Normal Seat vs. Low Profile Seat - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2011, 10:58 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Normal Seat vs. Low Profile Seat

I've only had my 07 K12GT for about 6 months and love it a great deal, except for a few things. I really hate the seat, which I found was a Sargent recovered stock BMW low profile seat. It's torture on my crotch. It feels like my torso wants to slide forward, but the texture on the vinyl seat keeps the slide to a minimum, but there sure is a far amount of crotch crunch in the mean time. If I slide to the back of the seat, it's almost as I feel it even more. I'm 6 ft 2 and have bar backs and lower foot pegs. I can even feel the rear seat under the rear of the driver seat.

Last night, in reading the seat pan number, I found that I have a low profile seat, which I'm guessing is pretty common. Yes - No ?? Is there such think as stock?

Are the seats pans similar except for how much padding is on the top? Whats the real difference if anyone knows.

Phil

--------------------
Boston Bagger (in Florida)
--------------------
2008 BMW K1200GT (Grey)
2007 BMW K1200GT (Silver) (Totaled by other)
2004 BMW R1150RT (Silver Ghost)
2001 Harley ElectraGlide STD. (Black)
1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Olive Green / Cream)
1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro RT-1 (Black)
1968 Yamaha 125 / 175 Enduro AT-1 (White)
1963 Honda 250 Scrambler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2011, 1:21 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

No one knows anything on this topic?

--------------------
Boston Bagger (in Florida)
--------------------
2008 BMW K1200GT (Grey)
2007 BMW K1200GT (Silver) (Totaled by other)
2004 BMW R1150RT (Silver Ghost)
2001 Harley ElectraGlide STD. (Black)
1999 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Olive Green / Cream)
1971 Yamaha 360 Enduro RT-1 (Black)
1968 Yamaha 125 / 175 Enduro AT-1 (White)
1963 Honda 250 Scrambler
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2011, 2:45 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bagger
No one knows anything on this topic?
I will give it a try.

When your 2007 K1200GT was originally sold, you could buy the standard seat (my words) or an optional "low seat" (as written in the sales brochure). According to the sales brochure, the Seat Height (unladen) is specified at 32.3/33.1 inches; for the optional low seat it is 31.5/32.3 inches. In 2007, most K1200GTs were sold with the standard seats. The low seats were uncommon. There were a lot of queries in these forums from people with standard seats offering to trade for a low seat. I am guessing that the two "posts" under the rider's seat are shorter for the low seats.

--> If you reply here with the "length" of the posts on your rider's seat, we can compare them with ours to see if there is a difference. I suspect you have an ordinary standard seat.

Dealers were reluctant to swap seats between K1200GTs, too (e.g., standard seats for low seats). For one thing, K1200GTs were flying out of the showrooms as quickly as the dealer could assemble them. For another, there were two different color seats (gray and black), depending on the bike paint color. Dealers didn't want to get the "match" wrong either. Lastly, dealers were "leveraging" the rarity of the low seats, reserving them for their favorite customers.

There are two completely different seat designs, too. The early 2007 seats used the same pans and design as the 2006 K1200GT seats. Customers complained a lot to BMW. You saw lots of complaints on these forums, too. Halfway through the 2007 production run, BMW changed the seats to a completely new design. There was no change to the bike itself, just the seat pans and coverings.

2006 and early 2007 K1200GTs have one seat design, late 2007-2011 K1200/1300GTs have the newer design. Whichever one you have, the rider and passenger seats are a matched set - you can't combine an early rider seat with a late passenger seat. Although a few people disagree, most think that the newer version of the seats are a significant improvement. Some people dislike both BMW stock seats.

--> If you reply here with photos of the bottoms of your seats, we can tell you which seat pans you have (2006 vs. 2008...).

You can also look at your VIN# to determine when your K1200GT was assembled, which should determine which type of seat you have (early or late 2007). Perhaps a part number lookup might help you determine whether you have a fairly rare low seat or not. If you do, you may be able to find someone who would be willing to trade your low seats (especially if they were re-done by Sargent) for a standard one.

'Hope this helps.

Last edited by XMagnaRider; May 10th, 2011 at 5:47 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2011, 6:48 am
Enthusiast

Great "try" XMR!

I might add that you could find that the stock seats are just sub-par and need replacing. Lots of posts about Sargent, Corbin, Russell and Mayer seats here on this site.

I've had the Corbin and liked it----but it wasn't adjustable for height and the seat itself is a little shorter front to back than stock and the others. Sold it and got the Sargent standard height and have been pretty pleased.

Lots of folks love the comfort of the Russell and Mayer with their lounge chair lateral support and all-day comfort.

Often, you can find them used in classifieds and on eBay. Search away....and good luck.

Mike M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode