Clutch housing basket - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2011, 1:13 pm Thread Starter
KJG

Clutch housing basket

I started the thread a short while ago about the timing chain rail breaking and the engine needing some serious repair.

As it turns out, since they already have the bike torn down, I am replacing the clutch as it was beginning to slip. Might as well pay for the parts while the labor is being covered by the extended warranty.

So, the dealer calls me this morning and says that typically, when the clutch is replaced, they want to replace the clutch housing basket. I was OK with that until he told me it was an additional $973. (Can you tell I don't have lots of money?)

He told me that if I didn't replace it, I might notice an occasional slip with the clutch, but it would only be barely noticeable.

I'm wondering... is this something I really need to do now or can it wait?

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2011, 1:44 pm
Veteran

I seem to recall that some of the later model clutch baskets will not fit on the transmission shaft without a change out of the tranny as well which will pretty much put the bike into a "Totaled out" condition as that sort of stuff can hit $3,000+ in total. You may be able to do some parts searching at MAX BMW online parts and see if there is a date change-out on the shafts and baskets.

If the steel plates are glazed and shiny, you could always hit them with a nylon impregnated oxide spinner or steel wire brush on a drill and knock the glaze down and check them for flatness, providing you still have a decent clutch friction pad amount left.

I don't know how many miles you have on it or if a new one would be any better. It's sort of a crap shoot even for Yamaha on their clutch baskets. Some here have gone through 3 clutch units to no avail (mostly noisy though). Might want to look at it yourself and see how bad you think it is for your mileage and how many more miles you will own the bike.

Mack
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2011, 2:23 pm
Enthusiast

I know these bikes are fairly pricey to repair and maintain but close to $1,000 for a new clutch basket? That seems excessive in my eyes. I'm with Mack, I'd want to look at the existing basket before entertaining the idea of replacing. I'd also find out the correct part number and do a quick Internet search. Would have no problem taking my dealer an OEM part that I had procured elsewhere at substantial savings. Hell, even for a little money saved I'd do it!

By way of comparison, I just bought a 2010 Ducati 1198S. This thing defines the word super in Superbike. Anything...and I mean anything for a Ducati is a fortune. Been considering installing a slipper clutch on it. The very best slipper I can find costs around $1,400 for the entire assembly: clutch basket, hub, pressure plate, bearings, a full set of sintered clutch plates, spring caps, etc....

http://www.ducatiperformance.com/evr...cPath=22_26_41

I'd certainly investigate this more before shelling out another $973. Best of luck and let us know the outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2011, 8:56 pm
Addict

What does he mean by 'typically'? Is he saying that your clutch basket has been inspected and is showing signs of wear such that it needs to be replaced -- or perhaps they just like to routinely replace the clutch basket (on your nickel) simply to reduce the chance of hearing from the customer again. Lacking the statement that they inspected your clutch basket and found a definite problem, I would guess the latter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 2:48 am Thread Starter
KJG

My own personal opinion is that they are just hoping I would replace it since the bike was already in pieces.

Since I don't have a spare $973 hanging around, I opted to wait it out for a while. He mentioned to replace it separately would be about 1.5 - 2 hours of labor.

To be honest, I don't think they really looked at it since a couple of weeks passed between the initial conversation regarding the clutch and the call I received regarding the basket.

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode