Service / Maintanence Manual for K12GT II - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2011, 10:47 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Service / Maintanence Manual for K12GT II

Is there such thing as a service manual for a K12GT II. I saw one for the K12GT first edition, but it did not cover the 07 model, which is what I have.

Secondly, at some point, will an idiot light come on that says service required, oil required, etc that will REQUIRE the bike to go to the dealer to turn that light off?

Phil

--------------------
Boston Bagger (in Florida)
--------------------
2008 BMW K1200GT (Grey)
2007 BMW K1200GT (Silver) (Totaled by other)
2004 BMW R1150RT (Silver Ghost)
2001 Harley ElectraGlide STD. (Black)
1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Olive Green / Cream)
1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro RT-1 (Black)
1968 Yamaha 125 / 175 Enduro AT-1 (White)
1963 Honda 250 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2011, 11:19 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bagger
Is there such thing as a service manual for a K12GT II. I saw one for the K12GT first edition, but it did not cover the 07 model, which is what I have.

Secondly, at some point, will an idiot light come on that says service required, oil required, etc that will REQUIRE the bike to go to the dealer to turn that light off?

Phil
No doubt there is a manual out in cyberspace if you look. I bought mine from a dealer who gave me a break as she thought it was way too expensive (Go figger!). There seems to be several versions or editions of them and some are better than others.

You can buy a GS-911 and reset any codes that pop up and avoid the dealer having to do it.

Mack
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2011, 10:43 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bagger

Phil
Your BMW dealer will sell you a service manual DVD. The current one covers 2006-present K1200 and K1300 models (R, S, GT) in both US and non-US versions. The service DVDs are updated periodically, but changes are relatively minor (e.g., final drive oil quantity changed from 220 ml to 180 ml).

The service manual DVD has a custom application that runs under Microsoft Windows. The procedure files are no longer PDFs, and haven't been for a while. If you have a Mac or Linux computer, you can run it under Windows in a virtual environment (VMware, Parallels, BootCamp, etc.)

Illegal pirated copies of the repair discs are available on the Internet, but I actively discourage anyone from rewarding those scummy people who profit from (read: steal) another's hard work. Many of the bootleg copies are out of date. Please reward your local BMW dealer with your business.

I vaguely recall that there were issues around turning off the brake wear warning with the original 2007 K1200GT software, but it was changed to auto-reset in a software update. If your 2007 K1200GT has had any software update at all (or the airbox change) both of which are likely, then no dealer-reset issues remain.

The GS-911 that Mack recommended is very useful for many reasons, not only for resetting lights. I wish I had one. :-(

2008-and-later KGTs come with a "time for dealer maintenance" light, but not the 2006-2007 models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2011, 3:41 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Please reward your local BMW dealer with your business.

I don't think that's ever a problem with the way these Ks were engineered.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2011, 4:11 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
I don't think that's ever a problem with the way these Ks were engineered.
Ooooooo.......bada bing bada boom! Give that man a beer!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode