My "new" ride arrives tomorrow!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2011, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

My "new" ride arrives tomorrow!!!

I just purchased a 2008 K1200GT from Max BMW - the bike was a buy back from BMW NA with 5600 miles on it - warranty good through July. I take delivery tomorrow when the service truck stops at my house...

Thanks to Chuck Milmot's guidance I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT - Buydig.com had them on same for $185.00 shipped. I bought some RAm mount parts from Expressmounts.com to go along with my existing ones that I previously used on my 1997 K1100LT.

Was lucky enough to find a used 49L topcase on IBMWR.org so that arrives today... Still up in the air between the Scala Rider and Sena SMH10 headsets though.

Can't wait for spring now!
Jeff Guntert
Schenectady, NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Did you ask why the bike was a "buy back" ?

BTW:Congrats, my 08 1200 GT is the most fun comfortable bike bike I've ever owed.Ride it like you stole it.

Have a Great Ride, Lenbo

2008 BMW K1200 GT
2000 HD Night Train
88 HD Softail Custom
86 1100 HD Sportster
69 900 HD Sportster
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2011, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenbo
Did you ask why the bike was a "buy back" ?

BTW:Congrats, my 08 1200 GT is the most fun comfortable bike bike I've ever owed.Ride it like you stole it.
Hey Lenbo!
Apparently the PO was complaining about a clutch issue - I was told that BMWNA replaced the clutch after the buy back. I've got a few months to "beat on it" and see if there are any other issues. I'm really happy as I bought the bike through a BMW dealer for $11,000 and have the option of extended warranty as well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2011, 5:28 pm
Addict

I love my 2008 GT, 6000 trouble free miles of excitement and POWER! Enjoy your ride.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2011, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
I love my 2008 GT, 6000 trouble free miles of excitement and POWER! Enjoy your ride.
Thanks! I have to wait until Thursday before the horse gets to the stable as we got dumped on with a foot of snow yesterday so the dealership had to reschedule the delivery :-(

I was looking forward to installing the GPS cradle and do some wiring... And some drooling as well.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonJeff
I just purchased a 2008 K1200GT from Max BMW - the bike was a buy back from BMW NA with 5600 miles on it - warranty good through July. I take delivery tomorrow when the service truck stops at my house...

Thanks to Chuck Milmot's guidance I purchased a Garmin Nuvi 1490LMT - Buydig.com had them on same for $185.00 shipped. I bought some RAm mount parts from Expressmounts.com to go along with my existing ones that I previously used on my 1997 K1100LT.

Was lucky enough to find a used 49L topcase on IBMWR.org so that arrives today... Still up in the air between the Scala Rider and Sena SMH10 headsets though.

Can't wait for spring now!
Jeff Guntert
Schenectady, NY
a vote for the Seana unit here, I really like mine
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2011, 6:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_west
a vote for the Seana unit here, I really like mine
Thanks for the feedback!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2011, 8:59 am

Just an added Sena note. I got a set for Christmas and added the mounts that allow you to use earbuds for headphones.

I have used Autocom units for years, and the intercom sound quality on the Sena is simply not as good. But, it's good enough and the benefits outweigh the disadvantages so far. I will be sticking with the Sena. Good piece of gear.

The components and general usage are simple, well thought-out and good construction. Earbud option is very nice.

I do miss the "talk back" (hearing your own voice over the intercom) feature of the Autocom, though...

Smilodon

2008 K1200GT
Deep Blue Metallic
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon
Just an added Sena note. I got a set for Christmas and added the mounts that allow you to use earbuds for headphones.

I have used Autocom units for years, and the intercom sound quality on the Sena is simply not as good. But, it's good enough and the benefits outweigh the disadvantages so far. I will be sticking with the Sena. Good piece of gear.

The components and general usage are simple, well thought-out and good construction. Earbud option is very nice.

I do miss the "talk back" (hearing your own voice over the intercom) feature of the Autocom, though...
Thanks for the input. I had an AutoComm on my 1997 K1100LT and it worked well - still is as a matter of fact. I bought it shortly after they started selling them here in the US so it's probably 8-10 years old.

I will try the Sena most likely but a friend of mine works at a local bike shop and have me a set of the Scala headsets to try as well. If neither does the job I'll invest in an updated AutoComm system I suppose.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2011, 10:41 am Thread Starter

Better late than never

Well my bike was finally delivered yesterday - what a beauty! Now all I need to do is find a Marsee Corona mount for a bag I've been eyeing and install the new lock into my 49L topcase and I'm ready to ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200GT.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	12929  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode