top box help...... :( - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2011, 1:10 pm Thread Starter
Noob

top box help...... :(

Hi

Bought a second hand 49litre box for my k1200 gt

Attempting to take out the inner shell as mechanism is sticky and have a new barrel to fit. Have removed all screws however still feels as attatched at front near handles and mechanism... Local dealer wants to charge me 100 and i am sure there's a knack to it....

Please .... any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2011, 1:52 pm

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
I re-keyed mine using the instructions on this site - do a search for them. Took me 10 minutes and was a breeze. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 2011, 11:08 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fro5tie
Hi

Bought a second hand 49litre box for my k1200 gt

Attempting to take out the inner shell as mechanism is sticky and have a new barrel to fit. Have removed all screws however still feels as attatched at front near handles and mechanism... Local dealer wants to charge me 100 and i am sure there's a knack to it....

Please .... any ideas ?
I don't recall having to remove the liner to replace my lock cylinder (barrel). I had to use a small light and a probe with a small pointy end. I found instructions using google. it was not easy to free the barrel but I eventually got it without removing the liner. Hope that helps.

I found this on another forum: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15782

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2011, 7:00 am

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Yeah - that's it, I used a bent paper clip sellotaped to a pencil to press the tiny button in and release the mechanism - a bit fiddly but didn't take long if you know where you're looking / which direction to press. The whole barrel then just comes out.

Just found my original thread and a link to the instructions you need:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21765
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2011, 8:45 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzle
Yeah - that's it, I used a bent paper clip sellotaped to a pencil to press the tiny button in and release the mechanism - a bit fiddly but didn't take long if you know where you're looking / which direction to press. The whole barrel then just comes out.

Just found my original thread and a link to the instructions you need:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21765

I tried without success to remove the tumbler using these directions (I am not a patient person), so ended up taking the box with the printed out instructions to a locksmith. He was able to remove the lock assembly and change the tumblers to match my key for very little money (think it was around $25).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 7:36 pm
Addict

I spent a hour of my life probing that silly hole and would be happy to have found someone to do it for $$, but I like the pain

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode