LED Brake Lite Install - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2011, 5:18 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

LED Brake Lite Install

Somewhere I saw a picture demo of an installation of the BMW add-on LED brake lite that attaches below the license plate. The cable connects into the stock CANBUS wiring harness. The picture demo showed how this owner connected the wiring through the rear fender and into the wiring harness.

Does anyone have a reference for this demo or reference for another demo of how to connect up this LED module on a K1200-1300GT?

Thanks

Francis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
Somewhere I saw a picture demo of an installation of the BMW add-on LED brake lite that attaches below the license plate. The cable connects into the stock CANBUS wiring harness. The picture demo showed how this owner connected the wiring through the rear fender and into the wiring harness.

Does anyone have a reference for this demo or reference for another demo of how to connect up this LED module on a K1200-1300GT?

Thanks

Francis
I'm looking for the same installation instructions Francis! I bought one of those BMW add on LED brake lights and the corresponding harness for my '08 K1200GT and it came with no instructions whatsoever...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2011, 8:20 pm
Noob

Hyperlites

I installed a set of hyperlites on my '07KGT, I don't have any pictures of the install handy but will say it was a pretty easy install and Canbus friendly. I know I still have the instruction sheet for that install if a copy would help you please let me know.

JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis

Thanks

Francis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2011, 8:46 pm
Addict-oholic

I have that unit on my bike and if I remember it was a very easy install. I followed the directions included and it went smoothly in less than an hour. One wire from the harness attaches to the accessory socket for canbus switched power ( I had to snake it through) and the other leads are connected by posi taps to the brake and tail light wires.

Works very well!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I have that unit on my bike and if I remember it was a very easy install. I followed the directions included and it went smoothly in less than an hour. One wire from the harness attaches to the accessory socket for canbus switched power ( I had to snake it through) and the other leads are connected by posi taps to the brake and tail light wires.

Works very well!

Thanks Larry -
My big issue is that mine didn't come with instructions and the other 2 packages they opened at the dealership didn't have any either. If you happen to be a detail bug like I am is there a chance you retained the instructions somewhere?
Thanks!
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2011, 10:56 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonJeff
Thanks Larry -
My big issue is that mine didn't come with instructions and the other 2 packages they opened at the dealership didn't have any either. If you happen to be a detail bug like I am is there a chance you retained the instructions somewhere?
Thanks!
Jeff
Sorry, no instructions.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2011, 12:19 pm

After some digging and searching I found this link with a description of the installation. Apparently it is NOT uncommon for there to be a lack of instructions within the retail box...

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16798

There are no instructions with the light. Disconnect the male plug from the accessory outlet on the bike and connect the male plug from the new light harness to the bike's accessory outlet. Then connect the female plug from the new light harness into the male plug removed from the bike's accessory outlet. The other end of the light harness plugs into the new light. There is one wire about 8" from the end that plugs into the power on the bike's brake light socket. Remove tail light lens and unplug the power to the brake light bulb. There are two wires and brown is the ground. Use the other (I can't remember the color) wire. Plug the wire from the new light onto that lug and then connect the plug you just removed onto the double lug just installed from the new light harness. I hope you can understand this.

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2011, 1:50 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

LED Brake Lite Install

Nikon Joe

Thanks for looking this up. Very helpful for all of us.

Hopefully with some more mucking about we can find the picture link I stumbles acros and quickly forgot.

Are you still having snow and cold upstate?

Francis
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2011, 1:55 pm

I saw some photos of the installation in my quest but it was on an R1200RT so I'm not sure if it would be helpful or not. I'll try to do this again tonight and take some photos along the way.

We still have some snow on the ground but haven't had much new snow in a couple weeks. I'm itching badly to get on the bike so I'm hoping and praying for some 50+ degree days VERY soon!

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 2011, 6:03 pm
Addict

Maybe this will help.

Here's a few pictures of the accessory LED tail light install.

Good luck!

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19826

Last edited by John06KGT; Mar 28th, 2011 at 9:15 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode