on her when this happened.

I was also at a place where the clutch was needed to be replaced and the 72K mile service was approaching.

I'm a bit on the fence right now. This is the first bike I've had in over two decades so I don't have a lot of experience with other bikes. I absolutely love this machine and would love to have it back. If they are going to fix it and give it back to me all under the extended warranty, then I am very cool with that. I'm sure I would have to cover some of the costs for the clutch. But a 2007 K1200GT with a new engine? Yeah, I would certainly go with that.

And while the new K1600 does look extremely impressive, the only way I would spend that much for a bike is if I win the California lottery! If for some reason they opt to declare my current bike a total loss, I would take the money and look at something different. Looking for another K1200GT would be asking for the same problem to come around the bite me in the ass. The K1300 might be worth the look, but would I have the same issues?

I guess I would have to start shopping for bikes all over again. Bummer.

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2011, 9:31 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
This ownership thing has me a bit leery of BMW if they cannot fix the bikes after 4 years for lack of parts. A blown engine at 4 years with possibility of no parts and the bike's depreciation just doesn't sit well with me.

Mack
Does it really surprise you though? These things have been blowing up with regularity and they only made so many.

KJG....sorry for your pain man. Been there done that. It sucks. The prices they gave you are correct though. Top end 4 to 5k....whole thing roughly 12. If they offer you even a semi reasonable amount of cash to total it out....take it and run away! You would be VERY lucky to get any where close to 11k for the bike even if it were in perfect condition and still under 36k miles and warranty.

I get poo pooed a lot for bitching too much about these things but no matter what they tell you....they are a ticking bomb. If you own a 12 OR 13......no they never really fixed the engine design.....then you are playing roulette. Sooner or later there is a good chance that it will bite you in the butt. It is a piss poor engine design and you are now experiencing that first hand. The lack of parts is just an additional slap in the face.

Do post the outcome with Western if you would. Always good to add to the knowledge base.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2011, 10:57 pm Thread Starter
KJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W

I get poo pooed a lot for bitching too much about these things but no matter what they tell you....they are a ticking bomb. If you own a 12 OR 13......no they never really fixed the engine design.....then you are playing roulette. Sooner or later there is a good chance that it will bite you in the butt. It is a piss poor engine design and you are now experiencing that first hand. The lack of parts is just an additional slap in the face.

Do post the outcome with Western if you would. Always good to add to the knowledge base.
I does bother me that I was told they can't find parts for it and it's not even four years old.

My first question to myself was... "what will I get if they total the bike?" I don't think another 12 will be for me and I feel that the 13 might be too close to the 12. The 16 is going to be out of my price range. I just couldn't justify $25K for a motorcycle. I know the damn thing will be loaded, but not loaded enough for that price.

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2011, 11:47 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG
I does bother me that I was told they can't find parts for it and it's not even four years old.

My first question to myself was... "what will I get if they total the bike?" I don't think another 12 will be for me and I feel that the 13 might be too close to the 12. The 16 is going to be out of my price range. I just couldn't justify $25K for a motorcycle. I know the damn thing will be loaded, but not loaded enough for that price.

I think you are wise to be cautious of a k13. Not enough of them have racked up sufficient miles to see if they willl grenade too. As Robert said the design is similar to the 12 so no reason to think it won't be a problem on some of them as they age. If you do decide to go that direction be super careful about buying a first year k13 gt. They were plagued with electronic bugs and tthere are a bunch of dumped and repurchased ones out there just waiting to frustrate their new owners. Later built 2010's seem to be less problematic regarding intermitent electronic glitches so you only have to worry about failed final drives and the aforementioned valve train self destruction.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2011, 12:28 am Thread Starter
KJG

I'm not sure where I would go if I don't get my K12 back. I've been looking at the alternatives ( Concours, ST1300; FJR1300). I do like the Concours, but it's the Triumph Sprint ST that stands out amongst the others.

But, I shouldn't put the cart before the horse. I am still hoping they can fix my K12 and give her back to me. I think we still have lots of riding to do.

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2011, 9:25 am
Enthusiast

Just for grins go ride the new Multistrada and see if it speaks to you.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2011, 3:58 pm

This in no way is meant to diminish the frustration of the OP, but just to put things into perspective.....

Granted, there have been more valve train issues than anyone would like. However, let's not ignore the fact that many are rolling along with high mileage and are still very pleased with their bike. Hence, the Chicken Little rhetoric isn't indicative of the experiences or satisfaction of K12/K13 owners as a whole. Remember, about 85% of this forums membership have not had any valve train problems. So this idea that these engines are "ticking time bombs" is hyperbole at the least. Again...have there been some problems...you betchya...but not everyone is having catostrohic failures, and in most cases aren't having valve train issues period.

OP, I would put emotions/rhetoric aside and see how the economics of this situation play out and go with whatever makes the most sense to you.

Sounds like you really like your GT, and if fixing it is within the realm of cost-effectiveness, it might be the best option if nothing else out there floats your boat.

Personally, I'd have no real concerns about an '07 GT with a new short/long block in it provided the work was done properly and backed up by a warranty.

Last edited by eng943; Feb 5th, 2011 at 4:11 pm.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2011, 5:04 pm

Something's not quite smelling right here. How can there be no parts available when the K1300S is still in the production lineup? I'm thinking your dealer needs to revisit the parts issue with BMWNA/AG, or perhaps you should check in with another dealer.

Unfortunately, any federal laws relating to requiring manufacturers to maintain parts inventory for a given period of time post-production were gutted or repealed in the 90s.... so if there truly are no parts available then your extended insurance carrier is probably going to have to total the bike. You MIGHT be able to buy it back from them and go shopping for an engine from a crashed bike... Beemer Boneyard and Cycles Recycled, etc.

Best,

GTRider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode