New 6 Price - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2011, 2:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New 6 Price

I heard from my dealer on Saturday that BMW had just released the price for the new Luxury 6 cylinder LT at $25K with all the goodies included. Actually surprising all of us how low this motorcycle is priced, speculation was to keep it cheaper than the Gold Wing.

Heard anthing different lately?
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2011, 4:24 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT
I heard from my dealer on Saturday that BMW had just released the price for the new Luxury 6 cylinder LT at $25K with all the goodies included. Actually surprising all of us how low this motorcycle is priced, speculation was to keep it cheaper than the Gold Wing.

Heard anthing different lately?
Scott
Haven't heard much of anything even from my local dealer and I would not be at all surprised if they did not carry one since even the LT sales have been flat for them. Actually, I can think of maybe 3 dealers in CA who may not carry them. If "potential" down-payment customers are being called by BMW NA then it might be bad sign as the USA importer may be worried too. Time will tell.

All I know is the local H-D dealer has sold two CVO H-D Ultras at $42,000 out the door. Bad part is that 36 H-D dealers shuttered-up last year in the USA and they produced about 100K less bikes/yr. than two years prior. H-D corp. made too many move into swanky new buildings by the freeway for exposure and their owner's got over their head in debt along with the real estate crash.

Mack
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2011, 4:57 pm

K16 Pricing

Here is a listing for models and options that was just posted:

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...price-released

Not much has been changed in pricing, but oh the listings seem expansive.
Just something to chew on for another couple of months.
EJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Veteran

Shouldn't this be in the 16 forum?

Anyhow.....here's the black and white of it:

__________________________________________________ _____________

Full Press Release:

BMW Motorcycles

When BMW announced it was building the most advanced six-cylinder touring motorcycle on the market, anticipation immediately began.

BMW fans, especially those in the touring segment, wanted every bit of information available regarding the 2012 BMW K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL motorcycles.
The German manufacturer pleased these motorcyclists to some extent when it began trickling information in late 2010, but knowledge like feature packages and pricing were kept hush.

That was until Monday, when BMW Motorrad USA released the latest feature packages and pricing on the K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL.

As for pricing on these motorcycles that will be available through authorized BMW Motorrad USA dealers this spring, the K1600GT will have a MSRP of $20,900, while the K1600GTL will have a MSRP of $23,200. (additional destination charge of $495 is not included in MSRP).

Following are some features that are built into each model. But first, some basic facts about these touring bikes.

The 2012 six-cylinder BMW K 1600 GT and GTL motorcycles will offer the most advanced technology available in the touring segment. Here are a few innovations built into the BMW motorcycles:

* The world's lightest and most compact six-cylinder engine on a production motorcycle. At 226 lbs (including clutch, gearbox and alternator) and less than 22 inches wide, the six-cylinder engine in the K 1600 models is comparable in size to four-cylinder power plants.
* The world's first Xenon adaptive headlight on a motorcycle. Innovative electronics automatically compensate for the lean angle around corners and ensure the beam of the headlight is always directed at the road ahead.
* The world's most advanced audio and communications system on a motorcycle. Bluetooth for wireless communication, Sirius satellite radio with a complimentary 12-month subscription, integration for iPod, USB stick and auxiliary input, AM/FM tuner, pre-wired for Navigator 4.
* A multi-controller on the left-hand grip, which allows riders to operate the motorcycle's systems and adjust its settings without taking their hands off the bars.

Here's a list of features that both base models of the K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL come equipped with:

* Xenon headlight with dynamic leveling
* Heated seat
* Heated grips
* Cruise control
* Multifunction display, on-board computer and multi-controller
* Integral ABS
* Luggage rack
* E-Gas throttle with three power modes
* White LED turn signals
* Power adjustable windshield

The Base Model K 1600 GTL also includes:

* Bluetooth
* Audio system with tuner, Sirius satellite radio with one-year complimentary subscription, iPod/USB integration, 3.5mm Aux input, GPS preparation
* Top case in body color
* Comfort backrest for top case
* Third stop light for top case
* Comfort windshield
* Comfort footrests
* Chrome body kit

The Standard Package - only offered on the K 1600 GT - will have a MSRP of $23,045 and will include:

* Preparation for GPS
* ESA II (Electronic suspension adjustment II)
* Safety package (Xenon adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control, tire pressure monitor)

The Premium Package - available on both models - will be offered at an MSRP of $24,540 for the K 1600 GT and $25,845 for the K 1600 GTL.
Premium package equipment for the K 1600 GT includes:

* Audio system with tuner, Sirius satellite radio with one-year complimentary subscription, iPod/USB integration, 3.5mm Aux input, GPS preparation
* Safety package (Xenon adaptive headlight, dynamic traction control, tire pressure monitor)
* GT Luxury Package - ESA II, power central locking system, anti-theft alarm

Premium package equipment for the K 1600 GTL includes:

* GTL Luxury Package - LED fog lights, ESA II, power central locking system, anti-theft alarm

Color options for the K 1600 GT are light grey metallic and vermillion red metallic. Color options for the K 1600 GTL are royal blue metallic and mineral silver metallic.

Pre-Sale Program to End Feb. 28

Due to extraordinary customer response, the K 1600 GT/GTL pre-sale program will end Feb. 28 to enable BMW Motorrad retailers to fulfill pre-orders in a timely manner.
Todd Anderesen (Marketing Manager, BMW Motorrad USA) says: "The positive response to our pre-sale program speaks volumes about the reputation of our dealers and the strong confidence consumers have in BMW's technology and quality.

__________________________________________________ ________________

HA! That last line really bites my ass?

And why is it a 2012? Common already. Just to make themselves look cool? This thing was announced months ago and it's being released in the spring of '11.

So if you want a new GTL loaded.....by the time you're done with everything....farkels...extended warranty....new this and that....etc....you'll be out roughly $28-30 grand.

I'll be passing this year.....

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2011, 6:30 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
If "potential" down-payment customers are being called by BMW NA then it might be bad sign as the USA importer may be worried too.
I don't think they're worried about not selling enough. I think they're worried about some dealers claiming too many of the first production run, leaving other dealers without product to sell.

In fact, it's been confirmed that there are well over 500 North American pre-orders, even before the official price list came out.

If the GT and GTL manage the same stellar reliability that the S1000RR has done (and that BMW keeps promising us), then this is gonna be a huge new thing for BMW . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2011, 6:49 pm
Addict

There are always a number of early adopters but those prices are stunning. The economy is improving but I'm not sure it has recovered that much yet (meaning enough to support high-volume sales after introduction.)

But the 1600 sure looks to be a technical tour de force and without doubt an incredible ride and I could see one in my garage someday if 1) they prove to be reliable, 2) when they appear on the used market so someone else can pay the 50% depreciation, and 3) owner service is possible/practical (lack of that last item would be a firm deal-killer.)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 2011, 7:47 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I don't think they're worried about not selling enough. I think they're worried about some dealers claiming too many of the first production run, leaving other dealers without product to sell.

In fact, it's been confirmed that there are well over 500 North American pre-orders, even before the official price list came out.

If the GT and GTL manage the same stellar reliability that the S1000RR has done (and that BMW keeps promising us), then this is gonna be a huge new thing for BMW . . .
Careful dude....you're coming precariously close to sounding like a BMW suck up.....and we all know just how much you love them!

BTW....500 pre orders is still a LONG ways to go to the 7-8,000 12/13's that they sold every year. Maybe it will increase dramatically after they prove to be a bit more reliable.

I have to admit lusting after one too. But they're going to have to prove themselves first.

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 12:16 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
BTW....500 pre orders is still a LONG ways to go to the 7-8,000 12/13's that they sold every year. Maybe it will increase dramatically after they prove to be a bit more reliable.

Not meaning to steal this thread at all but those figures, "7-8000 12/13's" per annum, is that accurate? Also, again pardin my ignorance, I assume the figures relate to GTs only? I've often wondered about total sale numbers of GTs in the USA market.

Thanks in advance.

One more thing, the prices for the new 16, from an Australian perspective, are unbelievably cheap. My 12GT's (SE) total cost was $35K in '07 when our dollar was worth around 70/75 cents to your dollar. I might be a little bit out there but not too much. It will be interesting to see how much BMW Australia will steal from us this time.

John
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 6:47 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12GT_Downunder
.... It will be interesting to see how much BMW Australia will steal from us this time.

John
They'll make it up somehow. Maybe a $1,200 oil change?

I don't get why the Toyota Prius has never gone over $90 for service at the dealership even with synthetic oil, but taking the BMW motorcycle into the shop wads up $500 - $700 easily - excluding tires which tack on another $400.

Only saving grace was the S1000RR only cost me about $110 for the first service which included some computer hook-up to release the RPM lock and torquing the steering stem. Maybe a chain ain't so bad after all, but I sure hate cleaning one of them messy things.

Would be nice if BMW did like there cars and had some free service for the first 3-5 years like on their cars. They could do it if they would ditch the damn manual valve adjusters on a touring bike. They've gotten away from the manual carb sync on the S (so I've heard) so monkeying with valve train is the next order of business. Make the cooling system lifetime as well. Okay, the brake system too since no one I know does a fluid flush on their ABS cars at any garage I've been too unless they rebuild the cylinders. My last two cars never had that brake fluid flush done in 7 years before they got traded in.

Oh, and do like Harley does here where the dealer picks the bike up at your house and does the annual service for $95 and then brings it back too. Great service for only $95.

Mack
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 2011, 10:04 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12GT_Downunder
Not meaning to steal this thread at all but those figures, "7-8000 12/13's" per annum, is that accurate? Also, again pardin my ignorance, I assume the figures relate to GTs only? I've often wondered about total sale numbers of GTs in the USA market.

John
John, yes, just the next gen GT's. '06 and onward. BMW official production numbers are hard to come by. We did a poll/survey years back here where we tried to come up with an accurate figure using the VIN #'s which are sequential. 7-8,000 was the high guess giving them a lot of benefit of the doubt. Some pegged it more like 3-4,000 a year. Especially considering other factors too like using known sales of other bikes of theirs. The GS and GSA's are well documented and it took almost 30 years before they hit 500,000 of them in all their various flavors. :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_GS

Though the last part of the decade saw a large increase in numbers per year. So since the GS's outsell the GT's by like 3-4/1.... using the most current production figures that can be found...2004-2007...saw roughly 100,000 GS's total. Rough math that's 25,000 GS bikes a year at a 3-4/1 ratio plus the VIN's we came up with....7 or 8,000 GT's total per year worldwide. Might be a smidge more or less. I would think less with the last few years economy.

So in keeping with the K16 thread title. I would be very surprised if they sell any where near the number of these new bikes as they did with the 12/13 GT's. Maybe they'll get a new bike push the first year. But I bet they're happy if they sell 5,000.

And Mack....my wife just got her second Prius 3 weeks ago...gen III...great cars btw.....any how it uses 0-20W synthetic. Toyota oil change service intervals 10,000 miles....me I'll do it every 5,000. (10,000 miles between oil changes and no other maintenance on a high rev engine....and it's warrantied for 100,000 miles....imagine that! ) Any way....I had the dealer do the initial service at 500 miles even though they don't say it's necessary....$48.65! And the next 2 services are free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode