Mounting A Magnetic Tank Bag? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:14 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Mounting A Magnetic Tank Bag?

Is it possible to add rare earth magnets to the underside of the plastic to align with the magnets in a magnetic tank bag to hold the bag? AND/ OR add a few straps as well as the extra magnets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:37 am
Enthusiast

Garage
I use a strap mount bag on my GT.
My sons uses a magnetic mounted bag on his bike with a steel tank, but it still requires A "safety retension strap" for just in case. (maybe because it's a Hayabusa )

There are several mounts to bolts at the gas filler such as this

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ght=tank+mount

Aerostitch has some nice mounts off the filler cap bolts and they are only a couple of hours ride down to Duluth.

Having had the tank plastic over off I think there is room to epoxy magnets to match the bag, I would double sided tape them to locate and get the polarity right before I glued them in place, might work well enough with the tape to go with it and not bother gluing

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2011, 1:26 pm
Veteran

I used magnetic tank bags on my Honda Magna. Both of them came with a safety strap that looped to the handlebar to make sure that the bag didn't fly off the tank. The straps had plastic buckles for a quick disconnect, so you could leave the strap dangling from the handlebar if you weren't using it.

I did not like the magnetic tank bags because:

* You couldn't put credit cards, portable hard drives, and other magnetically sensitive items in them or near them.

* When you carry the magnetic tank bags around, they pick up small metal objects such as staples, paper clips, pins, needles, screws, bolts, etc. Despite careful checking, you miss metal objects and then they scratch your tank.

* The magnets would eventually wear through the bag and scratch your tank, too.

* The magnets didn't stick if a bag was full, or had a rigid object in it. You would be riding down the freeway, and suddenly the bag would fly up and hit you in the chest, or dangle by the safety strap on the side of the bike, or both.

Better solution: Try the Bags Connection tank bags with the SW-Motech mount. They are expensive, but oh so worth it. They lock positively in place, and there are so many options to choose from. I have had my Engage bag for three years, and it still looks new after 36,000 miles. (I wish I had an Engage XL, too. Maybe for my birthday. )

You can get them at Pirates Lair or Twisted Throttle. Pirate is an active member of these forums, and I recommend him highly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:21 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for info

Thanks for the info. I am presently looking up the different bags. I do not see the Engage XL on any of the sites. Does this one start small and expand? Will it fit the 1300gt properly?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2011, 8:40 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr
Thanks for the info. I am presently looking up the different bags. I do not see the Engage XL on any of the sites. Does this one start small and expand? Will it fit the 1300gt properly?
You can find the Engage XL at Twisted Throttle, which has a fairly complete collection of Bags Connection bags.

The Engage XL is a double tall version of the Engage, so it has twice the volume. It does not expand. I go on long rides, and keep a 1.5 liter (litre) Camelbak liner in my Engage to stay hydrated while riding. When it is completely full of water and ice, the Camelbak liner takes up nearly all of the wide front space. After that, there is enough room for my camera, cellphone, and a few small items, but not much more. It would be nice to carry a larger Camelbak, and also have more room for other stuff. I originally bought the Engage because I wanted a small bag, not one that is luggage-size.

The Engage tank bags fit the contours of the KGT tank very well, although I suspect that the other Bags Connection tank bags that are wider at the bottom will still mount high enough that they won't interfere with your legs or the operation of the motorcycle. YMMV

In the interest of full disclosure, there is one caution about the Engage and many other tank bags, related to the GT: If you turn the handlebars full-lock to the left, the GT's horn button may come into contact with the tank bag. It isn't a big deal, but it can happen on occasion. If you own a K1200GT, you can buy a special horn guard from Wunderlich. This is a superb design, but it uses the left mirror hole, which is available on the K1200GT, but not the K1300GT due to its newer switchgear. See:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...6/8500247.html.

Bottom line: I really like the SW-Motech mount. It has a positive lock that is very easy to use, you can buy it with or without electrical connections, and there are so many varieties of bags, camera mounts, and more that fit it. I really like the Engage bag as well, because it is so well built. All of the Bags Connection tank bags support a variety of accessories, including GPS mounts, map pockets, electrical connectors, etc.

I am attaching some photos that I took when I installed the Engage tank bag on my K1200GT. I took them in November 2008, and the Engage tank bag still looks brand new, after only 36,000 miles of use.

(Hint: Whenever you work on your bike, and especially when you install accessories, take photos. You never know when they might come in handy.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Engage Installation.zip (1.55 MB, 11 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode