BMW LED Auxiliary Brake Lite Install - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:15 am Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, New York, USA
Posts: 31
BMW LED Auxiliary Brake Lite Install

I have the BMW auxiliary LED brake lite that goes under the license palate. I have the CanBus harness for my K1300GT. This set-up did not come with instructions for installation. After plugging the harness into the LED lite itself there is a long cable run that has a male and female plug on the end of it. These two plugs appear to go into the separated female and male ends ends of a connector somewhere up front on the bike. I would appreciate help in locating this conector to be separated and this harness plugged into it. Where is it and do any body panels need to be removed to get to it?

Thanks

Francis
francis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 1:28 am
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 2,680
I think it taps into the power outlet sockets where your accessories plug into. I think I pulled that outlet panel off the left side behind the engine and attached it to the back of it somehow when I did mine. Been too long ago, but I seem to have done something like that as it needs a hot from an accessory (switched) outlet and a ground too.

Mack
GMack is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 9:26 am
Senior Member
 
NikonJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Schenectady, NY, United States
Posts: 166
Francis,
I bought the kit along with the proper harness and decided after trying to install it without directions got frustrated and returned it yesterday. It's supposed to be "plug and play" but without knowing exactly where to plug it I figure I'll just have Hyperlights installed at the next rally or at Americade. It also appears that you have to drill a hole into you rear funder to hide the installation of the wire...
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
NikonJeff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:23 pm
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonJeff
Francis,
I bought the kit along with the proper harness and decided after trying to install it without directions got frustrated and returned it yesterday. It's supposed to be "plug and play" but without knowing exactly where to plug it I figure I'll just have Hyperlights installed at the next rally or at Americade. It also appears that you have to drill a hole into you rear fender to hide the installation of the wire...
Jeff
Okay. Made me look. Yep, I had to drill a hole through the fender and a pretty large one too - maybe 5/8" or 3/4" and I probably did that with a spade wood bit going through both the fender sections as the connector is too short to go through just the outer one and mate with the other end so both have to be joined and done on the inside of the fender in total. At least the unit itself covers the hole though so you cannot see it unless you look from the inside of the fender.

The cable does appear to be routed to the left side up to the power outlets as I mentioned before. I think I just unplugged that connection and they T'd in there. I probably wrapped the entire thing in electrical tape. The electrical wasn't the biggest issue for me as it was sort of Plug-and-Play, it was drilling the large hole for the waterproof connector plug through the dual-fenders that bothered me - although you cannot see it once the LED light covers it. You can see the hole and wiring (plus the waterproof connector) from the inside of the fender. No Can-Bus issues at all, although I have blown out license plate/tail-light lamps and those threw a code up on the dash.

I'd take photos, but my photo size allotment has been max'd out on this site now.


Mack
GMack is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 1:49 pm
Addict-oholic
 
larrykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Rochelle , NY, USA
Posts: 1,401
Francis, you need to snake the cable alongside the right side of the bike under the fairing. I used a plastic flexible snake ( fish tape). Bring it out just next to the accessory socket, which is easily removed from a small panel.

It is really easy to do. Take off the canbus cable to the Accessory socket. Plug in the cable and replug the canbus wire to the other end of the plug, and you are finished. Works perfectly!

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
larrykay is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 2:43 pm Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, New York, USA
Posts: 31
BMW LED tail light install

Thanks everyone for the input.

Larry I am so new to this machine I have to ask where is the accessory socket and what panel has to be removed? Did you use zip ties to anchor the LED llight cagble to the exisating harness?

Hopefully when the weather picks up a bit we can do some riuding together.

Francis
francis is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 3:53 pm
Addict-oholic
 
larrykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Rochelle , NY, USA
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
Thanks everyone for the input.

Larry I am so new to this machine I have to ask where is the accessory socket and what panel has to be removed? Did you use zip ties to anchor the LED llight cagble to the exisating harness?

Hopefully when the weather picks up a bit we can do some riuding together.

Francis
Francis, BTW, I meant left side!!!
Take a look about 6 inches above the shift lever and you will see the accessory socket.If I remember correctly, you can loosen the two screws that hold the little panel that the accessory socket is attached to. I am not sure if you have to remove the fairing ( it was 2 years ago). If you can snake the cable from under the seat, the only place you may have to use a ziptie is to keep the wire close to the side of the rail under the seat ( good housekeping!).

Hopefully, this should help.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
larrykay is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 5:44 pm Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, New York, USA
Posts: 31
BMW LED Brake lite install

Thanks Larry
francis is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:20 pm Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, New York, USA
Posts: 31
BMW LED Brake lite install

Nikon Jeff and others.

The LED wiring harness does plug into the accessory plug as Larry described above. I followed his instructions and took out the two screws in the black plastic accessory plug panel. Behind it was the wire into the accessory plug and another connector anchored in the black plastic panel.

I unplugged the wire into the accessroy plug and plugged the LED harness male and female plugs into their respective slots...one onto the accessory plug itself and the other onto the wire that had been detached from the accessory plug. I did not install the LED on the bike just checked the harness and the accessory plug.

In looking at this set-up I don;t beleive I will have to drill a large hole into the fender. I believe I can shim the light bracket and the license plate with washers so the cable from the LED will have room to pass up the rear fender to the rear light. (Anchor the cable to the fender with a velcro)

Under the rear light there is a small piece of black plastic between the light and the rear fender. I have not opened this up to inspect it but I beleive a small corner on the left side of this plastic piece can be trimmed to accept the LED cable into the rear light mounting frame. I beleive a small hole can be drilled through this frame that would allow the plugs to pass through in routing them forward to connect into the accessory plug. I don't know if any of this can actually be done. But based upon a brief inspection of the rear light and a review of the rear underseat area near the rear lights this approach will be my first line of inquiry to mounting this auxialiary LED.
francis is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2011, 3:10 pm
Addict-oholic
 
larrykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Rochelle , NY, USA
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis
Nikon Jeff and others.

The LED wiring harness does plug into the accessory plug as Larry described above. I followed his instructions and took out the two screws in the black plastic accessory plug panel. Behind it was the wire into the accessory plug and another connector anchored in the black plastic panel.

I unplugged the wire into the accessroy plug and plugged the LED harness male and female plugs into their respective slots...one onto the accessory plug itself and the other onto the wire that had been detached from the accessory plug. I did not install the LED on the bike just checked the harness and the accessory plug.

In looking at this set-up I don;t beleive I will have to drill a large hole into the fender. I believe I can shim the light bracket and the license plate with washers so the cable from the LED will have room to pass up the rear fender to the rear light. (Anchor the cable to the fender with a velcro)

Under the rear light there is a small piece of black plastic between the light and the rear fender. I have not opened this up to inspect it but I beleive a small corner on the left side of this plastic piece can be trimmed to accept the LED cable into the rear light mounting frame. I beleive a small hole can be drilled through this frame that would allow the plugs to pass through in routing them forward to connect into the accessory plug. I don't know if any of this can actually be done. But based upon a brief inspection of the rear light and a review of the rear underseat area near the rear lights this approach will be my first line of inquiry to mounting this auxialiary LED.
If I remember correctly, I did drill a small hole and filled it with some silcone around the cable so water will not pass through. If you do shim, use silicone or something similar..You will not even need to use any velcro!!.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
larrykay is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BRAKE ! LED Fails After Software Update panhard K12/1300R/R-Sport 0 Jul 20th, 2008 4:09 pm
Brake Failure - BAD robelliott K12/1300S 8 Jun 9th, 2008 1:42 pm
Left side air filter install using BMW S parts Coastie K12/1300R/R-Sport 19 May 16th, 2007 10:04 am
Clear tail light. pdarke K12/1300R/R-Sport 11 Apr 1st, 2006 11:38 am
K12RS Ohlin rear shock install Pathogen7 Technical, Repair and Maintenance 4 Jan 26th, 2006 6:27 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome