Broken Plastic Side Panel Pin - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2011, 10:12 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Broken Plastic Side Panel Pin

On the K1200 Gts inside the side panels there are a couple of plastic pins on each side that go into rubber donut -like things on the motorcycle subframe. I guess they help locate and stabilize the side panels. One of those broke while panel removal was going on.
Has anyone else had this happen? How'd you repair it short of getting a whole new panel? Just asking! Frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2011, 10:57 pm

plastic repair

There are some " crazy glue " products out there that work extremely well. Not perfect but really good considering its a one part product. I Just used a newer one to the market to save a $700 radiator on a 2011 Outlander that I rebuilt. ( had to glue a pin on nearly identical to your pin. ) This option is the easiest and cheapest. If it doesn't work then not much is lost. The next and best option is an automotive plastic repair adhesive. I work in a body shop and know these product work best, but are expensive. - about $40 - $60 a tube. Plus you need the dispenser gun that is even more $$. If you have a friend at a body shop they should be able to do a one sided repair if it hasn't cracked through.

I would look for the crazy glue stuff. I can't remember the name on hand, but it came with a powder that you put on AFTER the two pieces are set together with glue. You sprinkle it on the glue where it squeezes out of the break. It cured really fast and held the locator pin onto my radiator very well. I tried to break it off but couldn't with a fair amount of force.

Hope this helps.

Jerome
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2011, 10:29 am

How about drilling the pin and installing a small metal rod to support it with epoxy glue to hold it all together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2011, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
How about drilling the pin and installing a small metal rod to support it with epoxy glue to hold it all together.
If there is enough material in the affected area this could help, but i wouldn't use epoxy glues. 2 part urethane adhesives will chemically bond whereas epoxies seem to only mechanically grab.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromy
If there is enough material in the affected area this could help, but i wouldn't use epoxy glues. 2 part urethane adhesives will chemically bond whereas epoxies seem to only mechanically grab.
I'm not familiar with urethane adhesive properties. That's good to know.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2011, 10:21 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Broken Plastic Side Panel Pin

I think I may have it mended. spafxer, your idea could have merit now I've been through it.
It was the upper left pin, left side of m/c. The BIG deal with it is there is scarecely any material to work with in terms of a "glue type" repair.
BUT: the pin sits up on a sort of pedestal molded out from the inside of the side panel skin. Between the inner side of the panel and the molded on tripod from which the pin protrudes is an open space about 3/4"x 3/4"x3/4". Not a very robust deal, BMW!

Anyhow I spotted a scrap small cube of styrofoam in my basement. Carved it to fit in the space under the tripod base-end of the pin. Added 2 very thin "shims" of very thin scrap
plastic. Tried using a pair of long nose vise grips to clamp the tripod base- end of the pin so it was held vertically...idea WORKED!

Took it apart. Mixed my really old 2 tube epoxy gunk. Put a fair bit on buut NOT TOO MUCH! Reclamped it all very carefully using a layer of thin wood TO PROTECT THE OUTSIDE face of the panel from the vise grip jaw. Six hrs. later...pretty solid. Laid on another thin layer of epoxy. Appears almost as solid as the others now.

I'm not really sure how critical these things are to the fit and stability of those side panels now I have done this. Imean, we do have ALL THOSE FREAKIN' 10 OR 11 SCREWS!
Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this aspect of thedeal. Is this BMW overkill? Do you guys think these 2 pins on each side are really essential? I mean, if you couldn't mend it and they were real critical; is BMW gonna make me buy a brand new one of their stinkin' panels 'cause a 1" plastic pin snapped???!!!! (Yeah they prolly would like that!!)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2011, 11:29 pm
Veteran

I don't think the pin is a critical part as the panel is screw intensive as it is with the little one at the upper front edge too. The grommet in mine eventually rotted away (typical BMW rubber bits) and was MIA for a while. I could tap on the panel and get a rattle. I found another grommet and put it in.

One might even get away with Velcro or that 3M bed-of-nails type Velcro sold at Radio Shack too. You could put a large head flat bolt in where the grommet was and put the Velcro on top of it and on the inside of the panel too if the rattle bugs you.

Mack
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2011, 11:52 am
Noob

A lttle late now, but I always use a little silicone grease (dielectric) on the rubber ovals to ease panel removal/installation on all the BMW's I have had.

Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode