Best 1300gt Manual? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:06 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Best 1300gt Manual?

Just wondering what manual is the best. I need to mount an alarm and it looks as if the Gorilla alarm which has the pager is too big for any location under the seat. I understand there is room under the left fairing. I am also 450 miles from the nearest dealer and will need to do some of my own work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 1:07 pm
Veteran

So you really just need to get the fairing panel off? Because there are lots of helpful tips on the "Hall of Wisdom" (HOW), including removing fairing panels.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 2:33 pm
Veteran

I don't know if this hint is in the HOW. The panel screws come in several different sizes. It is easy to get them mixed up. To keep them organized, do the following:

* Take a photo of each side panel, then print them.
* Tape the prints to cardboard box lids.
* As you remove each screw, punch it through the photo (and lid) in the place on the photo that matches where you removed the screw. The cardboard will hold the screw in place.
* When you are ready to attach the panels, you know where each screw belongs.
* Save the lids and photos for next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 3:26 pm
Veteran

Only manual is the one from BMW that I know of. No book types that Ive found.

I use a Scorpio alarm and it is mounted in the curved left fairing piece under the pillion seat with Velcro. Antenna wire goes out some small drainage hole in the back and down between the two fender pieces. I mounted their proximity unit under the main driver's seat with Velcro on top of the oil bag so it gets a perp walking up to the bike and I get the alert on the pocket fob too. Far better alarm than the Gorilla that lacks that proximity feature.

Scorpio works so well I put it on the smaller S1000RR too. It's proximity alarm did alert me to some ingrates who were maybe planning on stealing it once at a shopping mall when it went into full alert and sent me the signal where I went out and saw some suspicious guys standing on the sidewalk. I sort of stared at them for a while and they wandered off.

Mack
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2011, 10:54 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Bmw Manual Purchased $95

Not in stock for 2 weeks but the Canadian price is good.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2011, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Only manual is the one from BMW that I know of. No book types that Ive found.

I use a Scorpio alarm and it is mounted in the curved left fairing piece under the pillion seat with Velcro. Antenna wire goes out some small drainage hole in the back and down between the two fender pieces. I mounted their proximity unit under the main driver's seat with Velcro on top of the oil bag so it gets a perp walking up to the bike and I get the alert on the pocket fob too. Far better alarm than the Gorilla that lacks that proximity feature.

Scorpio works so well I put it on the smaller S1000RR too. It's proximity alarm did alert me to some ingrates who were maybe planning on stealing it once at a shopping mall when it went into full alert and sent me the signal where I went out and saw some suspicious guys standing on the sidewalk. I sort of stared at them for a while and they wandered off.

Mack
I was also going to mention that the Scorpio is a nice, small unit. I have mine mounted on a plate that is screwed to my "empty" mounting point (factory alarm spot I believe, or maybe traction control unit) under the passenger seat. Put the proximity sensor on the oil tank as suggested here (by you I believe).

I just installed mine a few weeks ago, and haven't had a chance to use it "for real" yet (love bugs in Florida have kept me off the bike). But home testing shows that it seems to work as intended. Nice stuff.

Everyone was very helpful on my earlier alarm thread and I actually printed out the thread to use as reference when installing the alarm.

To be honest, it was a fairly involved job to install it with all the bells and whistles I wanted. I'm a little electronics-challenged, but had professional help (Dad), so didn't fry anything. Just have to take your time and test along the way.

But, I tend to want the farkles working on the bike about the time I decide to order them, so patience is sometimes in short supply!

Smilodon

2008 K1200GT
Deep Blue Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode