Bike won't start after battery replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2011, 11:02 am Thread Starter
Noob

Bike won't start after battery replacement

I couldn't find anything in the forum about this issue.

This is probably a coincidence, but I just replaced my 08 K1200 GT battery. I went ahead and bought the BMW battery.

My bike would still start before replacement, but it was very weak. After I put in the new battery, the bike won't start. It turns over very strongly, but won't fire up. Is this just an unhappy coincidence, or is there some way I screwed up in replacing the battery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2011, 3:14 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3nme

This is probably a coincidence, but I just replaced my 08 K1200 GT battery. I went ahead and bought the BMW battery.

My bike would still start before replacement, but it was very weak. After I put in the new battery, the bike won't start. It turns over very strongly, but won't fire up. Is this just an unhappy coincidence, or is there some way I screwed up in replacing the battery?
I assume that your kill switch isn't engaged, right? Even if it looks okay, I would try turning it off in each direction, then back to the center run position, just in case.

This is a real long-shot, but try resetting the throttle:
Key On
Key Off
Key On (do not start engine)
Roll the throttle to full on ('til it stops)
Roll the throttle to full off ('til it stops)
Repeat throttle full on and off two more times.
Key Off

Try starting the bike again. I doubt it will work, but it doesn't hurt to try.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2011, 3:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks XmagmaRider. I did try that. I called the dealer and they said that the bike should start even though the throttle would not be propersly set if I did not do the procedure you outlined.

The bike is now on the back of a truck,heading to the dealer. They are going to fix it, probably under warranty.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2011, 5:02 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks XmagmaRider. I did try that. I called the dealer and they said that the bike should start even though the throttle would not be propersly set if I did not do the procedure you outlined.

The bike is now on the back of a truck,heading to the dealer. They are going to fix it, probably under warranty.

Thanks again.
Before you potentially get suckered into a "should be covered" situation make sure you didn't forget to hook up any wires to the battery....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2011, 5:22 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Ok, now you have me worried. What wires would be connected to the battery other than the positive and negative cables? If battery were involved, wouldn't the bike not turn over?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 2011, 8:15 pm
Rookie

My guess, Thats all folks. Let us know what they find.

McWideglide
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2011, 2:36 am
Veteran

Quote:
Ok, now you have me worried. What wires would be connected to the battery other than the positive and negative cables? If battery were involved, wouldn't the bike not turn over?
Not sure on your model but some have more than just the neg and pos cable going to the battery...just in case there was one and you just didnt catch it..thats all.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2011, 5:14 am
Addict

Quote:

Maybe there was nothing wrong with the original battery to start with! Hope the shop can diagnose your starting problem. Did you check to see if it was no-spark, or no fuel situation before replacing the battery, or was it just slow to turnover? Did you have the original battery on a charger? Was the original start problem only when the bike was hot, or all the time? The BMW battery is overpriced and not the best available, alternatives have been identified, search this site for Odyssey battery. My 08 GT is still on orig BMW battery, always on a charger at the house and works fine. Good Luck, please post a message when you get the diagnosis from the dealer.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2011, 10:05 am
Addict

Was it in 'Neutral"?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2011, 7:59 pm
Enthusiast

Side stand up

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode