Amsoil 10w 40 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2011, 8:39 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Amsoil 10w 40

At 26k on my 07, going with synthetic for the first time. I know BMW shows 5w 40. Since Amsoil doesn't market a 5w 40, is their 10w 40 ok??

Thanks in advance

BOUAK

Jenks OK

07 K1200GT
05 R1200GS
99 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2011, 12:49 pm
Veteran

That's what I've been using, their motorcycle specific one I get from an independent Harley repair shop. My analysis from Blackstone Labs has been very good so far and it hasn't pulled "A Robert" yet. Hopefully it won't either. No squealing clutch or shudder either.

There are some photos of the inside clutch area when i did the chain jump guard on this site. It was very clean and I didn't see any yellow varnish anyplace. I looked t the clutch pack for any indication of the plates cutting into the basket and didn't see anything there either. Cam chain tension was tight on both sides too so the tensioner must be holding pressure so that was good I guess.

I'm using their gear oil stuff in the final too. Hasn't chunked-out or leaked yet either..knock on wood. Blackstone is clean on the report their too for any sundry metals contaminating the oil (like chrome off some ball bearing).

Mack
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2011, 3:00 pm
Veteran

I used the Amsoil for a while on my 08GT, it's good stuff, but I was still getting clutch squeal. On my last oil change I switched to Castrol and I'm getting almost no clutch squeal, I don't think it's because Castrol's a better oil than Amsoil but that the 5-40 is better weight for the GT's clutch, YMMV

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040544

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode