Dealer Cob-Job - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 8:08 pm Thread Starter

Angry Dealer Cob-Job

So I decided that while I had the bike in for a new fuel strip (under warranty) I would have them install the BMW LED auxiliary brake light. I specifically asked if there would be any drilling necessary - "NO", how long will it take "30 minutes" because it's plug & play that's why the kit doesn't have installation instructions.... It took 1.25 Hours to install the light by a BMW technician!!!

Well I was cleaning my bike over the weekend after running it all last week with some wet weather and went WTF? Not only did they drill a hole in the rear fender under the license plate and not plug it, they drilled a hole under the passenger seat with the same disregard for water intrusion...

The wiring harness and LCD brake light connection are exposed under the rear fender rather than any attempt made to protect then from all the gunk, dirt and grime that flies up under the rear fender...

I'm planning to stop over after work tomorrow and speak t them about it (photos in hand as we're getting doused this week in rain...

Here are some photos I took (converted to B&W for clarity)...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT

Last edited by Razel; May 17th, 2011 at 6:18 pm. Reason: Fixed photo tags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 8:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonJeff
So I decided that while I had the bike in for a new fuel strip (under warranty) I would have them install the BMW LED auxiliary brake light. I specifically asked if there would be any drilling necessary - "NO", how long will it take "30 minutes" because it's plug & play that's why the kit doesn't have installation instructions.... It took 1.25 Hours to install the light by a BMW technician!!!

Well I was cleaning my bike over the weekend after running it all last week with some wet weather and went WTF? Not only did they drill a hole in the rear fender under the license plate and not plug it, they drilled a hole under the passenger seat with the same disregard for water intrusion...

The wiring harness and LCD brake light connection are exposed under the rear fender rather than any attempt made to protect then from all the gunk, dirt and grime that flies up under the rear fender...

I'm planning to stop over after work tomorrow and speak t them about it (photos in hand as we're getting doused this week in rain...

Here are some photos I took (converted to B&W for clarity)...

http://jeffguntertphotography.com/Up...0388423web.jpg
http://jeffguntertphotography.com/Up...0388424web.jpg
http://jeffguntertphotography.com/Up...0388425web.jpg
http://jeffguntertphotography.com/Up...0388426web.jpg
http://jeffguntertphotography.com/Up...0388427web.jpg
http://jeffguntertphotography.com/Up...0388428web.jpg
http://jeffguntertphotography.com/Up...0388429web.jpg
http://jeffguntertphotography.com/Up...0388430web.jpg
Sorry I can't seem to ink the photos directly and my searches on the FAQ have been unsuccessful...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 8:22 pm
Veteran

See if this thread helps any:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23698

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI

Yep - I was in that thread as well. My real issue is the lack of professional installation, not running the wire alongside the body parts but gouging a huge hole in the underside of the seat area and not even bothering to plus it up...

Just a half-assed lazy job by trained professionals...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 9:07 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Just a half-assed lazy job by trained professionals...
Well there's your problem...."trained professionals" ?! HA!

I've dealt with my share of BMW shops around the country...and while there still are some good ones with quality techs that do preform professional service....they are becoming few and far between. To refer to the a lot of shop techs that I've had unfortunate experiences with as "trained professional" is an oxymoron. Rhesus monkeys have more common sense.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 10:21 pm

No large hole is needed unless someone was too lazy to remove the pins from the Molex connector and feed just the wires through a small hole. Or, they just didn't know any better. I keep reading about "no instructions" with the aux light kit--it's been a long time since I bought mine for the K1200GT but it definitely came with instructions, and those instructions called for removing the pins from the Molex block, drilling a 5-6mm hole and feeding the wires through, then re-inserting the pins into the Molex block.

I think you should ask the dealership to round up some appropriately sized grommets to help close the hole, then have them properly installed by removing the Molex pins and sliding the wires through the grommets.

Good luck,

GTRider
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 10:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRider
No large hole is needed unless someone was too lazy to remove the pins from the Molex connector and feed just the wires through a small hole. Or, they just didn't know any better. I keep reading about "no instructions" with the aux light kit--it's been a long time since I bought mine for the K1200GT but it definitely came with instructions, and those instructions called for removing the pins from the Molex block, drilling a 5-6mm hole and feeding the wires through, then re-inserting the pins into the Molex block.

I think you should ask the dealership to round up some appropriately sized grommets to help close the hole, then have them properly installed by removing the Molex pins and sliding the wires through the grommets.

Good luck,

GTRider
Thanks for the comments - all of the LED brake light kits we looked at (5 in all I think) none had any instructions whatsoever. I'm going to stop over to the dealer tomorrow and talk with the service manager and IMHO I think they need to make it right which may or may not include a new fender.

My day job is a FSE (Computer hardware technician) and if I ever returned anything to a customer like this, I'd be explaining myself to no end... Just lazy, careless, crappy workmanship that I paid through the nose for...

I didn't want to mess things up on the bike, that's why I had the dealership do it... Lesson learned!

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT

Last edited by NikonJeff; May 16th, 2011 at 10:51 pm.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 4:36 am
Addict

Grommet.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Quote:
I'm going to stop over to the dealer tomorrow and talk with the service manager and IMHO I think they need to make it right which may or may not include a new fender.
New fender is a bit of overkill on this and I seriously doubt they will even consider it, they will say its fine. A rubber grommet will fix this and you could even put some silicone to seal it up better.
Is it right ? NO but its too late now, the hole has been drilled. I would also look at where the wires are because its a safe bet they drilled the hole where it was easiest to drill with very little to no consideration as to where the wires could get caught or chaffe. Half my installation times are spent figuring out the safest way to run wires and then what to remove to make it that way but a shop just looks for the quickest and easiest.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr
New fender is a bit of overkill on this and I seriously doubt they will even consider it, they will say its fine. A rubber grommet will fix this and you could even put some silicone to seal it up better.
Is it right ? NO but its too late now, the hole has been drilled. I would also look at where the wires are because its a safe bet they drilled the hole where it was easiest to drill with very little to no consideration as to where the wires could get caught or chaffe. Half my installation times are spent figuring out the safest way to run wires and then what to remove to make it that way but a shop just looks for the quickest and easiest.
While I agree a new fender might be a bit overkill, it's their f-up not mine and I have the bill to prove it. At minimum it's letting them know how seriously disappointed I am with the workmanship... I appreciate your input in all seriousness.

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode