Headlight out indicator - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 7:05 am Thread Starter
Addict

Headlight out indicator

I don't know about anyone else, but it seems my '06 loves to eat headlights. I have noticed that if the headlight flashes (almost like a flash bulb) when I turn the ignition on it won't be long before it goes out. So the last time it went out, I replaced it with an HID and it's been working great for ab out a month now.

Well, this morning I go to start the bike and when I turn on the ignition I notice the flash again. What the....???? So I push the starter button, the bike fires up and sure enough no headlight. Now, I'm thinking...wtf???? This is HID. It shouldn't be burnt out already. So I turn the ignition off, wait a sec or 2, then turn it back on and hit the starter. And lo and behold, I have a headlight. Hmmmm....odd. So I get on the bike and get ready to back out of the garage, and what do I see? The headlight indicator staring at me. What the heck is going on? I still have my HID low beam and the high beam works.

Has this happened to anyone else? How can I reset that indicator?

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 10:13 am
Veteran

Agreed on the original bulbs. Before the upgrade mine ate bulbs every 4 to 5k miles. Which brand of HID? Maybe the canbus doesn't like the ballast? Some of the ballasts are really cheap and cheesy and they do go bad.

Only way I know of to reset the light is either a new ballast that it like or possibly a GS-911 but even after the reset if the original problem persists then it likely will turn the idiot light back on.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 10:55 am Thread Starter
Addict

I'm having a senior moment here and can't remember the brand of the unit. I do remember that the unit is real thin.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2011, 11:41 am
Enthusiast

I had a similar problem with factory Hid light in k1300gt. Sometimes it would work when started and sometimes would not. Dealer replaced bulb but problem persisted. Took it to another dealer who thought it might be exiter/ballast box but did not want to replace it because of substantial cost BMW would make him eat if that didnt fix it. Factory tech looked at it and thought it was in canbus circuit. Never did fix it to my knowledge.

I agree with Robert it is probably the exiter/ballast which should not be too expensive to replace being aftermarket. Whether it will work well with the canbus warning system is a mystery but worth a try.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 3:32 pm

I have had this numerous times. At first it was a loose spade connection where you hook up the stock wiring to the hid wires. I simply squeezed the two spade terminals with pliers and now they fit snugly. Another two times it was that both parking lights were burned out. They are a bit of a pain to change too. Once the problem is fixed the light will go out by itself on the next start up.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 8:46 am
Veteran

I'd blame the bulb. The ignitor give the bulb the current long enough to start. If it hasn't started in the time the ignitor send the current to the bulb for starting, then the ignitor steps down to the normal operational voltage. Since the bulb didn't have a stable arc, the bulb goes dark. The bike senses the lack of current consumption and trips the warning light. Everything is working as it should except the bulb itself.
I've had this part happen to me a few times with my conversion kit, and a restart of the bike fixes it.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 4:18 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
I'd blame the bulb. The ignitor give the bulb the current long enough to start. If it hasn't started in the time the ignitor send the current to the bulb for starting, then the ignitor steps down to the normal operational voltage. Since the bulb didn't have a stable arc, the bulb goes dark. The bike senses the lack of current consumption and trips the warning light. Everything is working as it should except the bulb itself.
I've had this part happen to me a few times with my conversion kit, and a restart of the bike fixes it.
You make some good points about the exiter versus bulb. When i had problems the bulb would sporadically not light or would light for 30 seconds then go out. A restart would fix it. The dealer replaced the bulb twice and worked with the bmwna tech for months trying to figure it out. They finally claimed it was fixed but I never took it home to find out. For the sake of its new owner hope this is true.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2011, 2:47 pm
Looking for better limits...

I have a 2003GT that I've converted to HID. Couple of times I've started the bike and the headlight goes out with out coming back on.

When you turn on the ignition, power is applied to the headlamp. Pushing the starter button causes a load-shed relay to operate, removing any unnecessary electrical load so the starter has all available resources from the battery. Release the start button when the engine fires up, and the load-shed relay goes back to normal. Headlight once again has power, and most of the time lights back up.
I don't know this, but I believe that once the engine starts, the igniter may not fire up again if the duration of power loss is too short (engine fires up really fast). But, to fix this I wait a couple of seconds, hit the starter button again (to turn off the power to the headlamp via the load-shed relay) and when I release it, the headlamp fires right up. Since the engine is running, the starter does nothing on the starter-button push.

Might be the same with the newer K-GT's without HID from the factory. With the factory installed HID, the headlight doesn't light up until the motor is running.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Veteran

On the newer GTs the headlight doesn't come on until the engine is running, regardless of if it has factory Xenon or halogen headlight.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode