LED Brake Lights? Hyperlights? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2011, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

LED Brake Lights? Hyperlights?

I'd like a flash to solid 7" auxiliary LED brake light below my plate. BMW Brake Light, Hyper-lights? I'm not keen on either. I have a fuse panel, so I don't care about power other than to tap enough for a relay. I would like a flashing to solid to solid .

What are you using, have you had nay problems? I just added Motolights for visibility to the front and do not ride enough at night to warrant driving lights, although I if I have a change of mind I'll get some PIAAs on Jimmy Mounts for my K1200GT. Thanks! -Dennis

13' K1600GT - Montego Blue Metallic
07' K1200GT - traded for torque monster
04' R1150RS - sold
MOA 150423 IBA 50178

Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of speed traveled over ground
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2011, 11:32 am

I have hyperlites and not been rear ended on the freeway yet so they must work

I think the hyperlites OR the BMW extra LED work great, been behind bikes with them and they sure are very visible.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2011, 12:07 pm
Veteran

Just installed the BMW Supplemental LED brake light, I had hyperlights before but this thing is WAY brighter. Very easy install pretty much plug and play, make sure you get the correct wiring harness. Took more time to drill the holes in the rear splash guard and run the wires, than to actually hook it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2011, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Guys thanks for the feedback. How is the quality of the hyperlites? They look a little chintzy on their web page. I want to install it and forget about it. The bike is complicated enough as it is..

04' R1150RS - sold
MOA 150423 IBA 50178

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 9:37 am
Veteran

Compared to the BMW unit they are a bit chintzy, but they are made well enough , and I've had them on several bikes over the years and they've never failed. If you do get the Hyperlights get the bigger 16 led units, the 8 leds are too small to really be noticed.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Erik, thanks for the tip, that's the direction I was leaning. Dealer stopped carrying the BMW lights because of failures. I see other solutions out there from Radiantz ( http://www.radiantz.com/ ) and know they are not alone. I was hoping to here from more forum members.

04' R1150RS - sold
MOA 150423 IBA 50178

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 6:34 pm
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamuis
Erik, thanks for the tip, that's the direction I was leaning. Dealer stopped carrying the BMW lights because of failures. I see other solutions out there from Radiantz ( http://www.radiantz.com/ ) and know they are not alone. I was hoping to here from more forum members.
Never had a failure on my unit, and this is the 2nd one, as i sold my last bike with one installed.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Well I had the dealer install the BMW LED brake light when I was in for warranty work on Saturday. Funny thing is they told be price wise the BMW and Hyperlights would be a wash money wise as the Hyperlights took an hour to install where the BMW light only took 1/2 an hour.

It didn't sink in what happened as I wanted to get the hell out and ride after being there 3 hours - it took them 1.25 hours to install the "plug & play" BMW LED light AND they cut a hole in the rear fender even though I was told that wouldn't be necessary...

So glad I asked the "experts" to do it to save me time and aggravation since the bloody thing didn't come with installation instructions... Yes I've seen all the posts and the photos which I appreciate but didn't help for me. I don't like tearing into things without concrete info...

The light looks fine, but I'm wondering if I should've gone with the Hyperlights...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 8:13 pm
Veteran

Unless you want to see cable running up the rear fender you have to drill a hole in it; but since the hole can be drilled behind the license plate you never see the hole anyway. Also you only have to drill the hole in the fender not the slide down extension. I found that the connector can fit between the slide down plate and main fender once installed.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
Unless you want to see cable running up the rear fender you have to drill a hole in it; but since the hole can be drilled behind the license plate you never see the hole anyway. Also you only have to drill the hole in the fender not the slide down extension. I found that the connector can fit between the slide down plate and main fender once installed.
I'm not concerned with seeing the cable, but the cable is exposed to road debris and isn't a sealed connection so it will corrode at some point. Just a shoddy design or shitty installation IMHO. I haven't gotten under the rear fender to look close but there's also a hole drilled "up" under the fender well so I'm guessing that isn't water tight either...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode