Whatizit strap? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2011, 4:29 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Whatizit strap?

OK, I give up. The elastic strap inside both saddle bags has me flummoxed. It has a nifty little plastic hook doodad that slides ever so neatly back and forth. What's the purpose of this strap gizmo? It's too high up to retain a bag, is it supposed to hook onto something? Pleh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2011, 5:31 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

You pull the top strap down from the middle, and the bottom strap up, and hook them together, forming a sort of wide "X". The idea is to hold your stuff in place when you open the case while it's still attached to your bike. It kinda works for me depending on what I have stashed in there, but I've always wished for something a little more substantial, like maybe a cargo net.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2011, 5:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you! I didn't see the bottom strap, will now go and look for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2011, 2:30 pm
Addict

Or take the straps out and use a seperate bag.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2011, 6:50 am
Addict

Guys, have some more coffee. Let's not over think this. Straps. Bags.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2011, 10:11 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Guys, have some more coffee. Let's not over think this. Straps. Bags.

Now if you get the right type of rope you can weave a basket type panel that can hold that strap in place.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2011, 2:16 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
Or take the straps out and use a seperate bag.
Here is a great thread discussing the various saddlebag liners for KGTs:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22629

I have the BMW liners, and would not want to take out the straps in my side cases. For one, they keep the liners from falling out unexpectedly when the side case is opened on the bike, especially when the bike is on the kickstand. For two, they are very useful when I don't use the liners, which is often, especially for local rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
Now if you get the right type of rope you can weave a basket type panel that can hold that strap in place.
When you're done laughing, I remember seeing a post where a guy cut thick plastic sheets (about "tupperware" thickness) that spanned across the bottom of the side cases and another that spanned across the bottom of the lids. The sheets formed "pockets" or "bins" in the cases, so that you could put all manner of items in them and they would not fall out when the case lids were opened. Clever. I wish I could find the photo of his work. I do remember that he used the straps to hold the case-side sheet in place.

---------------------

Important hint for Mark (GUILDD55) and other newbies:

See how your side cases have retracting cords that keep the lid from opening too far? See the tabs at the end of the cords, where they insert into a matching tab that is attached to the side case? Those tabs can easily pop out accidentally.

--> Get tie wraps (cable ties) and loop them through the holes where the cord tabs are inserted. Verify that the tie wraps prevent the cord tabs from popping out.

Do it now!
... I will wait here until you are done.

This will prevent a painful-to-watch mishap where the bike is on the kickstand, you open the left side case, the cord pops out and retracts, and the lid scrapes the pavement. It also prevents the hinges from hyperextending.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
When you're done laughing, I remember seeing a post where a guy cut thick plastic sheets (about "tupperware" thickness) that spanned across the bottom of the side cases and another that spanned across the bottom of the lids. The sheets formed "pockets" or "bins" in the cases, so that you could put all manner of items in them and they would not fall out when the case lids were opened. Clever. I wish I could find the photo of his work. I do remember that he used the straps to hold the case-side sheet in place.
Aeroflow used to make those for the older system cases. I made my own for my R1100RS, and made one up for the left case of my GT too. I also have the Cee Bailey liners for it, but only use them when packing for a trip. For day to day stuff, the panel keeps things from falling out of the left case when opened up and parked on the sidestand. I'll try to remember to get some pictures and post them when I have a chance. I made the panel from a sheet of 1/8" acrylic (PlexiGlass). Just traced the shape of the case on it and the location of the strapps slots and cut it out on the band saw. The slots I just drilled and filed out. Not a big job, probably a half hours work went into it, the material was on hand, so basically free.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode