New accessories for the K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2011, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

New accessories for the K1200GT

I finally received all the components to mount the Garmin 1490LMT that I purchased for the bike as well as the Marsee 6L tank bag and Battery Tender Jr with SAE connectors.

I like the Marsee bag very much and am considering the purchase of a 10L or 15L version for long distance travel. The GPS is a mix of the BMW factory mount plus RAM components which I've used on my previous bike. Looks pretty solid!

The bike also received an Illium Works side stand foot enlarger which is a nice "piece of mind" addition...

Last edited by NikonJeff; Mar 21st, 2011 at 2:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2011, 6:52 pm

GPS factory mount?

Hi Jeff-
Lookin' good!
So...GPS factory mount? Is that the black piece that appears to attach to the backside of your bars? And where might I find one of these? I have the Techmount that attaches to the front, but I want to add risers and my mount won't work after that. But something attaching to the back should work just fine.

Thanks,
Rob
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2011, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robday
Hi Jeff-
Lookin' good!
So...GPS factory mount? Is that the black piece that appears to attach to the backside of your bars? And where might I find one of these? I have the Techmount that attaches to the front, but I want to add risers and my mount won't work after that. But something attaching to the back should work just fine.

Thanks,
Rob
Thanks Rob! The GPS mount is p/n 71607676868 and ran me $26.00 - I've included a link to MaxBMW's parts page.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...ts=71607676868

I'm using RAM mounts and the plate that lines up with the holes in the BMW GPS mount is here: http://www.expressmounts.com/ram-mou...-b-347-g1.html

Depending on what GPS you have there are a mounting cradles available from Express Mounts. They were excellent to deal with and willing to talk on the phone...
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:27 am

Very nice, thanks!
I'm currently using my DROID-X as my nav system, along with everything else it does. It's a great single solution. Music (if you listen while riding...I don't), GPS with voice commands and alerts, cell phone, etc.
The DROID cradle also has a built in charge port so it's powered whenever the DROID is placed in it, and it also has a magnet that tells the DROID that it is being placed in a mobile cradle. This triggers "car mode", which brings up a screen with big buttons for the most used mobile functions.
The only problem I have is that I use a Cardo Scala Q2, and it is not compliant with A2DP stereo bluetooth signals. Bummer, because it worked flawlessly with my LG Envy. And the new Scala G4 is not perfect with the DROID either. But there are apps to convert the DROID audio to mono, and that seems to work ok for now. I'm not thrilled about replacing my 1-year old Q2 with a $300 G4 setup unless it is PERFECT. And right now it's not.

Thanks again for the link, it will certainly come in handy.
Rob
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 8:19 pm

BMW mount

Hey Jeff-
Does the factory Nav mount take the place of the black plastic cover on the back of the bars?

I ordered one yesterday and should see it in a few days. This is going to solve some problems for me, I appreciate the tip.

Rob
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 8:13 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robday
Hey Jeff-
Does the factory Nav mount take the place of the black plastic cover on the back of the bars?

I ordered one yesterday and should see it in a few days. This is going to solve some problems for me, I appreciate the tip.

Rob
Hi Rob -
Yes the factory GPS mount takes the place of the black plastic cover on the underside of the handlebars. Uses all 4 screw holes instead of the 2 screws and 2 plastic tabs that the cover utilizes.

I initially bought the Techmount that uses the handlebar allen bolts but it looked like access to the ignition switch was partially impeded so I'm glad I found the thread about the factory GPS mount.

Jeff
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 4:04 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonJeff
Hi Rob -
Yes the factory GPS mount takes the place of the black plastic cover on the underside of the handlebars. Uses all 4 screw holes instead of the 2 screws and 2 plastic tabs that the cover utilizes.

I initially bought the Techmount that uses the handlebar allen bolts but it looked like access to the ignition switch was partially impeded so I'm glad I found the thread about the factory GPS mount.

Jeff
I have the Techmount (Z-Technik z6150) on my 2007 K1200GT. Here is the mount I installed.

http://ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=48028

Apparently, this version was discontinued by Techmount and Z-Technik. The newer mount is similar, but with a round plate and a short stem. Longer stems are available from Techmount.

http://www.techmounts.com/products/i...product_id=132

Jeff is right, the mount does interfere with inserting and removing the ignition key. For me, it isn't a big deal, I got used to it after a while. Some people may be very annoyed, however.

The long stem let me adjust the position and angle of the GPS so it is just under the view of the dash displays and angled to optimize the view and minimize glare and reflections. Once set to my satisfaction, I never changed it.

I tried the BMW mount, and it is lower - you have to look down more. It also has a fixed angle. If you have a large tank bag, it might block the view of some GPSs.

Someday I might reconsider and put the GPS above the dash. I like the idea of a head-up view, but have concerns about more glare, a longer reach to change a setting, etc.

'Hope this helps.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 5:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I have the Techmount (Z-Technik z6150) on my 2007 K1200GT. Here is the mount I installed.

Apparently, this version was discontinued by Techmount and Z-Technik. The newer mount is similar, but with a round plate and a short stem. Longer stems are available from Techmount.

Jeff is right, the mount does interfere with inserting and removing the ignition key. For me, it isn't a big deal, I got used to it after a while. Some people may be very annoyed, however.

The long stem let me adjust the position and angle of the GPS so it is just under the view of the dash displays and angled to optimize the view and minimize glare and reflections. Once set to my satisfaction, I never changed it.

I tried the BMW mount, and it is lower - you have to look down more. It also has a fixed angle. If you have a large tank bag, it might block the view of some GPSs.

Someday I might reconsider and put the GPS above the dash. I like the idea of a head-up view, but have concerns about more glare, a longer reach to change a setting, etc.

'Hope this helps.
I'm using a RAM mounting system so it has several lengths available to connect the base to the GPS cradle for my Nuvi 1490LMT. I have the 1" and 2.5" I think. Both will stay in the tank bag till I get a feel for which one works best.

The accessory shelves do add more flexibility but I didn't want the clutter... Looks like the version of the mount you have is better suited to key access
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 10:00 pm

XMagna, I have the newer Techmount. And yes, it sure does get in the way of the key. But you can get used to it. The biggest problem is if you are turning the key to the "locked steering" position. For some reason it's a lot harder to get the key in and out when you lock the bars and the techmount is installed. I also do not leave the entire mount on the bike, I remove most of it for daily riding. I really like the mount because it places the phone in the middle, and just under the stock display. But I also want to try a set of bar risers, and the techmount will not work with risers (unless I get fairly creative with it). I even explored ways to put the techmount on the backside.
I'm hoping this stock solution works out the way I want it to. If it does, I'll probably sell the techmount.

Jeff, thanks for all of the info! I never would have found this part because it doesn't show up in the K1200GT fiche; It's a K1300GT part.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2011, 1:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider

Oh, almost forgot...
The new mount has a square plate now instead of the round one pictured in the link above. Everything else is identical. I have no idea why there would be a difference, but mine shipped recently (2-3 months ago?) with a square plate.

I disconnect it right in the middle of the stem portion and leave the mount/stub on the bike for daily use. And it still gets in the way of the ignition switch a little. The key likes to be slid straight out with very little slop, and the mount is right where you would want your thumb to be when grabbing the key. Still, I do like the mount overall because of the position of the device and especially the look of the mount.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode