mirror location - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 4:20 pm Thread Starter
"DELIVERS"

Question mirror location

What is the advantage of mounting mirrors on the front cowl, where they are much harder to adjust? IMO they also look better on the bars.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 5:31 pm
tmh

Maybe you are luckier (or skinnier) than me, but I find the reward visibility using the bar-mounted mirrors on the K-GT quite lacking. I have even changed to the oblong head mirrors from a K1200RS.

I think that fairing mounted mirrors can either be positioned farther outboard, or because they are farther away from your body, your body will block less or your rearward view in them. I know that the fairing mounted mirrors in my RT-P are much more effective, although these are also lower, and therefore at a narrower part of your body.

Tom
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 5:45 pm

Better look of the bike, better rear view and two holes to play with on the handlebars.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 6:00 pm

Having ridden bikes with both fairing-mount and bar-mount mirrors, I prefer the fairing mounted ones. That puts the mirrors a little further away from my eyes, requiring less focus change. I also find the fairing mount mirrors are typically higher than the others, requiring less head movement to scan the mirrors. Some will argue bar-mount mirrors affect steering, but I feel any affect is negligible compared to two arms catching wind.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 6:08 pm Thread Starter
"DELIVERS"

Cool

Guess I'll have to sit on one, but it seems to me that if a mirror is farther in front of you, you're going to see more of yourself than what's directly behind you. If the cowl-mounted mirrors are extending farther outward to compensate, the bike is then wider....not good for us lane-splitters in CA.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 7:48 pm

In the case of the new GT, it makes sense to put the mirrors on the fairing. The handlebars have a LOT of adjustability on that bike, and since it's a sport-touring bike, some of us may install larger windscreens. With the mirrors on the fairing, no windscreen vs mirror clunking at full lock.

For lane splitting, I think you'll find the bags are pretty wide too, although you could take them off.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 8:18 pm

Mirrors........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh
Maybe you are luckier (or skinnier) than me, but I find the reward visibility using the bar-mounted mirrors on the K-GT quite lacking. I have even changed to the oblong head mirrors from a K1200RS.

Tom
I want to change my mirrors (04' K12GT) to the oval KRS type, because of the better look in my opinion. But I thought I read somewhere that they vibate more?. My round ones are rock solid (hardly any blur) at high speed (100 and above). Plus, since I am rather large (my shoulders look like I am wearing football pads) I have a hard time seeing clearly around myself unless I pull my arms inward, or actually remove my hand from grips. Sometimes this can get hairy, when I am at speed, and take my hands off both sides at the same time.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 9:44 pm
Enthusiast

I like the look of the fairing mounted mirrors. I've ridden my buddy's RST with similar mirrors and the view to the rear is much better than the RS mirrors I'm using on my GT.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2006, 11:15 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkman
What is the advantage of mounting mirrors on the front cowl, where they are much harder to adjust? IMO they also look better on the bars.
I have to agree with everyone on the advantage of "mirrors on the front cowl". The view is better.

Pete

02 Kawasaki KLR 650
00 BMW K12 RS - RED!... (do I have to say it?)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 9:07 am

All things being equal (mirror size, shape, lateral positioning, degree of "convexity", etc.) simple optics would seem to imply that the closer they are to the eye, the better.

My "reducto ad absurdum" argument is the mirror I use on my bicycle. It's mounted to my helmet and only about 1" in diameter - but it's so close to my eye I get a good rear view. That same mirror at a distance wouldn't work well at all.

If equally sized mirrors seem to work better when fairing-mounted, it must have something to do with their positioning, i.e. farther apart, clear of elbows, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode