$550 down the drain! - Page 5 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2011, 1:28 pm
Rookie

I feel for your lose of $$$. I lost the same on that seat.
Mine was hot and uncomfortable and had removed it and rode home on a pillow from TN.
I had a real issue with how the cover was cheaply stapled to the pan.
There had to be 8-9 staples in the corners that you could see while the seat was on the bike.

I should have gone with my first choice but I tried to save some $$$. Live and learn.

My Day-Long was is far better in every way and both seats match now.

Jim

07 KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2011, 1:37 pm
Veteran

Regarding jeans, get the BMW City Jeans as they come with armor in them (hip, and a long knee-shin piece. It sort of heat-molds to your body as you wear it too.). Their second version of the City Jeans uses D-Rings and a nylon strap for the waist belt and I've grown fond of it. The first model had some elastic in the belt and they always felt loose no matter how much you snugged them up. Not so with the second design. Either will zip to whatever other BMW jacket you wear: an Airflow in the summer, or Savannah, or Comfort Shell, etc.

Size can be a bit fickle so it's best if you try them on or if you order them from Sierra Online, give them all your wearing dimensions as they are Unisex sized.

Mack
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2011, 10:33 am

Agreed, I got a pair of these a few months ago in the winter sale. Used them on the bike for the first time yesterday as it's getting a bit warmer over here now. Good trousers. All day comfortable. Solid construction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 2011, 12:43 pm

ok, so since this thread has degenerated into a pants thread, here goes. When I ride I wear heavy leather pants but when I ride to work (daily) that is not feasible so I wear chaps. They go on/off very easily and were custom made a decade ago so they fit but of course they do leave your rear end exposed to road rash. The theory is that you don't slide on your "derrière" that much as you fall over and slide during a crash...that is the theory but I would feel safer in proper riding pants.

I can't find pants to fit...I am not the skinniest guy in the world, 36" waist but 29" inseam, every pants I try even the "short" ones seem made for a 6footer and the knee guards are protecting my ankles. There has to be gear for the height challenged right ?

And as for the seat issue that was the original thread, I went with a Mayer's seat from Ojai and I am not happy with it even though most people say they are great. To be fair about it I have not yet talked to him about it and not tested his guarantee of re-doing the seat, I work for a living and hate losing yet another day at his shop (nice ride there though).
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2011, 2:25 pm

You might want to try "custom" leathers. I had pants and a jacket made for me by Langlitz, in Portland OR. They do good work, with high quality leather. If it does not fit, they will make it right. I was not happy with the pants the first time, and they re-did them quickly, no questions asked. Nice folks.
Don Goldberg
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Thanks, catalog requested from them.
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2011, 3:39 pm
Rookie

Not to stir up the pot or to bring back old memories, but I just wanted to add my experience as I own a Kontour seat.

I rode my bike to the dealership in Louisville (100 miles away from home) in cold weather. I had on my LD Comfort underwear (love those things), a pair of jeans, and then my riding pants (double mesh with nylon in the butt.) Since it was about 40 degrees outside, I had turned my seat heater on to the second setting (HOT). Even with the air flow into the seat, I had to turn the heater down to the first setting (warm) because of the discomfort with the heat. I don't know the type or the quality of the heating elements that are used in these bikes but that may have a lot to do with how well your seat heater keeps you warm.

Having said that, I have the same slightly forward rake on my seat as well (higher in the back than the front.) I find that after a few minutes of riding, I'm not sitting on my butt, but on my "boys" and it is quite uncomfortable. I find myself having to "rearrange" things far too often and it's not exactly easy to do with gloves on. I'm a small framed guy at 5'6" and a 29" inseam. I cannot comfortably put both feet on the ground, even with 1 inch removed from my seat, so it is quite possible that it's just the bike is too big for me.
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2011, 12:07 pm

just use you tip-toes when you put your feet down I barely touch the ground and when my wife is on the back and I put the ESA in 2-up, forget it, I have to slide to one side to put my foot down.

I too had my seat lowered by Mayers in Ojai and while I prefer having having more feet on the ground than just my toes, someday I am going back to Mayers and have him modify to torture device he put on my bike and put more foam back in and raise the seat with some padding.

*** I am knocking his work, he did exactly what I asked him to do but its TOO HARD and he did warn me that by lowering it it would be harder since there would be less foam ***

The only part I can knock is the angle because I also slide onto the boys and so I put the seat in the higher position to change that angle, that is the right angle so now just have to make some time and go back, lower the seat and change the angle and put some freakin foam into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode