BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Reinserting Driveshaft on KGT?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  kbmwrs 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience reinserting a driveshaft on a 2006-2011 KGT? What tricks did you use to get the engine-side splines to go in?

The RepRom is not very descriptive. It says, "Slide the universal shaft into the output shaft, using a length of wire or similar to lift the front splined section."

I assume that they mean, "Take a piece of wire and loop it underneath the front of the driveshaft on the engine side, so you can lift and direct it into the engine shaft, then pull the wire out after you seat the front of the driveshaft (or maybe after you get the final drive in position)." Maybe you put the loop of wire in before you slid the driveshaft into place?

Why am I asking?

1. I want to know how to put the driveshaft back, in case it slips out while changing the final drive oil.

2. I want to be able to lube the splines on the engine side of the driveshaft, in addition to the final drive side.

#2 ·
Not able to answer the question but I have changed my final drive oil and lube the rear splines...in doing so the shaft seemed to come out, to my horror. I just pushed it back in place so the tranny was engaged...tried moving the shaft, it felt locked in....so I pput it all back together and it has run fine since.

I have done two more final oil changes since with no consequences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.