BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Miles to Km odometer change, how?

23K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  musicman 
#1 ·
Purchased a US 2010 K1300Gt with the onboard computer. Bringing it home to Canada! How do I change the odometer from Miles to Km?

Thanks

#2 ·
I considered buying a US model GT and looked into the change over. Basically, you would first have to change over the instruments to get the metric speedo, then assuming that it can be done, you'd need to get the computer updated to register in KMs. From what I could figure out, that would either be a matter of at minimum reprogramming or at worst replacing the computer in the bike with a Canadian spec one assuming that you could even do so and get it to work. Even the BMW techs at the dealership were unsure if it could be done successfully.

Essentially I decided that it was too much bother and kept looking for a Canadian model. As you have all ready bought the bike, I suggest you just get used to doing conversions and just enjoy the bike.

#3 ·
While anything is possible I'd be amazed if any hardware actually had to be swapped to do a metric/English conversion. I'd have to believe that this could be done by a dealer using their diagnostic computer, unless BMW has explicitly disabled this to interfere with cross-border purchases (which sounds like something they'd do.)

#4 ·
Save your time, money and energy

Squinting to read inner dial on speedo may be easier and a lot less expensive. The instrument is big bucks.

It's just easier to learn this:

100 KPH = 60 MPH
100 Kilometers = 60 Miles

#5 ·
smiller said:
While anything is possible I'd be amazed if any hardware actually had to be swapped to do a metric/English conversion. I'd have to believe that this could be done by a dealer using their diagnostic computer, unless BMW has explicitly disabled this to interfere with cross-border purchases (which sounds like something they'd do.)
The speedometer is different, the dial for the US model has both mph and Km/h scales, the rest of the world version has only Km/h so it would have to be changed for sure and it's about $1700 new.

I would imagine BMW would not be allowed to mess with the computer too much due to the legal aspects of it. If the bike carries a US model compliance labling, then it would probably have to be kept US compliant. Even if the dealer was able to flash the computer to a Canadian spec for metric, they may not be leagally allowed to.Thus, in the BMW system, there may be no way to do it. When the bike is connected to the system, it verifies the model specs by the serial number and if it shows up as a US bike, then that would most likely be the only spec it would allow it to be set as. Thus the need to possibly change the bikes computer with a Canadian one, which would most likely have to come from a wrecked bike since BMW would probably only sell you one for the original spec. At any rate, that could open a whole new can of worms due to different equipment configurations for emmissions and such.

In theory, being electronics, yes it would seem it should be simple, but laws and such make it very complicated. Now if the US would just grow up and get on board with the rest of the world and start using metric, we wouldn't have this problem. :D

#6 ·
Ah, I didn't realize that the non-US speedos didn't have mph/kph markings. But... as far as liability goes, just about every car made in the last ten years or so has a simple owner-controlled procedure to change from metric to English readings, it's very common and no big deal. I bet some other brands of motorcycles have that feature as well.

#7 ·
mcmxcivrs said:
Now if the US would just grow up and get on board with the rest of the world and start using metric, we wouldn't have this problem. :D
Amen to that! Metrification got derailed in this country when they went into conversion mode instead of just setting a date on the calendar and remarking the roads, packaging, etc. etc. Personally, I'd love to see the US go metric so I could be burning those Imperial Gallons and improve my mileage... :D :D

GTRider

#8 ·
GTRider said:
Amen to that! Metrification got derailed in this country when they went into conversion mode instead of just setting a date on the calendar and remarking the roads, packaging, etc. etc. Personally, I'd love to see the US go metric so I could be burning those Imperial Gallons and improve my mileage... :D :D

GTRider
Sorry to burst your bubble, but imperial gallons are not metric either. We use Litres which are much smaller, just a bit larger than your quart. Fortunately the kilometer is also shorter than the mile, so km/L is not quite so awful. But here's the kicker, fuel consumption in metric is expressed as L/100Kms. So just when you think that nice big number you got is good, its really not, smaller is better :banghead: :crazy: :crazy:

FWIW, I still like mileage expressed in MPG. :wtf: Fortunately with modern electronic stuff like smartphones, there are lots of cool apps that take the headaches out of the conversions.

#12 ·
Brokerecord said:
USA get on board, hell, we are the board.
Yep, sure sounds like a Broken Record to me . . . ;)

If Go USA! is so great and everything else sucks, we'd all be riding Harleys, now wouldn't we? :dunno: :rotf:

#14 ·
miles to kms

MTVATHOME...I see your predicament with your american bike.
I would not fiddle with the instruments ($$$$$) big hassle. I had to go through the change(metric that is) best and most economical plan is to do it in your head. You will get used to it.
for a reasonable approximation..just multiply whatever speed you are at by 6 and add the result to your miles per hour. if you wanted to convert kms to miles just multiply by 6 ie; 60 kms x 6=36 mph 80kms x 6=48mph 110 mph 110x 6=166 kms. It will become second nature in no time!

Clear as mud?
See ya..good luck
qkvic

#16 ·
Thanks all for your feedback and input. The speedo needs to show Km/h to be registered in Canada. Even though it's small on the dial it's there! Was interested in the computer change and am surprised that BMW does not have one computer for all bikes with a simple metric imperial setting!?!? Thanks for your help

#17 ·
mtvathome said:
Thanks all for your feedback and input. The speedo needs to show Km/h to be registered in Canada. Even though it's small on the dial it's there! Was interested in the computer change and am surprised that BMW does not have one computer for all bikes with a simple metric imperial setting!?!? Thanks for your help
I'd bet that the physical computer is the same, but the programming is dependant on the original locale the bike was built for. BMW is the only ones who can re-programm and they would not be allowed to change it. Thus, changing the computer to one from a metric spec bike is not so much about getting the hardware as it is the sorftware.

#19 ·
odometer from Miles to Km?

Hi Folks,

The on board computer in the K1200\1300 GT can be changed in about 10 minutes

to what ever you want, I had it done myself 12 months ago, mine is a K1200 GT which was

changed from Odometer Kilometers to Miles it was simple.

I used an Independent BMW dealership the cost was £25.00 about $41.00

The software in the bike supports both Miles & Kilometers...

Hope that helps Regards Mack......

#20 ·
The OBC can be changed, but the speedometer can't. The needle will be where it's supposed to be, the problem is the display won't, the display (face) needs to be changed. In any even the US display does show both, just that the Miles are prominent and the KPH is small.

#21 ·
BSA250 said:
Hi Folks,

The on board computer in the K1200\1300 GT can be changed in about 10 minutes

to what ever you want, I had it done myself 12 months ago, mine is a K1200 GT which was

changed from Odometer Kilometers to Miles it was simple.

I used an Independent BMW dealership the cost was £25.00 about $41.00

The software in the bike supports both Miles & Kilometers...

Hope that helps Regards Mack......
Thanks BSA,
So your dealership wasn't an official BMW dealer but had all their softwear?
I've just imported an F800GS to Oz from UK and need my computer changed.
J

#22 ·
qkvic said:
MTVATHOME...I see your predicament with your american bike.
I would not fiddle with the instruments ($$$$$) big hassle. I had to go through the change(metric that is) best and most economical plan is to do it in your head. You will get used to it.
for a reasonable approximation..just multiply whatever speed you are at by 6 and add the result to your miles per hour. if you wanted to convert kms to miles just multiply by 6 ie; 60 kms x 6=36 mph 80kms x 6=48mph 110 mph 110x 6=166 kms. It will become second nature in no time!
Having a US bike in NZ, I've found it's not all that satisfactory to do calcs in your head. The inner Km markings are too small to see quickly as your eye is drawn to the larger MPH markings. The calcs are somewhat more complicated as they are layered in reality. For instance, the 100kph limit here in NZ has 3 factors... the general 100kph conversion, my LT's approx 5 mph overage and the approx 5kph fudge allowed by the cops. What I tend to do is have two points on the dial I have memorized that I am happy with that I use for the most common 80kph and 100kph zones. This has been effective.

I notice on fast corners, when occasionally I'll want to glance down to check my speed to get a relativity against the advised speed, the dial is useless, and I barely use it any longer. I found when I did 5 hours recently on an RT with full kph dial it was great, very helpful - its not until you have it that your realize how much you missed it.

I assume the odo's on the GT are an electronic display and do the conversion from whatever the base the system runs in.

#23 ·
longwayfromhome said:
Having a US bike in NZ, I've found it's not all that satisfactory to do calcs in your head. The inner Km markings are too small to see quickly as your eye is drawn to the larger MPH markings...
Also in NZ, riding a K1200GT originally from the US. The computer has been switched to read in kms, and I am using my Garmin 550 Zumo for its readout as the inner "ring" is indeed pretty hard to see at a glance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.