Rear Wheel Bearing Failure on 1300 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2011, 3:21 pm Thread Starter
TLW
Noob

Unhappy Rear Wheel Bearing Failure on 1300 GT

A fantastic forecast for Scotland to have four sunny days which is a miracle so decide to do a long ride around the Highlands.John o'Groats to Durness then home via Loch Shin. A cracking ride on quiet roads with stunning scenery. It never happened ! I decided to replace the rear tyre before the ride and as the mechanic was replacing the wheel he announced the rear bearing was in such a bad state the bike is not fit to ride.The bike is two years old, the warranty ran out 3 weeks ago and it has only done 6000 miles! Fortunately I purchased an extended warranty (only because I figured an electrical problem on a bike with lots of computer controlled settings could be expensive) but I am still vexed that such an expensive motorbike has had a major part failure after so little time. I was a just wondering if anyone else out there had a similar problem? I will be writing to BMW UK asking for a rebate of my £100 excess on the warranty but my confidence in the reliability of the bike has taken a pounding. I really thought an expensive top of the range BMW Bike would be reliable . You could say I was lucky the fault was picked up before breaking down in the middle of the Northern Highlands but this is unacceptable on a prestige motorcycle.The bike is still at the dealers so a very frustrating Royal Wedding/ Public Holiday watching all the other bikers making the most of the good weather.

Last edited by TLW; May 1st, 2011 at 3:25 pm. Reason: add to title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old May 1st, 2011, 5:02 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLW
A fantastic forecast for Scotland to have four sunny days which is a miracle so decide to do a long ride around the Highlands.John o'Groats to Durness then home via Loch Shin. A cracking ride on quiet roads with stunning scenery. It never happened ! I decided to replace the rear tyre before the ride and as the mechanic was replacing the wheel he announced the rear bearing was in such a bad state the bike is not fit to ride.The bike is two years old, the warranty ran out 3 weeks ago and it has only done 6000 miles! Fortunately I purchased an extended warranty (only because I figured an electrical problem on a bike with lots of computer controlled settings could be expensive) but I am still vexed that such an expensive motorbike has had a major part failure after so little time. I was a just wondering if anyone else out there had a similar problem? I will be writing to BMW UK asking for a rebate of my £100 excess on the warranty but my confidence in the reliability of the bike has taken a pounding. I really thought an expensive top of the range BMW Bike would be reliable . You could say I was lucky the fault was picked up before breaking down in the middle of the Northern Highlands but this is unacceptable on a prestige motorcycle.The bike is still at the dealers so a very frustrating Royal Wedding/ Public Holiday watching all the other bikers making the most of the good weather.
Sadly, this is a common problem, especially with the earlier K1200GTs. Meese has lost two final drives, and decided to carry a spare one in the 2009 Iron Butt Rally. Fortunately, he didn't need it. BeniciaRT has lost three.

There are many threads on the subject, but here is one to get you started, a poll: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13826
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 4:01 am Thread Starter
TLW
Noob

Rear Wheel Bearing Failure on 1300 GT

Thanks for the pointer. Having just read all the threads you recommended I sincerely hope this is my "one off failure" and the replacement will give me at least 30,000 miles hassle free bike miles! This is relying on the fact that there are a shed load more 1300 Gts out there who have had trouble free bearings. Fingers crossed but it still is a major concern as I intend to do some serious miles on the Continent next summer. I made an error in gently riding the bike from the tyre shop to the BMW dealer and not using BMW recovery which would have given me a replacement bike if mine was not fixed within 4 hours. But you live and learn. Safe biking to you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 5:13 am
Addict

I guess the 1300 is too new to try and find a good spare drive for.

I have a rebuilt spare rear drive for my KRS which sits in the garage with a big label on it ready to be DHL'd to anywhere in the world. That's my insurance policy. But I agree you shouldn't have to even think about it on a new low mileage bike.

You've probably read up a lot on BMW rear drives now, did you have any early warning signs of leaks or metal swarf in the oil? Who and when did the last oil check on the drive. I can imagine though that a trip through a lot of twisties would test the strength and reliability of a drive, particularly if you were riding fully loaded and with a passenger.

I hope you get some satisfaction from BMW. Even £100 compensation falls short with all that happened to you.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 9:30 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLW
....The bike is still at the dealers so a very frustrating Royal Wedding/ Public Holiday watching all the other bikers making the most of the good weather.
So not only do you have a broken down bike...but this failure has forced you to have to watch the royal wedding? Oh the horrors....just shoot yourself now!

Something new for BMW to be held accountable for.....the pain and suffering from mechanical break down causes otherwise sane thinking cogent people to spend time consuming the brain dead mindless dribble of the royal wedding....

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:01 am Thread Starter
TLW
Noob

1300 GT Rear Bearing Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I

IYou've probably read up a lot on BMW rear drives now, did you have any early warning signs of leaks or metal swarf in the oil? Who and when did the last oil check on the drive. I can imagine though that a trip through a lot of twisties would test the strength and reliability of a drive, particularly if you were riding fully loaded and with a passenger.

I hope you get some satisfaction from BMW. Even £100 compensation falls short with all that happened to you.
Ther are a lot of twisty roads here in the far north of Scotland, and I do a lot of riding with my wife as passenger but she is a lightweight. The oil was presumably checked at the annual service one year ago by the BMW mechanics. The bike was booked in for a 2 year service next week. On the start of the ride as I accelerated to 70 MPH there was what can only be described as a light rattle, I was concerned enough to stop the bike and check that all the panniers and cowlings were secure which they were. Our roads are in an atrocious condition after the hard winter so the occasional "squirrely" feel I put down to a worn tyre albeit legal and bad roads. I was mistakenly under the impression the 1300 drive shaft is a sealed unit , to be honest I would not know how to check the Final drive Oil level.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:42 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
So not only do you have a broken down bike...but this failure has forced you to have to watch the royal wedding? Oh the horrors....just shoot yourself now!

Something new for BMW to be held accountable for.....the pain and suffering from mechanical break down causes otherwise sane thinking cogent people to spend time consuming the brain dead mindless dribble of the royal wedding....
I missed much of last summer's riding season courtesy of BMW. If I had not rented and then bought another bike while BMW was dithering over mine, I would have missed just about all of it. That said, with all the pain and suffering this caused, I would never have stooped so low as to watch a Royal Wedding! Just saying.....
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:41 pm
Addict

I strapped my iPad to my handlebars and watched the Royal Diddling while riding by BMW bike to Starbucks for a latte.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:43 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
I strapped my iPad to my handlebars and watched the Royal Diddling
I didn't realize they'd televised the honeymoon, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:16 pm
Addict

Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode