switched power - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2011, 8:46 am Thread Starter
Noob

switched power

hi, im looking to take power from a switched sauce on my k1300gt.im thinking of the heated seat switch,could someone tell me what colour wire i need to tap into?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2011, 10:35 am
IBR# 366

Generally, BMW uses Brown for ground wires. So find the brown wire, then use the other one.

This is a case where a multi-meter comes in really handy . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2011, 11:14 am
Noob

On the 13GS up under the handle bars is an access cover for the battery. Near the top on the right is a small bundle of wires that are not connected to anything. You will find a accessory on hot conductor there.

Be carful, that conductor is supplied from the CAN buss system and is very low voltage and can not take much of a load. Also note that the CAN buss system, when using this conductor will delay turning off the power for about a minuet after the ignition is switch turned off. CAN means 'Controller Area Network' and was developed by Bosch in 1980. Most new vehicles use this system and it is becoming increasingly difficult to install after-market products.

I connected a Centeck AP1 auxiliary power fuse panel with an AP170R wiring kit with relay for all my electrical stuff to this conductor. http://www.centechwire.com The CAN buss has enough voltage to trigger the relay to energize the fuse panel directly off the battery. I mounted the AP1 up under the left faring near the ABS controller valve; where there is a large unused space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2011, 11:36 am
Enthusiast

Randog is correct, the Centech fuse panel has been around for years and works well. Thanks to this site I was turned on to the Fuzeblock which I think is a better option. Check out:

http://www.cyclenutz.com/Fuzeblock-F...FZ-1_p_92.html

Doesn't get any easier than this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode