K1200GT Battery - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2011, 1:43 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

K1200GT Battery

Ok a subject that I know has been covered and covered.
But my 2007 12GT seem to suffer yesterday from the dreaded dead battery syndrome on hot start with very slow crank over.
I had to bump the bike to get it started although it is , as yet, not suffering from stall or cut out.

I have only had the bike for two weeks , it has full BMW service history and has only done thirteen thousand miles.
Before I received the bike the dealer ( not BMW) told me that it had a new battery.
The problem I am having is that the red warning triangle is coming up alongside the battery icon, indicating there is a low charge/discharge problem ?
I have today ordered a Odyssey PC680 for the bike.
My question is... Have you good folks who have experienced the duff battery/hot start syndrome had the red warning triangle come on and the battery icon ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2011, 4:24 pm
Addict

Fear not, your problem will likely be cured by your new battery. Hot starts are often where weak battery problems will show up first on a slant K, and as far as your battery being 'new', well maybe it was or maybe it wasn't, or maybe it was but had been mistreated (stored at low charge, etc.), or who knows what. First thing for the problem you described should always be a new battery when the condition of the old battery is unknown. The warning lights are probably just related to low voltage during and right after the start.

If the new battery doesn't resolve the problem then worry about other possible causes. But hopefully you won't need to go any further than a simple battery swap.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Veteran

It would just seem to me that the selling dealer (I know, not BMW) might be able to get warranty on the battery (assuming they were the ones who purchased the battery). I also realize you said you have ordered a battery, so might be a moot point.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2011, 12:44 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmc
Ok a subject that I know has been covered and covered.
I have today ordered a Odyssey PC680 for the bike.
You might have considered a battery from BeemerBoneyard. Higher cranking AGM battery type battery, for much less.

Phil

--------------------
Boston Bagger (in Florida)
--------------------
2008 BMW K1200GT (Grey)
2007 BMW K1200GT (Silver) (Totaled by other)
2004 BMW R1150RT (Silver Ghost)
2001 Harley ElectraGlide STD. (Black)
1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Olive Green / Cream)
1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro RT-1 (Black)
1968 Yamaha 125 / 175 Enduro AT-1 (White)
1963 Honda 250 Scrambler
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2011, 12:54 pm
Veteran

The Odyssey will solve the problem. They are a bit more money than some other less expensive alternatives, but YEARS from now it will still be cranking. You made the right choice.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2011, 4:47 pm
Veteran

Odyssey is cheaper online (~$130) than the crappy BMW one now that is $180. They said it was due to the amount of lead in the BMW one. Dunno.

Mack
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2011, 3:40 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Well the good news is..Dealer has agreed to meet the cost of the battery.
Bad news is.. Just realised that an Odyssey requires a dedicated charger and my Optimate is no good
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:41 am

I've always used an ordinary maintenance charger for the Odyssey PC680 battery in my R1100RS. Its held up just fine for nine years but is finally getting a bit weak and I am replacing before selling the bike.

Here's the list of chargers that are OK from Odyssey's web site. My charger is not listed and seems to have had no ill affect on the batteries life.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...CT2010_003.pdf

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2011, 11:26 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmc
Just realized that an Odyssey requires a dedicated charger and my Optimate is no good
Not sure I understand this either Big. I own an Optimate, Battery Tender, Battery Minder, and a few other brands that escape me at the moment. I use them interchangeably on all my cars and motorcycles.

Why do you feel the Optimate can't be used in conjunction with your Odyssey? BTW, you bought the right battery. You'll be happy with it for years to come.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2011, 12:23 pm
Veteran

My old R1100RT had an Odyssey in it up until I sold it and that battery was in there 7 years. Still in it with the new owner too. All I ever used on it was the little Battery Tender. Had to get a multiple bank Battery Tender and it's plugged into all the bikes now. No issues...yet.

Fwiw, BMW came along with their own battery charger that was supposed to work with the CANBUS system on the GT. Since my B.T. was direct connection via a Powerlet socket, I never bothered and kept using it.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode