K1300GT Reliability - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 8:01 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1300GT Reliability

I have a simple question.
After reading a lot of posts on BMW forums how many owners of the 1300 Gt would purchase another one given the chance?
I have a chance to purchase a NEW 2010 1300 GT Exclusive Edition
I have ridden many different biles and I love the power and handling of the 1300 GT over any other of the sport tourers that I have ridden.
However after reading a lot of the posts it seems like the bike has several design flaws and is a mechanical nightmare waiting to pounce.
Mechanics do not scare me. I have rebuilt many vehicles and know one end of a wrench form the other.
Is the 1300 Gt really that bad or is it just a few with problems.

1975 R100S
2007 Ducati 1098S

I feel like a 3XL in a Medium Universe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2011, 8:11 pm
Veteran

I'm outta this one:

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 12:39 am

My opinion: BUY IT.

Knowing in advance that there might be some issues will make the experience go easier, and buying the extended warranty would be a good idea as well. There have been some "nightmares" with the GT's (How's the popcorn, Robert? ) and the data might suggest that there are more catastrophic failures with this engine. But there may be ways to avoid the worst of these issues as well.

I like to wrench on my vehicles, and my opinion would be a definite "YES" to buy it. But I sure don't claim to be normal, either...and I'm on my 2nd GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 7:52 am
Noob

I love the ride of my GT more than just about any bike I've ridden and that includes the K1600 GTL that I test drove. Quick and nimble for around town and commuting but comfortable on the long haul. However, it has been the most unreliable bike I've owned. I've experienced a flange failure 500 miles from home. Got it fixed and within a couple of weeks had a final drive failure and master cylinder failure. Couple of weeks after that the ABS pump went out. Now that it has most major parts replaced, I'm going to keep it and continue to ride it.

From what I'm told by the dealer and on here, I am the rare exception and the odds were very low for these failures. That doesn't help much when pulling out that checkbook.

If you enjoy the bike, buy it but be sure to get the extended warranty. I have never purchased an extended warranty on any large purchase because they are mostly profit centers for the vendor. However with this bike I feel it is required. Wish I had one, it would have saved me thousands of dollars.

Good luck. The GT is a very fun ride and it sits in the perfect place between a sports bike and a touring bike.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 8:28 am

Valid concerns and questions.....however.

1). Bare in mind internet forums tend to a magnet for problems that are experienced.

2). Take a look at the data on this forum for a clearer picture of how many forum members actually have had problems based on percentage....it's quite low, but still a point to consider.

Having said that, the 10K13GT is pretty well sorted out compared to earlier models. The issue with the cam chain tensioner failing and thus allowing the chain to jump off the sprocket has been addressed by BMW and can be performed by your dealer installing the jump guards on your bike if it concerns you that much.

The tensioner on the 13GT is a slightly different design based on what I am told and could be part of the reason why this problem has not affected the 13Gt as much as the 12GT.

The bottom line is that I was in the same quandry last year when I bought mine. To me this issues occurr on a small percentage of machines, and can be avoided for the most part by being proactive and having the jumpguards put on. I would also reccomend an Odyssey battery at some point, as the factory battery seems to be a bit weak.

It's an incredible bike and the odds of a happy experience are vastly on your side..more so if you heed some proactive advice here and there.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 11:43 am

a lot of the issues the GT has were from the 12's but people here just say "My GT broke" and its assumed the 13's is included in that list. So you can't always look at this forum and say the bike is unreliable, since you don't know if the problem is a issue on the 12's or a continuing problem with the 13's or solved with the 13's.

I say get the bike and never look back, its the best bike out there.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 12:08 pm
Veteran

In defense of the "Be wary of reading it on the internet" remark, the counter to that is that many dealers still do not even know of the "jump guard" either. Not much of a push-program to get it installed either from BMW.

Funny how the "Internet rumor mill" has been the method by which some dealer's learn what's really going on and get it from their customers too. Without the internet, I doubt if 90% of the dealers would even know of the part and it's availability still. BMW Motherland isn't exactly forthcoming with reliability/failure info that owner's and dealers can use nor of any suspect parts. Couple that with bulletins the dealers rarely read too until someone explains it to them - usually firsthand - and with the "I read this on the internet" comment.

I fear this blown engine stuff is bigger than BMW Motherland lets onto since they made the special part and very quietly put it out there. If it were "just a couple on the internet complaining about it" they could ignore it, but to make a part available for all models of the K44 series is suspicious at best. They know the real failure rate so it must have been bigger than they had previously anticipated with the original design.

To that end, the internet has surely become the bane of the manufacturers and some inept dealers too. It's more their "Quality Control Info Board" now, and it could also cost them dearly too.

My

Mack
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 2:41 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
In defense of the "Be wary of reading it on the internet" remark, the counter to that is that many dealers still do not even know of the "jump guard" either. Not much of a push-program to get it installed either from BMW.

Funny how the "Internet rumor mill" has been the method by which some dealer's learn what's really going on and get it from their customers too. Without the internet, I doubt if 90% of the dealers would even know of the part and it's availability still. BMW Motherland isn't exactly forthcoming with reliability/failure info that owner's and dealers can use nor of any suspect parts. Couple that with bulletins the dealers rarely read too until someone explains it to them - usually firsthand - and with the "I read this on the internet" comment.

I fear this blown engine stuff is bigger than BMW Motherland lets onto since they made the special part and very quietly put it out there. If it were "just a couple on the internet complaining about it" they could ignore it, but to make a part available for all models of the K44 series is suspicious at best. They know the real failure rate so it must have been bigger than they had previously anticipated with the original design.

To that end, the internet has surely become the bane of the manufacturers and some inept dealers too. It's more their "Quality Control Info Board" now, and it could also cost them dearly too.

My

Mack
OK...I'm almost out of this one....

What he said.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack

My

Mack
Interesting.

I have not read of forum members that have proceeded with the jump guard having difficulty with their local dealers being uninformed or having any problems getting the work done.

As I believe you are directing your comments at my earlier post, it's worth noting that I did not say to be weary. Rather, that forums do tend to attract people with problems, and that it would behoove one to not cite them as the definitive source for information.

You make some good points however, and they apply almost universally to all manufacturers...not just BMW. To that end, the forums are quite useful.

Last edited by eng943; May 17th, 2011 at 8:02 pm.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng943
Interesting.

I have not read of forum members that have proceeded with the jump guard having difficulty with their local dealers being uninformed or having any problems getting the work done.

As I believe you are directing your comments at my earlier post, it's worth noting that I did not say to be weary. Rather, that forums do tend to attract people with problems, and that it would behoove one to not cite them as the definitive source for information.

You make some good points however, and they apply almost universally to all manufacturers...not just BMW. To that end, the forums are quite useful.
My dealer in Charlotte NC did not know about the jump guard or chain/gear upgrades until I told them based on this forum. Of course my timing chain already jumped and bent all valves and BMW is backordered on new heads.

I think the 1300GT will be fine as long as you don't put too many miles on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in