Spencer Seat modification for K1200GT---OK with Heated? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 8:11 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Spencer Seat modification for K1200GT---OK with Heated?

Hello all, I have a Sargent driver and pillion seat that I bought to replace the Corbin driver/pillion I had. The Corbin driver seat was shorter from front to back and it isn't height adjustable. Also, the pillion was really huge---and it just looked disproportionately large next to the driver saddle, which I just didn't like.

The Corbin pillion:

Because of this, and since I had a Sargent on my 2003 K1200RS that I enjoyed, I decided to sell the Corbin and get the Sargent for my GT. The problem now is, the Sargent is a little soft (spongy)----not as bad as the stock seat----but much softer than the very firm Corbin which I prefer. So I had heard about Spencer who does a nice mod to upgrade the foam on stock and other seats.

The only issue is my driver seat is heated. Anyone use Spencer before with a heated seat? Is he able to do his foam modification and still keep the heat?

Mike M
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:56 am
Enthusiast

He sure can Mike and your heated seat will work perfectly.

I know I'm stirring up a hornet's nest (again) but I continue to be absolutely shocked at how much custom seats cost for the surface area and amount of work that's being done. Regardless of what NASA type foam is being used, fine Corinthian leather, and staples that move with the seatpan under rough road surfaces the value for me just isn't there.

I used Spencer to re-work the stock seat on my 2008 GT and for under $100 (shipping included) I couldn't have been happier. The seat is more than comfortable & supportive during aggressive riding and it doesn't look like someone perched a Barcalounger atop my bike. We emailed a handful of times before I sent in my seat and communication during the entire process couldn't have been better. I now understand why the guy does so much business.

And before I'm drawn & quartered over my comments by all that swear by Mayer, Sargent, and Corbin let me say again that I'm happy you found the perfect seat and overall value for your riding experience. I've said it before: seats are a very personal choice and each person has his or her own opinion. For my riding style and perceived value, Spencer's Seats was the best option.

I say no worries Mike. Best of luck and let us know the outcome.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2011, 6:12 pm

So did you have the seat done by Spencers ? I had my Honda RC51 done by him years ago and was happy. I want to do my K-RS seat now, my pillion n I both get numb butts after a few hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 5:15 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Spencer emailed me and said he can't do heated seats.

Mike M
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 5:18 pm
Veteran

Isn't there another seat place that does what Spencer seems to be doing? Only they'll do heated seats? But costs more that this.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2011, 7:02 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM
Spencer emailed me and said he can't do heated seats.
Wow, that's news to this old customer. He worked on my stock 2008 GT seat with heat and it's still working perfectly today (although not needed in Texas at this time of year).

Maybe he doesn't like re-working an aftermarket seat like Sargent?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2011, 9:52 pm
Veteran

dpancers, if you are curious enough to check in to this, it'd be something I'd be interested in having done (on my stock seat) but of course in WI sometimes the heat comes in handy even during the summer months sometimes! Only reason I ask is that you've dealt with the guybefore and maybe you were thinking on asking him anyways.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 1:03 pm
Enthusiast

Gilly, I wasn't going to contact Spencer until you prompted me to do so. Shot him an email this morning and received an extremely articulate response back. Bottom line, he no longer works on most BMW seats (regardless of heat option) much to my dismay. I asked for permission to share his full reply with this forum and he complied. I've also attached two pictures of seat pan damage that he had in his original email response to me.

David,

Thank you for your e-mail and the kind words.

The Sargent heated seats are a different animal than stock units. BMW takes great care in the installation of their heater units, using a completely different seat form that recesses a highly flexible, quality heater unit into the seat and has molded in channels that locates the wiring, connectors, and switches, well outside of the seating area and away from the stresses of the seat as it compresses. Sargent glues a readily available aftermarket heater unit on the top of their standard seat then glues a thin covering foam over the heater to smooth the surface. The chances of damaging the unit they use in disassembly for modification is too great to be worth the risk for what little can be gained with their seats. Basically if the chance of failure is greater than the possible reward I am not going to set myself up for a problem so do not accept Sargent heated seats of any model for work.

With that said, because of the large number of late model BMW seats that are coming from the factory with cracked seat pans (I have found better than 50%). I can not assume responsibility for this factory defect and no longer accept your model seat for modification.

Please note that the photos below are typical of what is being found, the seat pan is cracked straight through the factory staple line.

Most times the cover must be removed to see the damage that is done on the initial installation of the seat cover. The material being used causes the staple to punch out a chip, rather than just pierce the pan. I have found that as these seats are aging the high temper pan material is getting more and more brittle, increasing the chance of a seat that initially appears fine, cracking when the cover is reinstalled. Unfortunately this effects the newer R, F, K, RT, GT and LT bikes. Compounding the problem is that once the cover is removed or any work is done to the seat BMW will not replace it. I just can't do the same as other builders and put the liability on the rider should damage be found or the seat pan fail during work.

Please contact me nay time if you have questions.

Thanks again and ride safe, Spencer

www.GreatDayToRide.com
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Seat Pan1.bmp (284.8 KB, 125 views)
File Type: bmp Seat Pan2.bmp (284.8 KB, 107 views)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 1:08 pm
Addict

Oh great another BMW error in engineering..
When will it all stop?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 2:13 pm
Veteran

Thanks so much for your efforts on my behalf.
Gilly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode