Yet another Extended warranty question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2011, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Red face Yet another Extended warranty question

I've been through just about every thread I can find in the search function but would love to get some more details from those who have an extended warranty.

I have a 2008 K1200GT still under warranty until July and am giving serious consideration to an extended warranty just to ease my fears of the so many possible issue that seem to discusses on an almost daily basis on the boards.

MAX BMW in NY is offering a policy from Nautilus (administered by Interstate in Uniondale, NY) that goes 3 more years beyond the factory warranty with no mileage limit for about $1700 and supposedly has very similar coverage to the BMW warranty.

Bob's BMW in MD is offering a policy from Zurich which goes 84 months from the motorcycle in service date (adds 4 years beyond the factory warranty) with no mileage limit for $1579 with NO deductible.

Contego also quoted me a Cycle Max Pinnacle warranty (warranty is actually by NAC) that goes an additional 3 years beyond the factory warranty for $1237 with a $50 deductible and no mileage limit.

Does anyone have RECENT personal experience with any of these companies or tell me how well they and the B<W dealership played with one another?

Thanks for your insight!
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Addict

I have Interstate Star purchased through Lone Star BMW in Austin. My '06 GT is currently in their shop for a cam chain jump (I hope thats all it is). Supposedly, with the Diamond coverage, the cam chain is covered. I took the bike in 5/13 (yeah I know....bad day) and have not heard back yet. As soon as I do and I find out what Interstate covers, I'll drop a post out here.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2011, 12:11 pm
Veteran

Hey, I got one I paid $1,700 for on my GT from the now defunct "BMW of Santa Cruz County" wheeler-dealer. I'll sell it to you for half that. Wanna buy it?

Of course, there will be a ton of disclaimers attached to it too. Like "Good luck with this worthless piece of crap paper."

I'll even toss in an Amana refrigerator extended warranty for free too with the above disclaimer from some other defunct appliance dealer.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2011, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Doug - please let us know what the outcome of your service is, and if you get a chance pop over to Driftwood and send up some Brisket from the Salt Lick would ya Some Elgin sausage would do too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I have Interstate Star purchased through Lone Star BMW in Austin. My '06 GT is currently in their shop for a cam chain jump (I hope thats all it is). Supposedly, with the Diamond coverage, the cam chain is covered. I took the bike in 5/13 (yeah I know....bad day) and have not heard back yet. As soon as I do and I find out what Interstate covers, I'll drop a post out here.

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2011, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Umm thanks for the offer Mack - but I live in the state of New York, we have all the worthless paper we can handle... It's called legislation up here

I'm assuming that the warranty thorough BMW Santa Cruz was not theirs but an actual company??? I certainly hope you don't have a $1700 piece of toilet paper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Hey, I got one I paid $1,700 for on my GT from the now defunct "BMW of Santa Cruz County" wheeler-dealer. I'll sell it to you for half that. Wanna buy it?

Of course, there will be a ton of disclaimers attached to it too. Like "Good luck with this worthless piece of crap paper."

I'll even toss in an Amana refrigerator extended warranty for free too with the above disclaimer from some other defunct appliance dealer.

Mack

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2011, 8:21 am
Enthusiast

I just posted in another thread on this topic. The extended warranty I purchased for my '03 GT in '06 was pretty much worthless. The exclusions were for anything that was a 'wear' item or associated with the transmission. So in the 60k miles since I purchased the bike I ended up paying for everything that went wrong with the exception of a cam chain tensioner, which with labor, ran about $400 if memory serves me correctly. Even that was like pulling teeth!
I've since moved on to a '10 GT and I'm still working on the factory warranty. If you find something decent out there please be sure and post it as I'm sure I'm going to run out of miles before I run out of years!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2011, 10:24 am
Veteran

OK here's what I bought after the fact and I have yet to put it to the test. However I can assure you that if the dealer I bought it from doesn't stand by when needed for a legit cause I'll be wearing handcuffs.

What I did like about it was that they actually spelled out everything word for word, it was sold by a BMW dealer....and it's Zurich. Don't think they'll be going belly up any time soon.

Any how here: (right click and view image if it's too small)

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2011, 1:53 pm
IBR# 366

My extended warranty was completely useless.

Apparently, they don't cover anything coolant-related, so when my K12GT overheated due to a failed coolant elbow and took out the engine, they simply said "sorry, too bad" and walked away.

Screw you, Western Services.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2011, 2:35 pm

I picked up the Zurich from Bob's, since he services my bike. Last service, they noticed the center stand bracket was broken. Zurich picked up the cost no problems.

I normally don't do extended warrenties on anything, but after a few posts by Robert and Meese on some of the experienced issues went for one.
Sometimes, the piece of mind is well worth it.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2011, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTbone
I picked up the Zurich from Bob's, since he services my bike. Last service, they noticed the center stand bracket was broken. Zurich picked up the cost no problems.

I normally don't do extended warrenties on anything, but after a few posts by Robert and Meese on some of the experienced issues went for one.
Sometimes, the piece of mind is well worth it.
Hey Terry,
What length warranty did you get and how much was it??? I spoke to Tim at Bob's and was quoted $1529 for 84 months...
Thanks!
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode