Motolights - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2011, 12:22 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Motolights

I'm looking to add additional lighting low on my K1300GT and Motolight seem to be the obvious choice of supplier. I want the lights for both daytime conspicuity and for night time driving. Several questions: 1) are motolights the best choice here 2) clear or fog lenses 3) halogen or LED bulbs.

Motolight offers 50W halogen bulbs and LED bulbs. Has anyone had experience with their LED bulbs? What kind of lighting power do these LED bulbs put out? How do they compare to the 50W halogens?

How are these lights mounted on the K13 bike? (I'm assuming they will reaquire fuses, relays, etc) What kind of on/off switch do they have and where is it best mounted?

Thanks in advance

Francis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2011, 12:56 pm
Enthusiast

We always mounted motolights (50w halogens) on our K bikes over the years and have been very happy with them. We try to avoid night time riding (deer!) so our sole purpose was daytime conspicuity. I believe the triangle pattern with motolights accomplishes this well. Because we wanted them on all the time, I never installed an on/off switch. Ours mounted on the front brake calipers (K1200S and K1300S)

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2011, 2:08 pm

Smile Motolights for life

I've had Motos on all 3 of my BMW's over the last 12 years. In fact, I've simply transferred the same original brushed aluminum set to each new bike! Once or twice they burned out a power wire...-> But, the good folks at Moto simply shipped an entire power harness to my dealer each time, free of charge, along with 2 free Halogen lights (50w) and 2 free silicone seal rings! Whenever the occasional bulb failure occurs, they send me 2 free bulbs! I cannot tell you what peace of mind I have regarding the Moto folks compared to the hassle I've recently posted to you all regarding some other venders....I love the Motos for conspicuity in daylight and a wonderful fill-in effect starting at the front wheel and extending out to about 10 yards in front of the bike at night. Brightens up the road very well with the 50W version which is IMHO better than the 35W bulb. However, since I now have OEM HID and a pair of PIAA cross country HIDs on the KGT, I don't need the Motos for either conspicuity or night illumination. But what I found out is that their LED bulbs go very well with the color of all those HID lights and together they make the bike look awsome, day and night! If you want the best lighting to supplement a bike with OEM lights only, then go with the 50W Halogens
-> they provide much better daytime conspicuity than the LEDs and much better night illumination as well. -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2011, 6:34 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

PIAA Cross Country

Dr Ron,

Thanks for your note. How do you like the Cross Countries? Do you find any problems switching on and off the HID's as you encounter on-comming traffic? Where are these mounted and which brackets did you use for the mounting?

Has anyone looked at the high mounted, retactagular, auxiliary lights from Wunderlich? They mount on the upper fairing outboard to the parking lights. Bulbs are 55W halogens.

Francis
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2011, 8:03 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
Dr Ron,

Thanks for your note. How do you like the Cross Countries? Do you find any problems switching on and off the HID's as you encounter on-comming traffic? Where are these mounted and which brackets did you use for the mounting?

Has anyone looked at the high mounted, retactagular, auxiliary lights from Wunderlich? They mount on the upper fairing outboard to the parking lights. Bulbs are 55W halogens.

Francis
Hi Francis,
Check out the Clearwater Glennas. They are high intensity LEDs that draw very little current, they are brightness adjustable, and I believe are very high quality. I chose the amber LEDs which I think increases my conspicuity.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Wink PIAA Cross Country HIDs

Hey Francis. I went through quite an ordeal with what turned out to be another high priced Beta Test bed with my original PIAA CC's! They leaked water behind the lenses whenever I washed the bike or drove in the rain! They were replaced twice with new, re-designed housings. Then new re-designed seals. Then, eventually, new re-designed ballasts. Each time, I had to send 'em back to the Manufacturer and await the latest version. Finally, I received the latest and best of the best design and low and behold.....one light was significantly different in color temperature and cast a wide, floodlight beam pattern, the other was much more intense white-blue color and tight spotlight beam pattetrn! I requested that they send me a set with identical, bright white-blue color temperature and tight spotlight beams, not the spread out flood light pattern beam. Once that was done I have been happy as can be...going on about 8 months now. TROUBLE FREE!!! I turned them on once after they were mounted and I NEVER turned them off again, day or night. No cages ever flash me so I know that narrow beam is in nobody's eyes. The mounts are from a Texas BMW dealer where one of the employees hand crafts them there. I will have to ask John Ross, my local BMW service manager, he knows the skinny on all those details. They mount to the side-view mirror mounts flush onto the fairing and work out great! Highly recommend them; just don't buy a discounted version of them from some internet site, you may end up with the earlier and very flawed versions!
Good Luck! -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2011, 12:25 am
Addict-oholic

Francis, it was nice meeting you at the bike show.Hopefully we can ride this Spring.

I have the motolights on my 1300GT. They have been on all my bikes.
I like the 3 point light. Every one I have ridden with says they make me more visible. Not too much difference at night except a wider low throw of light. I have the halogen standard 35 watts. More than enough light.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2011, 1:02 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Motolights

Thanks Larry,

Glad we could get together at the NY motorcycle show.

You have anumber of farkels I am looking to add to my bike including the motolights. Hopefully one of these weekends I can get up your way and see your bike's set-up.

Francis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode