09 K 1300 GT oil light - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 3:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thumbs up 09 K 1300 GT oil light

Just wondering if anyone has gotten an oil light on the cluster that is black in color and has a check next to it.. the dealership is saying its a normal light that comes on after an in ride diag. check... thanks stay safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Yeah, the iconography means "your oil checks OK", not "check your oil", as I thought when I first saw it. I had it pop up early on during my 2008 K1200GT, and I had to go to the owner's manual to make sure everything was fine.

If I remember, it only comes on when the bike is warm and I believe it has to be at low (idle) RPM and possibly in gear as well. I just know it pops up now and again and means a good thing, not a bad one...

Smilodon

2008 K1200GT
Deep Blue Metallic
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 4:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks i thought i was having a problem... only happens when i have been riding for about an hour and come to a stop.... Oil lights are nothing to mess with... bike is in now getting Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires.. hope i made the right decision... dealer would not mount them unless i purchased the tires from them... and what a difference in price... cant wait to get it back got a box of new farkles to install ... Pictures to come after installation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNH
Thanks i thought i was having a problem... only happens when i have been riding for about an hour and come to a stop.... Oil lights are nothing to mess with... bike is in now getting Michelin Pilot Road 3 tires.. hope i made the right decision... dealer would not mount them unless i purchased the tires from them... and what a difference in price... cant wait to get it back got a box of new farkles to install ... Pictures to come after installation
Just for a +1 on the oil check light. It's normal and don't worry about it. Worry if you get a ( ! )

But as for your dealer....man...I believe in keeping good relations to a point....but to flat out refuse to install tires unless you buy them there?! Not good.

Sounds like you just got the bike. Welcome and enjoy!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 5:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I know right... was like 550 for the tires and install I feel like i have been bent over hard....
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 6:37 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNH
I know right... was like 550 for the tires and install I feel like i have been bent over hard....
You'll get used to it!

If you have the room, mechanical ability or inclination....get a Nomar and save some $$$ over time.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2011, 7:38 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
....but to flat out refuse to install tires unless you buy them there?! Not good.
But becoming more and more common. Just another reason to change them yourself!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2011, 6:31 am
Veteran

On the oil check light, I have found this:
If you idly page through the OBC when riding, it is possible to end up with the oil check function, well, not exactly "on" but ready to check if the conditions are correct. You can pull up to a stop sign and if you are there long enough the oil will "check". You start riding and then it goes away as the bike has to be stopped for this to work. The easiest way to get rid of it is when you see the check, cycle through to the display you want. Then the oil check should stay away.
I am not sure what is done with OBC to make it go in to oil check on the road like that, maybe this summer if no one else has discovered it I will figure it out.

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2011, 9:27 am
Veteran

On my 2007 K1200GT, you can scroll through the various settings, but the Oil Check display varies on whether you are moving or not. My KGT has the TPM option, so you see a Tire Pressure display as you scroll through the various "BC" displays. The order of the displays when I press the BC button on the right handlebar is:

Distance to Empty ->
Average Speed ->
Average Mileage (MPG) ->
[Oil Check] ->
Tire Pressures (TPM) ->
Outside air temperature ->
(back to Distance to Empty again)

If you are moving, the Oil Check display is skipped when scrolling between displays.
If you are stopped, the Oil Check display is available and you can scroll to it.

If you leave the display set to Oil Check, then it changes to the tire pressure monitor (TPM) as soon as the bike starts moving. When you stop again, the Oil Check display reappears, unless you changed the display while moving.

Not everyone has the TPM option on their 2007 KGT, so obviously their bike is different. I never thought to ask what happens. I would guess that their bikes switch between Oil Check and Outside Air Temperature depending on whether they are moving or not, but I have not seen it for myself.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2011, 10:09 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
On my 2007 K1200GT, you can scroll through the various settings, but the Oil Check display varies on whether you are moving or not. My KGT has the TPM option, so you see a Tire Pressure display as you scroll through the various "BC" displays. The order of the displays when I press the BC button on the right handlebar is:

Distance to Empty ->
Average Speed ->
Average Mileage (MPG) ->
[Oil Check] ->
Tire Pressures (TPM) ->
Outside air temperature ->
(back to Distance to Empty again)

If you are moving, the Oil Check display is skipped when scrolling between displays.
If you are stopped, the Oil Check display is available and you can scroll to it.

If you leave the display set to Oil Check, then it changes to the tire pressure monitor (TPM) as soon as the bike starts moving. When you stop again, the Oil Check display reappears, unless you changed the display while moving.

Not everyone has the TPM option on their 2007 KGT, so obviously their bike is different. I never thought to ask what happens. I would guess that their bikes switch between Oil Check and Outside Air Temperature depending on whether they are moving or not, but I have not seen it for myself.

om my 2009 1300GT, The oil chec light comes on when you are in temp mode and you come to a stop, after the bike is warmed up. The TPM will popup at any time if the pressure is low, otherwise it can be checked by scrolling through the display..

I had the dreaded <!> come on all the time instead of an oil check after a software update a year ago. MAX BMW finally fixed it a few weeks ago with a custoim update specific to my bike's VIN.
All is well.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode