Up to 2 recalls that need to be done! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 2:54 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Up to 2 recalls that need to be done!

Just got mine for the rear link, I haven't even gotten the brake hose fixed yet! Am I an accident waiting to happen? (I mean even more than usual)
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 4:35 pm
Addict

Considering that I don't think anyone has heard of even a single case of the front brake line or rear suspension link fracturing, much less causing an accident, I wouldn't sweat it. Clearly there must have been some incident(s) somewhere that triggered BMW's concern, but it seems like the recalls are more to protect against liability than the likelihood of widespread occurrences of failures. I will get mine done when convenient, or maybe never.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 5:23 pm
Veteran

There was a guy in Dublin, Ireland where the link snapped and the rear collapsed while riding. Luckily, he was in a straight line and not in some curve where it could have been worse. Not much substantial in the piece that broke. Here's the photos:

Don't know if it was his bike that triggered the recall, but least you get a new strut and bearings. Took my dealer about 1/2 hour for that piece, and another 1/2 hour for some centerstand inspection for something. Both fully paid for by BMW and I was outta there in about an hour. Just got my US Postal recall letter today and the first I've ever gotten from BMW NA too, along with a "Who'd you sell it to?" card so they could trace the new owner - if I had sold the bike. Guess they are serious about it.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 11:02 am
Addict

Had my recall work done a week ago because I found the recall on the NTSB website and told the BMW service manager about it....he also had the news. Got the notice on Saturday also. As far as not being worried about it...well. Manufacturers don't like recalls. They only do them because of the law which also waits until enough of the same incidents happen that can be directly related to suspected parts and then the recall is forced. Meaning that the probablility that it could happen to you is quite high.

I suggest getting it done ASAP for the piece of mind, regardless of the analysis of those on the internet.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 1:42 pm
Addict

I was being a little facetious when I said maybe never and it probably should be done at a convenient opportunity, but as far as the issue being urgent or the probability of failure being 'quite high' real world experience would seem to indicate that it clearly is not. But by all means one should definitely tear on down to the dealer if you are worried about it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 1:49 pm
Enthusiast

I too, got my recall over the weekend regarding the rear link. I thought this was an old issue and for some reason I was at the end of a long list. When did this first come to light?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Rec'd mine over the weekend and left the bike at the dealer Saturday as it's forecast to rain and snow until late week. Brake line was checked last fall, bearing replacement then "game on!"

13' K1600GT - Montego Blue Metallic
07' K1200GT - traded for torque monster
04' R1150RS - sold
MOA 150423 IBA 50178

Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of speed traveled over ground
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 3:49 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Don't worry guys I won't sue ya!
It's just a PITA to get to the dealer sometimes. I'm not too worried about it.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 1:34 pm
Enthusiast

recall

I just got mine on Saturday too for the rear link. I have not received anything for the front brake. I have a 2006, is it only for 2007?

I'm thinking about proactively addressing the cam chain tensioner issue. Other than the new guard, what should I have done?

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2011, 3:12 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeler
I just got mine on Saturday too for the rear link. I have not received anything for the front brake. I have a 2006, is it only for 2007?

I'm thinking about proactively addressing the cam chain tensioner issue. Other than the new guard, what should I have done?

Do you have a extended waarranty? If so it might cover it. Mine did.....they even included the chain guard in the fix....oh boy I got away with a $7 part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode