1600GTL vs. 1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 8:32 am Thread Starter

1600GTL vs. 1300GT

According to Cycle World the 16GTL has a measured top speed of only 139 mph vs. the 1300GT's 155+. Moreover, the 60-80 mph top gear roll on of the GTL was significantly slower than the 1300GT. However, 1/4 mile performance is comperable between the two.

So, what I glean from this is that the 1600GT's performance will fall a bit short of the 1300GT's as well.

Not that I particularly care much....just an observation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:12 am
Veteran

I heard that too. The K1200GT may even outperform it on the top end and roll-on. Has to be the weight, fairing, and gearing. Maybe it has been de-tuned a bit too?

I dunno about the BMW K1600GT as someone else said it's going to cost a small fortune should it fall down and go boom. I'll await someone's crash report as I could have bought another BMW for all the dang plastic damages I've done to mine. No bike should cost $4,500 for a 'minor' tip over.

Fwiw, I saw the 2011 Indian Roadmaster Chief with the "Bottlecap" (or was it "Beercap?") 105ci engine. Sort of interesting, but not at $37,000 the way it was configured. It'll be interesting to see what Polaris does with it since they own them as of 3 weeks ago. Still cheaper than a $42,000 Harley CVO though. Local H-D dealer got another to sell. He must have sold 4-5 of those things now. Someone is still dropping a lot of cash on them.

Mack
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:41 pm
IBR# 366

There's so much more to riding that sheer top-end performance, so these "comparisons" don't phase me at all.

I've also heard from real owners (not paid bike journalists) that the Slant/4 motor is silky smooth and can pull hard in any gear from right down near idle. Try that with your Slant/4 and get back to me . . .

These bikes are about real-world rideability. Tons of pull down low where you need it, and enough overhead to wind it out just for fun. If you're used to running constantly in the upper rev range, squeezing every last bit of performance from a bike, then the grunt of the Slant/6 won't impress you much. Then again, if you really do ride like that, you're gonna be on an S1000RR or GSXR anyway . . .

As for the other points, the exposed engine on the K16 bikes means that crash bars are trivial, so a low-speed tip over should actually do very little permanent damage.

And the GTL is speed limited, to minimize aerodynamic instability with the trunk in place, but the GT is not.

The reports I'm getting from real riders on real roads say that there's pretty much nothing a K13 can do that a K16 can't do . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
There's so much more to riding that sheer top-end performance, so these "comparisons" don't phase me at all.

I've also heard from real owners (not paid bike journalists) that the Slant/4 motor is silky smooth and can pull hard in any gear from right down near idle. Try that with your Slant/4 and get back to me . . .

These bikes are about real-world rideability. Tons of pull down low where you need it, and enough overhead to wind it out just for fun. If you're used to running constantly in the upper rev range, squeezing every last bit of performance from a bike, then the grunt of the Slant/6 won't impress you much. Then again, if you really do ride like that, you're gonna be on an S1000RR or GSXR anyway . . .

As for the other points, the exposed engine on the K16 bikes means that crash bars are trivial, so a low-speed tip over should actually do very little permanent damage.

And the GTL is speed limited, to minimize aerodynamic instability with the trunk in place, but the GT is not.

The reports I'm getting from real riders on real roads say that there's pretty much nothing a K13 can do that a K16 can't do . . .
I tend to agree, but did not know the GTL top speed was limited, which changes the perspective.

That being the case I see no reason why the 16GT would not be comperable in top end to the 13GT.

I did pre-order a GT, but I seriously doubt I'll pull the trigger.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 5:54 pm
Addict

The current Motorcyclist contains a ride review of the 1600GTL and in a nutshell... they freakin' loved it, virtually no negatives to be found. They even praised the neutral handling to the point of comparing it to sportbikes. You don't see reviews that uniformly positive (in the opinions of all three reviewers, all of which are performance-oriented riders) very often. If the 1600 can resist self-destructing after x miles it sounds like it may be a new class leader, similar to the 1000RR.

But yes, the outright performance stats put it behind the 1300 in sheer acceleration, and maybe the 1200 as well. What was commented on was the arm-straightening torque, anytime, anywhere, and how effortless it was to ride, even for all its size and weight (and it is heavy.) That apparently was what BMW was aiming at and it seems they hit the target dead center.

But in the end the question (as always, but often overlooked) isn't whether the new bike is a little better/faster/smoother than the old (they usually are), but whether whatever difference exists is worth a $10,000+ price premium over a lightly-used slant 4, a very good bike in itself. That factor is always in the eye of the beholder.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 6:17 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
The current Motorcyclist contains a ride review of the 1600GTL and in a nutshell... they freakin' loved it, virtually no negatives to be found. They even praised the neutral handling to the point of comparing it to sportbikes. You don't see reviews that uniformly positive (in the opinions of all three reviewers, all of which are performance-oriented riders) very often. If the 1600 can resist self-destructing after x miles it sounds like it may be a new class leader, similar to the 1000RR.

But yes, the outright performance stats put it behind the 1300 in sheer acceleration, and maybe the 1200 as well. What was commented on was the arm-straightening torque, anytime, anywhere, and how effortless it was to ride, even for all its size and weight (and it is heavy.) That apparently was what BMW was aiming at and it seems they hit the target dead center.

But in the end the question (as always, but often overlooked) isn't whether the new bike is a little better/faster/smoother than the old (they usually are), but whether whatever difference exists is worth a $10,000+ price premium over a lightly-used slant 4, a very good bike in itself. That factor is always in the eye of the beholder.
Just wondering -- did BMW have a full-page ad in Motorcyclist magazine? I am very leery of the so-called road tests in these mass-market type of publications. Seems like the favorability of the review moves in direct proportion to ad dollars spent. I put more faith in reviews by real riders (and their service experiences -- and as you said, will it self-destruct?). The press was orgasmic over certain previous models, which turned out to be something less in real life.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 6:32 pm
Veteran

In reference to the "155+" that a 1300 will do, I thought there was a speed or rev limiter on the 1300 that the 1200 doesn't have. I'd have to search back threads about the 1300 when it came out. I would assume the 1200 has a limiter of some sorts on it, but not the same as a 1300 has. Just a little confused about what I had heard. Anyone know the facts?

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2011, 7:03 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto
I am very leery of the so-called road tests in these mass-market type of publications.
Well there is that of course, but then again I've seen them pan their share of bikes as well (right across from a full-page ad from the same manufacturer.) Plus if they give artificial praise to BMW won't that anger Honda, etc., who are also big advertisers? If an editorial staff starts to play that game then they can never win.

And while one review is never conclusive I have a feeling that the 1600GT/GTL is going to fare very well in the press. I'm not saying that because I have any great affection or bias for the bike (in fact I have absolutely no intent on owning one for quite a while, if ever), it's just my take so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
In reference to the "155+" that a 1300 will do, I thought there was a speed or rev limiter on the 1300 that the 1200 doesn't have. I'd have to search back threads about the 1300 when it came out. I would assume the 1200 has a limiter of some sorts on it, but not the same as a 1300 has. Just a little confused about what I had heard. Anyone know the facts?
The 1200 runs out of engine at around 150, and there's wasn't any limiter that I could tell, err, I mean that I've heard about... I don't know about the 1300 but since in GT trim it makes all of 8 hp more than the 1200 I doubt it would top out significantly higher.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2011, 3:42 am
Veteran

That's why I was curious about the top speed of the 1300. With a limiter it might top out at less than a 1200, even though it had more power.
I would just assume the 1200 has some sort of limiter, at least for over rev protection.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old May 4th, 2011, 5:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
That's why I was curious about the top speed of the 1300. With a limiter it might top out at less than a 1200, even though it had more power.
I would just assume the 1200 has some sort of limiter, at least for over rev protection.
There is no speed limiter in either the 1200 or 1300, and the GPS doesn't lie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode