Michelin Pilot Road 3 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2011, 7:58 am Thread Starter

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Michelin Pilot Road 3

Just got a new set of these fitted to my K12GT - as I've only done 10 miles on them so far, you'll have to wait and be patient for my review! Shouldn't take too long as I'm racking up around 15-20,000 miles a year in all weathers but all the hype looks promising. Will keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2011, 5:51 pm
Noob

I put 100 miles on my PR3s this morning. Great handling and grip, although the sipping looks odd to me.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 8:23 am

PS3's

If you don't mind, where did you buy them? How much did you pay for them? I need some new shoes soon. I've been thinking either Avon Storm II's or Michelin PS3's. -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 9:41 am

Conisdering the new Conti Road Attack 2's, but will anxiously await your review.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 1:43 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzle
Just got a new set of these fitted to my K12GT - as I've only done 10 miles on them so far, you'll have to wait and be patient for my review! Shouldn't take too long as I'm racking up around 15-20,000 miles a year in all weathers but all the hype looks promising. Will keep you posted.
I put the Road Pilot 3's on my last RT specifically because the roads here in Florida are often made with crushed coral as the rock for our roads. It's very rough on tires - as it is on skin !!!

I needed to have a harder compound tire, while not wanting to look my cornering capabilities when I ride up the the Smokies. I think that the entire industry has to move in the direction of a dual compound tire process. It only makes sense. I was very impressed with those tires. When my current tire goes, I plan on the same tire and the follow on tire.

Just my opinion.

--------------------
Boston Bagger (in Florida)
--------------------
2008 BMW K1200GT (Grey)
2007 BMW K1200GT (Silver) (Totaled by other)
2004 BMW R1150RT (Silver Ghost)
2001 Harley ElectraGlide STD. (Black)
1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Olive Green / Cream)
1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro RT-1 (Black)
1968 Yamaha 125 / 175 Enduro AT-1 (White)
1963 Honda 250 Scrambler
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 1:28 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc52
If you don't mind, where did you buy them? How much did you pay for them? I need some new shoes soon. I've been thinking either Avon Storm II's or Michelin PS3's. -Dr Ron
It was an insurance replacement at Adventure BMW. I don't recall the price.

**edit**

I came across the invoice, $179 for the front.

Last edited by it_mike; Feb 26th, 2011 at 9:31 pm.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2011, 5:49 am Thread Starter

Update

Well, as promised in my first post, a quick update on the wear rates and nature of wear experienced on the Pilot Road 3's.

These were fitted on the 16/2/11 and I ride every day in all weathers averaging around 15,000 miles a year.

Whilst I don't nail the throttle in every gear, I do ride in a spirited way, most of my mileage is totally upright on motorways but when the twisty stuff beckons, I love to play as much as the next rider.

I'm writing this now as I have just started noticing that it will soon be time to replace these - the rear is getting a little squared off (plenty of tread left on the shoulders but not much in the centre) and the front has cupped quite badly but still plenty of tread left.

The mileage at the time of fitting was 35,133 and the mileage now is around the 45,900 mark - which, by my calculations equates to over 10,000 miles on one set of tyres - very pleased with that!!!! I was actually quite surprised when I dug out my old invoice on which I'd noted down the mileage to learn just how much I'd done on them - the next pair will be more of the same after that long term test.

Great in the wet, stable and confidence inspiring and plenty of grip on the rare occasion when the roads are dry. Juts before getting these fitted I had a low speed spill coming off a roundabout in the wet onto a lake of diesel - this really dented my confidence in the wet and led me to become "Johnny Upright" for many months.

When I got these new baby's fitted, they have really helped me get me confidence back and come highly recommended.

They cost me £230 fitted with the wheels still on the bike.

Hope this is of interest / use when you are considering your next purchase.

Best wishes all,

Darren
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2011, 10:10 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzle
Well, as promised in my first post, a quick update on the wear rates and nature of wear experienced on the Pilot Road 3's.

These were fitted on the 16/2/11 and I ride every day in all weathers averaging around 15,000 miles a year.

Whilst I don't nail the throttle in every gear, I do ride in a spirited way, most of my mileage is totally upright on motorways but when the twisty stuff beckons, I love to play as much as the next rider.

I'm writing this now as I have just started noticing that it will soon be time to replace these - the rear is getting a little squared off (plenty of tread left on the shoulders but not much in the centre) and the front has cupped quite badly but still plenty of tread left.

The mileage at the time of fitting was 35,133 and the mileage now is around the 45,900 mark - which, by my calculations equates to over 10,000 miles on one set of tyres - very pleased with that!!!! I was actually quite surprised when I dug out my old invoice on which I'd noted down the mileage to learn just how much I'd done on them - the next pair will be more of the same after that long term test.

Great in the wet, stable and confidence inspiring and plenty of grip on the rare occasion when the roads are dry. Juts before getting these fitted I had a low speed spill coming off a roundabout in the wet onto a lake of diesel - this really dented my confidence in the wet and led me to become "Johnny Upright" for many months.

When I got these new baby's fitted, they have really helped me get me confidence back and come highly recommended.

They cost me £230 fitted with the wheels still on the bike.

Hope this is of interest / use when you are considering your next purchase.

Best wishes all,

Darren
Thank you for sharing with the group. If it isn't too much trouble, it would be nice to see photos of your tires (er ... tyres). I am especially interested in the cupping on the front.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2011, 7:15 pm
Noob

michelin RP 3

put on a pair end of september. Put on 8,000 kms ( 4,800 miles ) and I really love them. Didn't do much rding two up but the tread looks like no wear. It sticks to the road very well and are quite trustable in the rain. I can say that they are far superior to the Bridgestone that were initially on the bike. I am expecting a good durability, such as 16,000kms
( 10,000 miles ) .

Al Brown61

BMW K1300 GT 2011
HD FLHTCUI 2007 ( 61,000 KMS )
HD FLHTCUSE 2006 ( 15,000 KMS)
HD FLHTC 2005 ( 29,000 KMS )
HD FAT BOY 2001 ( 32,000 KMS )
BMW K1200 RS 1998 ( 44,000 KMS )
BMW R1100 RT 1997 ( 38,000 KMS )
HD ROAD KING 1994 ( 79,000 KMS )
HD SOFTAIL HERITAGE 1989 ( 98,000 KMS )
BMW K100 RS 1986 ( 125,000 KMS ) KEPT IT 9 YEARS.
HD FLH CLASSIC 1984 ( 30,000 KMS )
HD STRUGIS 1981 ( 24,000 KMS )
HD LOW RIDER 1978 ( 42,000 KMS )
HD XLCH 1972 ( 15,000 KMS )
NORTON COMMANDO 1970 ( 16,000 KMS )
TRIUMPH T120R BONNEVILLE 1968 ()12,000 KMS )
HONDA 305 SS 1966 ( 6,000 KMS )
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2012, 5:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Thank you for sharing with the group. If it isn't too much trouble, it would be nice to see photos of your tires (er ... tyres). I am especially interested in the cupping on the front.
Sorry - only just saw this. Photos not a problem, leave it with me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode