Opinions on New Bike Options - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

Opinions on New Bike Options

Hey Everyone,

I would really appreciate your opinion on the following.

Scenario: I would like to involve my SO more in riding and hence would like to ensure her total comfort when taking long-distance trips/tours. I currently have a 2001 R1100S and have upgraded as much as I can (I think) to make it as comfortable as possible (new seat, handlebar risers). I am considering obtaining a new bike more geared towards the touring side but also want to retain sportiness.

Options:

1. Trade-in my current bike and buy new K1200GT - would likely have to dish out of my pocket $19,500CDN difference (I'm in Canada).
2. Keep my current bike and buy new (or slightly used) Yamaha FJR1300 - I can pick up a new 2005 FJR for $17,120CDN.
3. Keep my current bike and continue to try and make it more passenger friendly (i.e. ask my SO to suck it up! )

Please let me know which option you would select if you were in the same predicament.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 3:10 pm
Addict

i would do everything to make the SO happy and if she's not comfortable on your current bike then you have to consider upgrading to something else. i don't like the heat problem on the FJR and i'm not convinced yamaha has solved it. with the new KGT there's no guarantee she'll be more comfortable on it but i believe it will satisfy your desire to keep something sporty. your best bet is to test ride the FJR and the new GT with your SO and see how she likes it.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 3:20 pm

Neither the new K12GT nor the FJR1300 will be as light and quick to turn as your R11S, although the power will help make up for size and weight. What is best is what feels best to you. Demo and decide.

What about a K12LT to compliment your R11S? That is as comfy a bike for a passenger as was ever made. It has nowhere near the power of the FJR or the new GT (or current GT), but will eat miles and carry a bunch while doing it.

When the new GT comes out, do a demo on that and the R12RT. I have no idea how they will compare, but the R might be more pillion friendly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

Angry K1200GT Demo Issue

The local (and only) BMW dealer in Calgary is not getting any demo models of the K1200GT. They've been allocated three of them and all are going to be sold. I've put a deposit on one of the three but they will not allow me to ride it as part of the conditions of the sale. I can only look at it and sit on it and have to make my decision based on that - if I want one of the three that is.

Otherwise anyone wanting to ride a K1200GT in Calgary will have to wait for the BMW Test Rides day (BMW Canada tours the country with demo bikes in all models from dealer to dealer) which will be in late May by which time the three allocated to Calgary will have been sold.

Sucks.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 3:51 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy451
The local (and only) BMW dealer in Calgary is not getting any demo models of the K1200GT. They've been allocated three of them and all are going to be sold. I've put a deposit on one of the three but they will not allow me to ride it as part of the conditions of the sale. I can only look at it and sit on it and have to make my decision based on that - if I want one of the three that is.
Let me get this straight. This clown wants you to fork out$26,000 (CDN) without ever being able to try the bike to see if you even LIKE it??

No car dealer would get away with that!

Wait a few months until production catches up with demand. Then buy from someone else (maybe in Edmonton).

Bob.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 4:00 pm
Just saying hey

The "heat issue" surrounding the FJR seems to be somewhat rider-oriented. I have an '03 with 40K miles and don't experience the heat. I do wear ATGATT which may have some effect, and the vast majority of my riding is at speed, not is stop-and-go situations so draw your own conclusions. I (and my pillion) find the FJR to be an extremely comfortable tourer, although it is not the same ride as the LT..nor is it meant to be.
Just my $.02
Best wishes on your new steed!

Rich
'06 K1200R
'03 FJR 1300
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Otherwise anyone wanting to ride a K1200GT in Calgary will have to wait for the BMW Test Rides day (BMW Canada tours the country with demo bikes in all models from dealer to dealer) which will be in late May by which time the three allocated to Calgary will have been sold.

Sucks.

In no shape or form would I buy a bike without a test ride. After having bought a first year version of a BMW bike before I am even more leery of doing that now
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:02 pm
Looking for better limits...

Go back to the dealer, get your deposit back, and tell them when you can test ride it alone and with the SO, you'll consider purchasing one. Also, you might contact BMW of Canada and see if they have any "suggestions". The dealers mindset right now probably is everyone wants one and they don't have to offer rides. Other dealers are some distance away, but call and check with them as well. Could very well be that they get to do this on the initial run of the new GT, but don't rush. If it doesn't fit you and the SO, then what? Sell it at a loss and try again?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 7:02 am

Exclamation

I am not sure if you can add a backrest to the 1100, but I added the pirate's backrest to my rs. It is removable. Alot of passengers feel more comfortable being able to lean back and know there is something holding them on behind them.

I would check to see specifically what she has a problem with before you consider buying a new bike. I have ridden with a bunch of people who bought specific bikes and parts to satisfy their passengers, then found that their passengers very rarely ride with them anyway. (writer included...)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:05 am

Quote:

Sucks.
Well they won't sell many in my neighborhood with that attitude. Jeez, even a Porsche driver gets to test them. Someone needs an attitude adjustment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode