$550 down the drain! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Angry $550 down the drain!

Don't waste your time or your money on "Kontour" custom motorcycle saddles! I sent my OEM seat to him. He sent it back, it was very uncomfortable, the polar mesh cover chafes like crazy and is slippery when accelerating or braking hard. The stuff is so thermally transparent that it matters not how high you turn up your seat heater...you can't get warm! Too much COLD AIR cuts through the polar mesh. I drive a lot in the winters here in NC and need my seat heater to be effective! I asked for my money back as these seemed insurmountable odds. He told me that his policy is clearly stated in his advertisement: Must return seat within 30 days for refit. If still not happy, must return seat within another 30 days for refit. If not happy must return seat one last time within 30 days for a refit and if still not happy then partial refund will be made....Do you realize how LONG it would take to go through that process?!! WTF??!!! I brought it to a local boy who took it apart in my presence. Once the cover was removed, we saw that Kontour had cut out a triangle piece of foam from the OEM foam pad measuring about 10 " x 10" x 9" and glued in a couple layers of his famous exciting space-age blah blah blah specialized foams into the triangle shaped hole, covered the seat in aluminized cloth and then in polar mesh.....all for the tidy sum of $550 dollars (shipping and handling paid by yours truly up front!)...EGAD, never again! The local boy rebuilt the entire seat, foam, gel pad, sculpted the foam, sewed up a beautiful silver-gray basket weave vinyl cover w/red accent stitching and the heater works great too! That gel pad is very NICE. Lesson learned, just turn away from Kontour before it's too late and you lose your hard earned cash to that *&^%$#@&*^! company. -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 2:24 pm
Veteran

Glad you got it fixed. That Kontour reminds me of the outfit in the CA bay area that is equally as bad in customer service (i.e. "arrogance to the max."). I think they sold recently and maybe they will get better - maybe. Can't think of their name offhand, but they made that Sparrow car and then abandoned it to the dismay of all the buyers who got a zip warranty.

I had one covered in leather (different outfit) and found that the leather also knocks down the seat heater's efficiency vs. the vinyl. Must be a better insulator than the vinyl. Takes a very long time to get warm, but never hot like the vinyl did.

Thanks for the info on who not to go to and a peep inside their work.

Still, I don't think you can beat Russell Day-Long if you want a good conformable seat. Don't see many complaints about their customer service or dissatisfaction either.

Mack
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 2:32 pm
Veteran

Hey Doc....

BTW.....if you ever need to try another one I'm very happy with my Rick Mayer saddle. But they all sort of do the same cut, re-sculpt, form, more or less foam, glue, sew, re-cover sort of thing. Maybe the gel works better for you. Either way once you find a good seat it's great. So much better than the stock. Glad you're happy with the new one.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Glad you got it fixed. That Kontour reminds me of the outfit in the CA bay area that is equally as bad in customer service (i.e. "arrogance to the max."). I think they sold recently and maybe they will get better - maybe. Can't think of their name offhand, but they made that Sparrow car and then abandoned it to the dismay of all the buyers who got a zip warranty.

I had one covered in leather (different outfit) and found that the leather also knocks down the seat heater's efficiency vs. the vinyl. Must be a better insulator than the vinyl. Takes a very long time to get warm, but never hot like the vinyl did.

Thanks for the info on who not to go to and a peep inside their work.

Still, I don't think you can beat Russell Day-Long if you want a good conformable seat. Don't see many complaints about their customer service or dissatisfaction either.

Mack
Corbin made the Sparrow I believe...Thanks for the encouraging words. If I do get another seat made it will definitely be Day Long....but they told me last week that they are about 6 weeks back-logged...too much time to wait this go around. Although that does tell you something about their product....everyone wants one! -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2011, 1:29 am
Veteran

I can vouch for my Bill "Rocky" Mayer seat. The more miles I put on it, the better it gets.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2011, 10:10 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I can vouch for my Bill "Rocky" Mayer seat. The more miles I put on it, the better it gets.
And my Rich Mayer (bought it used 4 years ago!) is wonderful, first on the 2006 and now on my 2009 with no modifications.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2011, 11:27 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc52
Corbin made the Sparrow I believe...Thanks for the encouraging words. If I do get another seat made it will definitely be Day Long....but they told me last week that they are about 6 weeks back-logged...too much time to wait this go around. Although that does tell you something about their product....everyone wants one! -Dr Ron
Corbin Motorcycle Seats are in Hollister, CA. From the stories I've heard, a ride-in appointment has a far better chance of success than a ship-to-and-back one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2011, 3:50 pm
Noob

I bought a Kontour seat for my 1300GT. Talked to the guy on the phone and through email. He seemed Ok, and he was offering a $100 discount, due to a slow period I guessed. So sent him my seat, got it back, rode it a while, better than OEM but still a pain in the ass. Tried to contact him, no luck for a few weeks. When I did get him in an email I told him about where it hurt and the changes I'd like to see, he said it would cost him to much to make the changes, WTF?? After a few emails with an attitude (from him) he said he didn't want to do business with me anymore and would get my seat back to OEM and give me my money back, 4-6 weeks because he was very busy. I said fine, then I told him that I was going to the BMW rally in VT and it would be a great conversation starter when I rode in with a staging plank wrapped with a pillow. A week later I had my seat back (OEM) and my money refunded. It still cost me $100 in shipping but better than nothing. I then bought a Sargent on ebay, better, but not much, sold it. I got in a group buy for RDL, what a pleasure (Heather) is the best, talked a few times on the phone, she let me work around my schedule to get the seat to them, got it back to me as promised, only problem is it won't stop snowing in NH. Anyway it feels the best out of all of them, can wait to put some miles on it.

"A bad ride is better than a good walk"

'10 K1300GT RED
'10 HD Road King Classic
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2011, 11:04 am
Enthusiast

Dr. Ron, sorry to hear you lost that much cash doing business with that blowhard from Kontour. I'm surprised he's not chimed in with his normal acerbic and vitriolic comments as he posts here as well as the LT Forum. I've found the fellow to be off-putting since I began reading the BMW forums. There was no way he was ever going to get any of my business.

I know folks are unbelievably loyal to seat makers like Rocky Mayer, Sargent, and Corbin but I've never understood how they can charge so much for the small area they are working on. Experience aside, using their pricing model how much would a sofa cost to reupholster? I think it speaks volumes that you were there to see your "Kontour" seat taken apart and witness what $550 truly bought. I don't care if I'm dirt poor or Warren Buffett, the value is not there for what these custom seat makers charge.

I found a guy in Florida who charged me about $55 to transform my stock seat and his work was impeccable. Since he's not exploiting the consumer you can imagine how much business he does. Wish I could recall his name and share the website. It's been talked about on this forum before and I couldn't be happier.

Bottom line for this thread, I'm sorry you were ripped off by societal excrement disguising themselves as an honest businessman. Net-net, hope you like your new seat for many miles.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 6:59 am Thread Starter

With Gratitude

I am so pleased to be involved with such good people on this Blog. So, it is with gratitude that I compliment all of you for your passion, willingness to share and your kind thoughts!
-Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode