patching up saddlebags after bike domino's - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2011, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

patching up saddlebags after bike domino's

Someone played Bike Domino's and now my right saddlebag's paint is all torn up. I have sent my dealer a e-mail asking if there is any "touch-up" paint available but not heard back yet. A bunch of gouges in the paint is all I suffered, but its the first scratches in the bike

Some scratching in the exhaust too but I can live with that and one under the seat on the charcoal paint from the Suzuki's mirror that I will live with also. Luckily the fairing is not scratched AT ALL, the black paint on the front brake caliper was scratched but I can fix that, so the only damage was to the side bag.

The GT held A LOT of weight (Suzuki 1200) for about half the day I am guessing and my GT was ready to tip over. When I tried to lift the Suzuki, it looked like I was going to push my bike over, it was that close but the Suzuki was entwined with my bike so I had to have help right it. I am not going after the Suzuki owner as it was not his fault, so either my insurance or all on my own to fix. (thinking I should do this on my own and not involve insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2011, 1:10 pm
Veteran

Personally, and having more than my share of painting bodywork on the GT and the S1000RRR as well, I wouldn't mess with the touch-up paints if you want it back to pristine shape. They always seems to mismatch, and with the metallics you'll often end up seeing the patch.

You could go to Colorrite.com and get their motorcycle specific paints in spray cans and do it yourself. I'd go to an auto paint place and ask them for a recommended body scratch filler for the dings. Some of them can match the paint and put a batch into spray cans as well. I've taken the case cover in and they can match that and do a test spray to make certain it works too.

You'll probably spend about $100+ in materials once done and just do the entire case cover instead of spotting, but it's still cheaper than a $400 cover alone. I'd also put on a thicker clear coat so you can sand it and buff it down very smooth without cutting into the paint. Makes chips and boot scuffs less dramatic too as you can have ample surface to buff those down and not into the paint.

Mack
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2011, 1:32 pm
Addict

For the cost involved...live with it.
Consider it character.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2011, 1:50 pm

Touch up paint is available from Colorrite in spray cans, touch up bottles with brush, applicator pen and even in pints or quarts to use in a spray gun.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2011, 1:53 pm

While taking the bike of the center stand in my garage (in neutral) the kickstand ended up on my toes, I lifted it off my toes and the bike fell away from me. I just had the scratched fairing repaired and rear saddle bag cover painted professionally, perfect color match. $430 USD. The fairing by itself new is $1k. I now also have sliders installed, but those will not protect the bags.

13' K1600GT - Montego Blue Metallic
07' K1200GT - traded for torque monster
04' R1150RS - sold
MOA 150423 IBA 50178

Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of speed traveled over ground
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2011, 6:12 pm

Dominos....

......might be more satisfying to take of the damaged part, find the tool that tipped the Suz in the first place and touch him up with the damaged part.

.....never ceases to amaze me how some people are such as#h*les...

Does speak volumes about the strength of the side stand on your bike however!

kbikeinbc
07 krystal grey met
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2011, 5:45 am
KJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamuis
... I now also have sliders installed, but those will not protect the bags.
Do you have a picture you can post that shows the sliders? I've been curious about them, but have been reluctant to poke a hole through the fairing.

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2011, 8:23 am
IBR# 366

Check this thread, this thread, and this pdf.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2011, 8:46 am
Rookie

Sorry about the "incident"

You might try looking for a touch-up pen at your local BMW automobile dealer.

Looks like both bikes were parked in the wrong place

Last edited by realwrld; Apr 1st, 2011 at 8:54 am.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2011, 10:10 am
Rookie

When I bought my GT (used) it came with some scratches on the right side bag. I have often thought about sanding both bags down and rolling them with a semi flat black paint to make them the have the textured look like the non-color matched bags of old.................can you tell I'm not a fan of color matched bags. ........................Weird huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode