TPM system saves my bacon, maybe - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2011, 2:59 pm Thread Starter
Addict

TPM system saves my bacon, maybe

Was just riding along minding my own business when I noticed the red triangle flashing very fast as it was obvioulsy very unhappy about something. I then noticed the TPM display reading 38/10 (and then 38/9, 38/8, 38/7, etc. a few seconds apart.) Just as I got the bike stopped things were getting very squirrily and the bike hard to control, but no real drama because I had plenty of time to get down from speed. I maybe got about 30 seconds early warning, but it was also the most important 30 seconds. Pressure loss was very fast due to a huge gash in the tread, have no idea what I hit. I love TPM systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2011, 3:55 pm
Veteran

So how did you fix it? Have a kit or call a tow truck?

I was at some mountain restaurant where some Yamaha rider came up to me and asked, "If that was my GT out front?" and he thought "I had a flat rear tire." I went out and it looked fine, a albeit a bit low, but when I kicked it with my boot I could tell it was completely flat. Up on the center-stand and I found some long shard of metal in it.

I had a compressor and Stop and Go kit and I've had to use it a bunch of times on the car tires so I though I was good to go. Shot a plug in the tire and plugged in the compressor and waited 10 minutes or so. Still not coming up. A bit of spit on the area and it was still leaking.

There was a small market next door and they had a can of Fix-a-Flat so I paid the $8 for it and that actually did the trick. A bit oozed out and soon stopped, but it came up enough to get me 50 miles to home base.

I have some of that liquid stuff that Jay Leno showed on one of his Jay's Garage episodes that they put in some SUV and drove over a bunch of nails in a plank and then he drilled holes in the tire with a drill and it still held pressure. So I bought some and put in the car tires. It hammers pretty bad until 50 miles for it to coat the insides, but it still hammers at times so it isn't for maintaining a well balanced tire, imho, when I get into another vehicle without the stuff.

I ended up at some motel 500 miles from home and the desk clerk called me and told me I had a flat tire on the car. I thought "No way!" but it was flatter than the bike was visibly. Turns out it was a big lag screw that I had picked up. Luckily, I fired a plug in it (I carry a compressor in the car and another Stop-and-Go kit in the car) and the stuff plugged it fine.

I haven't figured out anything for the smaller S1000RR yet as there is not much storage room for stuff on it. Luckily, the tire profiles are low enough on the BMW bikes that a flat usually doesn't cause a bad wobble and bad outcome. They seem to bend a $$$ rim first - at least according to the CHP and their bikes.

Mack
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2011, 4:16 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I was very lucky to be close enough to home to ride it in at 5 mph (figured it didn't matter what I did to the tire since it was unrepairable anyway.) Even at that it was pretty tough to control the bike, and a little abusive of the clutch. I carry a tire repair kit and CO2 cartridges but that wouldn't have helped in this case. I had one other experience in the past like this (damage that couldn't be plugged/repaired) but unfortunately I was not close to home that time and in a town too small to sell motorcycle tires. I won't go into what it took to get out of there but suffice it to say it was a major PITA.

I have also been down as a result of a tire blowout and believe me, dealing with a tow or roadside repair is a lot better than dealing with insurance adjusters and doctors. Having tried it both ways, well, let's just say that's why I like TPM systems so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2011, 4:59 pm

????

If you don't mind: Which brand and model tire, how many miles on it? -Dr Ron

2009 KGT makes me SMILE
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2011, 5:57 pm Thread Starter
Addict

It was a Dunlop RoadSmart, maybe 5-6k on it. But this definitely wasn't the tire's fault, was clearly road damage.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2011, 9:06 pm
Enthusiast

TPM is the accessory I miss most in my switch from the K1300GT to a Goldwing. The Wing has an idiot light which shows it the pressure drops below a certain point, but does not give an actual pressure readouts. Makes me have to actually crawl around with a tire pressure gauge before every ride, which is a PIA.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2011, 9:16 am
Veteran

I love the TPM. It is hard to imagine buying a bike without it, and third party solutions are not nearly as good as the factory TPM from BMW.

Why do I love the TPM?

* It saves me time and effort by eliminating the pre-flight tire pressure check.

* I lose about 1/2 psi each time I check a tire with a standard gauge. With the TPM, topping off the tires with air becomes infrequent, because the rate of pressure loss from a capped tire is low. In fact, the tires typically hold pressure for several weeks at a time.

* I can check tire pressure any time I feel like it.

* It warned me when I took a nail in the rear tire. It gave me plenty of time to detour to the dealer for a tire replacement. It showed me actual tire pressure as I rode there, so I would know if the pressure got too low for safety, long before the tire became dangerously squirmy.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2011, 9:46 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I love the TPM. It is hard to imagine buying a bike without it, and third party solutions are not nearly as good as the factory TPM from BMW.

Why do I love the TPM?

* It saves me time and effort by eliminating the pre-flight tire pressure check.

* I lose about 1/2 psi each time I check a tire with a standard gauge. With the TPM, topping off the tires with air becomes infrequent, because the rate of pressure loss from a capped tire is low. In fact, the tires typically hold pressure for several weeks at a time.

* I can check tire pressure any time I feel like it.

* It warned me when I took a nail in the rear tire. It gave me plenty of time to detour to the dealer for a tire replacement. It showed me actual tire pressure as I rode there, so I would know if the pressure got too low for safety, long before the tire became dangerously squirmy.
Exactly right. Heck, my company Chevy Malibu came standard with real TPM and I even get emails from On-star reporting my individual tire pressures (in case I am too lazy to toggle through the OBC.) This is such a great feature I am surprised it is not universally available on bikes and cars alike.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2011, 9:59 am
Addict-oholic

Saved my ass twice in my car. Both times, a nail with a slow leak One was just as I was leaving on a longish day trip. Could have been a freaking disaster to be stuck on the road. In both of my cars, it is just a warning light that the pressure had dropped. Good enough!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2011, 6:18 pm

What surprised me the most was how sensitive it was when we picked up a sharp stone. I saw the flashing and the tire pressure seemed normal to the last time I checked it. After it flashed a couple more times it lost a pound then another after a couple more flashes. I was amazed that it picked up the differential so fast. Fortunately, I carry everything I needed to get rolling within 15 minutes.

I'm a big fan!

2009 K1300GT
My Photo Site

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode