Miles to Km odometer change, how? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2011, 12:41 am Thread Starter
Noob

Miles to Km odometer change, how?

Purchased a US 2010 K1300Gt with the onboard computer. Bringing it home to Canada! How do I change the odometer from Miles to Km?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2011, 9:59 am

I considered buying a US model GT and looked into the change over. Basically, you would first have to change over the instruments to get the metric speedo, then assuming that it can be done, you'd need to get the computer updated to register in KMs. From what I could figure out, that would either be a matter of at minimum reprogramming or at worst replacing the computer in the bike with a Canadian spec one assuming that you could even do so and get it to work. Even the BMW techs at the dealership were unsure if it could be done successfully.

Essentially I decided that it was too much bother and kept looking for a Canadian model. As you have all ready bought the bike, I suggest you just get used to doing conversions and just enjoy the bike.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:31 am
Addict

While anything is possible I'd be amazed if any hardware actually had to be swapped to do a metric/English conversion. I'd have to believe that this could be done by a dealer using their diagnostic computer, unless BMW has explicitly disabled this to interfere with cross-border purchases (which sounds like something they'd do.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:48 am
Rookie

Save your time, money and energy

Squinting to read inner dial on speedo may be easier and a lot less expensive. The instrument is big bucks.

It's just easier to learn this:

100 KPH = 60 MPH
100 Kilometers = 60 Miles

--------------------
Boston Bagger (in Florida)
--------------------
2008 BMW K1200GT (Grey)
2007 BMW K1200GT (Silver) (Totaled by other)
2004 BMW R1150RT (Silver Ghost)
2001 Harley ElectraGlide STD. (Black)
1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Olive Green / Cream)
1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro RT-1 (Black)
1968 Yamaha 125 / 175 Enduro AT-1 (White)
1963 Honda 250 Scrambler
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
While anything is possible I'd be amazed if any hardware actually had to be swapped to do a metric/English conversion. I'd have to believe that this could be done by a dealer using their diagnostic computer, unless BMW has explicitly disabled this to interfere with cross-border purchases (which sounds like something they'd do.)
The speedometer is different, the dial for the US model has both mph and Km/h scales, the rest of the world version has only Km/h so it would have to be changed for sure and it's about $1700 new.

I would imagine BMW would not be allowed to mess with the computer too much due to the legal aspects of it. If the bike carries a US model compliance labling, then it would probably have to be kept US compliant. Even if the dealer was able to flash the computer to a Canadian spec for metric, they may not be leagally allowed to.Thus, in the BMW system, there may be no way to do it. When the bike is connected to the system, it verifies the model specs by the serial number and if it shows up as a US bike, then that would most likely be the only spec it would allow it to be set as. Thus the need to possibly change the bikes computer with a Canadian one, which would most likely have to come from a wrecked bike since BMW would probably only sell you one for the original spec. At any rate, that could open a whole new can of worms due to different equipment configurations for emmissions and such.

In theory, being electronics, yes it would seem it should be simple, but laws and such make it very complicated. Now if the US would just grow up and get on board with the rest of the world and start using metric, we wouldn't have this problem.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2011, 2:48 pm
Addict

Ah, I didn't realize that the non-US speedos didn't have mph/kph markings. But... as far as liability goes, just about every car made in the last ten years or so has a simple owner-controlled procedure to change from metric to English readings, it's very common and no big deal. I bet some other brands of motorcycles have that feature as well.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs
Now if the US would just grow up and get on board with the rest of the world and start using metric, we wouldn't have this problem.
Amen to that! Metrification got derailed in this country when they went into conversion mode instead of just setting a date on the calendar and remarking the roads, packaging, etc. etc. Personally, I'd love to see the US go metric so I could be burning those Imperial Gallons and improve my mileage...

GTRider
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider
Amen to that! Metrification got derailed in this country when they went into conversion mode instead of just setting a date on the calendar and remarking the roads, packaging, etc. etc. Personally, I'd love to see the US go metric so I could be burning those Imperial Gallons and improve my mileage...

GTRider
Sorry to burst your bubble, but imperial gallons are not metric either. We use Litres which are much smaller, just a bit larger than your quart. Fortunately the kilometer is also shorter than the mile, so km/L is not quite so awful. But here's the kicker, fuel consumption in metric is expressed as L/100Kms. So just when you think that nice big number you got is good, its really not, smaller is better

FWIW, I still like mileage expressed in MPG. Fortunately with modern electronic stuff like smartphones, there are lots of cool apps that take the headaches out of the conversions.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2011, 12:04 pm

its not a big deal to do the math, both my cars have KPH speedo's and not MPH, you get used to the math in the your head very quickly.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2011, 3:09 pm
Addict-oholic

I assume, some astute cmputer art designer can create a transparency or decal that could be an overlay with the mph and kmh printed on it.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in