New to K bikes (but not BMWs) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2011, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

New to K bikes (but not BMWs)

Just wanted to throw out an introduction. I expect I'll be hanging around here quite a bit, lots of great info and experience here from what I've seen so far.

I've been around BMWs for quite some time, but never owned a K variant before. I bought an 08 K1200GT to fill the shoes of my 94 R1100RS which I've had for 14 years. I also have an 09 F800GS, and my wife is on an 08 F800ST.

I got the GT home few weeks ago and have been adding farkles and getting it set up as I want it. I've added a Sargent seat, 28L topcase, Wunderlich tankbag, powerlet socket mounted in the battery cover to power the tankbag, Zumo 550 GPS, Autocom with bike to bike GMRs radio, and a Gerbings power socket. All the electrics are going to run off a Fuzeblock (ordered, but not yet arrived), all the wiring is in place to connect to it.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2011, 2:39 pm
Veteran

Welcome.

The first thing I'd do is take the VIN number to your dealer and have them run it for any recall stuff. I just completed my shock (relay) link replacement and something about the centerstand inspection too. Even though mine is a older '06 K1600GT, they were two out on it (the above and done free even though it is out of the 3 year warranty.).

While they are running down your bike's service history and info, you might be wise to invest in the "Cam chain jump guard" stuff too. About $80 in parts and there is a thread here on it someplace. If you are mechanically inclined (appears you are from the toolbox in the photo), you could probably do this yourself after Robert documents the entire procedure with his fantastic photographs and any snafu's that occur along the way.

Mack
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2011, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Welcome.

The first thing I'd do is take the VIN number to your dealer and have them run it for any recall stuff. I just completed my shock (relay) link replacement and something about the centerstand inspection too. Even though mine is a older '06 K1600GT, they were two out on it (the above and done free even though it is out of the 3 year warranty.).

While they are running down your bike's service history and info, you might be wise to invest in the "Cam chain jump guard" stuff too. About $80 in parts and there is a thread here on it someplace. If you are mechanically inclined (appears you are from the toolbox in the photo), you could probably do this yourself after Robert documents the entire procedure with his fantastic photographs and any snafu's that occur along the way.

Mack
I actually bought it from a dealer out in Victoria BC. They gave me the rundown of all the recalls and service. The suspension link was done, and the brake line and a bunch of other stuff. I have been following the cam guide thread and am considering it.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Noob

Welcome

Hiya Ed,

Just a welcome to these great forums from another Calgary boy. Bought my GT new from Blackfoot and have been loving it ever since. Seems like you got the fastest color as well.

Maybe a Double GT ride later this year?

LucidiT

2007 K1200 GT - Deep Blue Metallic / Granite Gray.
OBC - ASC - ESA - Xenon - HS - HG - RDC - CC - DWA
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2011, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidiT
Hiya Ed,

Just a welcome to these great forums from another Calgary boy. Bought my GT new from Blackfoot and have been loving it ever since. Seems like you got the fastest color as well.

Maybe a Double GT ride later this year?

LucidiT
I new there was a reason I liked the deep blue colour. I'll be looking for any cause to get out for a ride, a double GT run is as good a reason as any I can come up with. I'm up in the NW in Country Hills, You?

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada

Last edited by mcmxcivrs; Mar 17th, 2011 at 6:34 pm.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2011, 6:14 pm
Noob

PM sent.

2007 K1200 GT - Deep Blue Metallic / Granite Gray.
OBC - ASC - ESA - Xenon - HS - HG - RDC - CC - DWA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode