07 K12GT Cam Chain or top end? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 8:08 am Thread Starter
Noob

07 K12GT Cam Chain or top end?

I had my 07GT (35K on it)out for a ride last weekend and it worked great. Parked it for a week and went out to start it yesterday and found a lot of noise coming from the engine. The engine seemed to run fine but it sounded like a chain beating on the block so I shut it down. Engine light came on but when I shut it down it seemed to be running fine.

There seems to be a lot of experience with this issue so I was wondering whant the book ends might be. Tensioner failed to catastrophic failure; liklihood?

I called the dealer and they indicated they had seen a number of them that had exhibited this noise and generally it meant replacement of cam chain, tensioners and guides but if it was running it probably had not damaged the top end. Again, your thoughts.

No warranty, does BMW cover any of this?

Thanks folks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 8:42 am

You really won't know how bad it is until they open it up. The concern obviously is metal fragments getting into the engine.

Hopefully you shut it down early enough in the process, and all will be okay. Keep us informed.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 9:42 am
Veteran

And yet another....

But hey.....take comfort from the folks that say that it's really the minority of these machines that have major problems. BS!

Sorry man...I feel your pain. But as has been said you won't know til you open it up. If it was still running you might have just experienced the chain slipping or slapping around. Best case scenario you need new tensioner, jump guard, maybe the guides...worst case the entire top end. However since it was still running think best case.

Good luck getting BMW to cover it. Maybe if you have a good dealer and good relationship with them. But it's a big maybe.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
And yet another....

But hey.....take comfort from the folks that say that it's really the minority of these machines that have major problems. BS!

Sorry man...I feel your pain. But as has been said you won't know til you open it up. If it was still running you might have just experienced the chain slipping or slapping around. Best case scenario you need new tensioner, jump guard, maybe the guides...worst case the entire top end. However since it was still running think best case.

Good luck getting BMW to cover it. Maybe if you have a good dealer and good relationship with them. But it's a big maybe.
Though problems have happened far to frequently for your own comfort....they are still the minority. Even this forum validates that fact.

No need to go Chicken Little on this poor guy.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Veteran

Well "minority" is a poor word.cause even if it's 49.9% of machines it's still the minority.

But the facts are that there are many... perhaps 1000's of these machines have had serious issues, not just the cam chain thing...and when there's only 7 or 8000 made each year I'd say that the percentages are extremely high. BMW will never give you an exact number but there are dozens (cam) alone documented here and I have dozens of others that I've been collecting over the last year or so. Besides, if it were only a few bikes in the minority and there weren't any issues then why the fixes and upgrades? Every couple of weeks there's another new horror story posted here and elsewhere about another K44 engine going BOOM!

Being in the minority doesn't do anything to help alleviate the poor soul that's just had his bike crater.

And then there's those of us out here that have "fixed" our machines to the best of our abilities but really just can't get excited about riding them any more because we don't trust them. That sucks.

There are a lot of folks out here that have been screwed by BMW. I may be more boisterous about it than some, but I don't care. I loath the company and still think that they should step up to the plate and make it right with all involved. Some one a while back mentioned a class actin suit. I would love to see it happen. Instead we get a 6 dollar part and no admission of a problem.

I feel so bad for the poor guys that are just going through the beginning of their bikes problems. Hopefully some info can help.

And I'm not going chicken little on the guy. I told him that it was probably not as bad as it sounded if it was still running. Hopefully he's got a good dealer that will go to bat for him and hopefully the top end isn't fried. If not well....it's too late. The sky has already fallen.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Don't even get me started. I'm with Robert. I did get more miles on my bike than most will see in 10 years but it doesn't change the fact that if you ride it long enough
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2011, 9:48 pm
Addict

What a troll fest this place has become. I'm out. Good luck.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 2:16 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Update

I heard back from the dealer. It turns out my bike had the new tensioner already installed but that didn't prevent the timing from jumping. They put a camera in each cylinder and inspected the piston and valves and it appears there was no contact.

They are recommending replacement of the chain, gears, guides, etc and installation of the jump preventer. The only thing they are not recommending is replacement of the tensioner. This is going to cost $1000. They indicate this should make me safe for another 35k.

They indicate they won't know for absolutely certain that nothing was hurt in the head until they get it back together but everything looked fine.

Hopefully there will be no more surprises.

BMW would cover nothing.

As to the other comments on this thread...
This is the second time I have ended up paying for BMW design deficiencies(final drive on a R1200RT). I would be in favor of a class action even though I don't think we would prevail in court. With this said, I think BMW would have great difficulty with releasing their failure rates during discovery. This may be such an issue they would settle. If anyone wants to organize such an action put me on the list of contributors. I absolutley love the bikes but I am dissappointed in BMW's inconsistent engineering and lack of conscience. I will continue to look at the next BMW with stars in my eyes and delude myself into thinking it can't happen to me again. I will at least temper this by not buying the first, or maybe even second, year production on any BMW with significant design changes. With that said it didn't help me this time.

Thanks for all of your comments. Knowledge shared is knowledge gained.

Last edited by bobandcarrie10; Apr 11th, 2011 at 2:21 pm. Reason: poor english
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 3:21 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandcarrie10
BMW would cover nothing.
That part really sucks. As if a jumped tooth is somehow your fault?

Quote:
Thanks for all of your comments. Knowledge shared is knowledge gained.
Agreed. Even if it's bad news, it still helps us all be clear on the situation.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2011, 3:38 pm
Veteran

Quote:
.....I will at least temper this by not buying the first, or maybe even second, year production on any BMW with significant design changes.
I had a BMW mechanic tell me the same (i.e. "Wait 1 year on a new model") as he was driving me to the airport during one of my GT episodes.

However, they move their designs ahead so fast now that in 2-3 years, or about when you think they have the issues resolved, they move to a whole new platform and abandon the former. Neither the K1200GT nor the K1300GT lasted very long for a model at 2 years. Didn't the K1200GT have a 2 year run (2006-2008) and the K1300GT from 2009 to 2010?

I have my doubts about the K1600GT being around long as well - although they sunk a lot into the engine design unless they move to a K1700GT in 2 years and maybe can make it a K1800GT in another 2 years. One thing BMW does well is push the tech out there for nibbles among the "I gotta have ones." If Honda moves the GW to a higher displacement or more features, BMW may counter with an even quicker model too since they've proven they can beat the Japanese "Being faster to the plate on builds." Look how Kawasaki tried to move ahead and catch the BMW S1000RR with the ZX-10 and they failed on both the release date (stopped sales for a few months from some issues) and then when it appeared, it was still slower than the BMW. Wait and see...

Regarding suits, Yamaha has had a stellar run against people suing them for their quad-runners with only one loss. Even with deaths involved. We had a local guy trying to get $200,000 for his medical bill as he claimed the thing flipped over and rolled on him from faulty design. Didn't work as you can't fix stupid driving in the hills. There used to be a bunch of off-road 3 wheelers out their too but they are all gone. Honda must have lost on those and they quit making them.

I'm surprised they did the recent "shock link recall" beyond warranty. Someone must have had one good lawsuit or threat someplace for them to do that. Until a cam blows the engine apart while riding they'll probably will do nothing as they only seem to fail on start-ups that I've read. Maybe a "Recommend thing to do (on your dime) at an oil change" for the jump guard? Not a hard thing to do if they avoid messing with the gasket too.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode